The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2019, 08:32 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Please disregard.
Old January 9, 2019, 04:13 PM   #27
cw308

Reloaded 45 ACP with the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp taper die . Everything went great ! As with any tool it has to be used correctly . In every step in reloading there should be no reason to muscle your way through . With the help of people on this forum I feel I found the perfect combination of dies . First I deprime of course then size with the original RCBS carbide sizing die , Lyman expander M die for the bell and to level the bullet in the case , Hornady sleeved seating die to perfectly guide the bullet into the case and set the OAL . Now the Lee FCD to remove the bell or crimp. ( make sure the sleeve is in correctly , taper facing down. ) I could see it could cause a problem after cleaning , easy to install wrong . Will work perfect if brass is the same make for brass thickness . When sizing is correct at each step dies don't have to work so hard . The FCD you can feel when your loads aren't in line . Bottom line is I like the die very much so far , only loaded 100 . You can feel the difference in case thickness , MAXXTECH is the thickest I ever came across and the die removed the bell with no problem , one drand at a time will keep reloading trouble free on every step . Hope this helps someone .

Chris
Old January 9, 2019, 07:35 PM   #28
pete2

I shoot cast bullets in my .45s. On some brass I get a bulge where the base of the bullet is. This bulge doesn't seem to matter in my 1911 pistols, the chambers are all large enough to pass the plunk test. I also shoot a 625 revolver. The chambers in the 625 are tighter and it needs ammo nearer to factory spec or the ammo won't pass the plunk test so I use a Lee Factory crimp die for all 45 ammo. I thought it might affect accuracy but as far as I can tell it does not. I have not tested it in a machine rest at 50 yards so it may cause some accuracy problems. For my normal IDPA style practice I can't see any difference. It'll put all shots in the head at 25 yards.
Old January 9, 2019, 08:23 PM   #29
cw308

pete2
Nice shooting , it's hard not to get case bulge on thick cases , I found the Lyman Expander M die very good , instead of a flare it forms more of a level cup to hold the bullet straight in the case . I'm shooting .451 45 FMJ I get a slight bulge on thick cases but it's even all the way around . All tested in a case gage . Now all the cases fit in the case gage no need for the plunk .the chamber on my Colt isn't so sloppy , I have to reload as straight as possible

The Lyman expander M die and the Hornady sleeved seating die work much better the the original RCBS 45 ACP Carbide 3 die set . What's your set up , I never shot lead cast bullets.
Old January 10, 2019, 10:02 AM   #30
603Country

It’s amazing that the Lee FCD can be so reviled. Love it or hate it. I use one for one gun, my Colt Python. When shooting cast bullets, sometimes the rounds won’t chamber (maybe 1 out of 25). They’ll chamber in the 686, but I suppose the Python has a tighter fit. Run em through the FC Die, and the problem is solved.

I think the problem is a small variation in the cast bullet diameter, which the FCD brings to proper diameter.
Old January 10, 2019, 11:20 AM   #31
mikld

If you believe your handloads need sizing as a final step, use an FCD for handgun (more confusion is added to these posts by people just saying "factory crimp die", but there are three types of FCDs; the unnecessary FCD for handgun calibers is a post crimping sizing die. The FCD for rifle calibers is a collet crimp die (good tool), and they now offer an FCD for handgun calibers that is a collet crimp die (also a good tool). My experience with FCDs is pretty much, I wasted my money. I bought one in 44 Magnum out of curiosity and it now resided in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon. I ruined my perfectly sized cast bullets so I punched out the carbide ring. The resulting crimp was just so-so, so I went back to my Redding Profile Crimp. I have been reloading semi-auto ammo for a bit over 25 years and have never had a need to "post crimp size" any handloads (7 guns, 3 different calibers), and 99.99% of my handloads chamber easily (if some don't, I would find out why and fix it, not hide the problem)...

Quote:
Run em through the FC Die, and the problem is solved.
The problem wasn't solved, just covered up...

Last edited by mikld; January 10, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 10, 2019, 11:56 AM   #32
pete2

CW308, M die is not an option, I load on a Dillon 550B. I have to use the Dillon expander.
It doesn't matter on my 1911 guns, all 5 have chambers that will accept ammo with the hump, even with bullets .453" dia. It's the revolver I have to load for. If I wasn't lazy I would pick out all Remington brass for the revolver.
Old January 10, 2019, 12:43 PM   #33
Reloadron

I use the RCBS P/N 18915 which is the 3 die carbide set with the taper crimp die, including the here nor there RCBS P/N 702837 seater plug pack RN/SWC. Loading for a variety of 45 ACP pistols.

Since you mentioned:
Quote:
Was reading about the Lee factory crimp die , what's your feelings on the Lee to replace the RCBS ?
I think you can see there is a mixed bag of answers regarding the Lee FCD ranging from it sucks and you don't need it to it's the best tool and better than factory sliced bread. Here is an old thread on the subject, lee factory crimp die for 45acp. The die also shows up in other gun discussion forums so let Google be your friend. My view is pretty simple, buy the die and see if it works for you or improves things for you. The single die is under $20 and the entire Lee 4 die set is under $45. You can never have too many dies I guess.

So really see what works for you the fact that some think it's great and others see no need is really here nor there as it is about what works for you.

Ron
Old January 10, 2019, 01:23 PM   #34
zeke

"So really see what works for you the fact that some think it's great and others see no need is really here nor there as it is about what works for you."

Probable the best advise, and maybe posters could apply this to just about all the advise/suggestions/considerations given or asked for on a forum.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:48 PM   #35
kmw1954

Been involved with a number of these FCD threads as of late and they all end the same way. Those that don't like it or think it unnecessary they have the option to not use it and to their opinion on it. Not going to argue that or try to convince them otherwise.

What gets me though is the attitude that if one is using the die then there must be something wrong with the ammunition and by using the die they are only applying a band-aide instead of fixing the problem. Those that think that way can keep doing so but I fully disagree with that thinking.

I have a EAA Witness 45acp that hates reloaded ammunition. It will fire any and all factory rounds I've run thru it w/o a hiccup. Try running reloads and there appears all sorts of problems. FTF, FTE, Failure to go into battery. Yet I can take these same reloaded rounds and run them thru my Springfield, or either of my friends Taurus 1911 or their EAA Witness 45 and Ruger and they all run just fine. There is nothing wrong with this ammunition, it's the gun. And no I'm not going to send the gun out for barrel work when I can add a $30.00 die that corrects the problem and allows me to use reloaded ammunition in this gun.

Before I purchased this Witness I was and am loading for 2 different 380's, 2 different 9mm's and 1 45acp and never used a FCD ever. Didn't even own one. If it wasn't for this one particular gun I still wouldn't own one. All the 380 and 9mm I load is all reloaded using plain old everyday Lee 3-die sets and they all perform admirably.
Old January 10, 2019, 05:58 PM   #36
cw308

I gave the FCD a try and I like it , after seating on my single stage I screwed in the FCD ran the case to the top felt some sight resistance going in and at the top stroke , no bulge and all bottomed in the Lyman case gage . Using the RCBS seater/crimp die , I used in separate steps it worked good . The case wall seems smoother with the FCD . I'm only shooting FMJ's. If you haven't tried one I would recommend a try .
Old January 11, 2019, 11:20 AM   #37
mikld

If I owned a revolver that didn't like my handloads I would find out why and correct it. If the gun chambered factory ammo and not mine, then something is wrong with mine, and I would fix it! My best tool is a micrometer...

Personally I don't care what tools another experienced reloader used, but I do feel it's a disservice to new reloaders to "brag up" a band aid fix for sloppy/poor reloading.
Old January 11, 2019, 12:30 PM   #38
kmw1954

mikld, so I read it that you are saying one of two things, either;
1. because the gun will not chamber these handloads that work in every other gun that I have tried them in them I should send out the gun for repair. Even though it fires every factory load that I've tried in it and if I wasn't a hand loader then no one would ever know there is a problem with this gun including me.
2. you are implying that because they will not reliably feed or cycle in this gun that these rounds are defective or sloppy work and that by using this die it is a "Band-aide" even though as I say these loads function perfectly well in every other pistol they have been tried in.

Either way I would be more than happy to invite you to my bench to use my tools, my supplies and my brass to make loads that will reliably work in this gun while I watch how you magically do it.

Oh and yes I do have a micrometer and I do know how to use it.
Old January 11, 2019, 01:33 PM   #39
mikld

Please read the black letters, and not the white spaces between the lines. What I said;

If there is a fit problem, measure. The rounds your gun does not like are too big, for that gun, somewhere. No need to get snarky, just find out why your handloads won't fit that particular gun and fix it. Logic seems to be lost on some people when it comes to reloading. Nothing magic, just basic metal forming and assembly. But that can be too challenging for some and a band aid fix is easier.

For a peg (cartridge) to enter a hole (chamber) it must be smaller than the hole (chamber). So if a cartridge doesn't fit a chamber, it's too big somewhere and why not find out why? Too logical?
Old January 11, 2019, 02:29 PM   #40
cw308

mikld
Disservice to " brag up " a band aid fix . Who's doing that . What I did was try a new tool to see how it worked . I wasn't having any problems , just passing information on how the tool ( FCD ) worked for me . If used properly as designed it works very well and would have helped in reloading that revolver as long as it was sized and seated correctly . Again , not trying to push the item only giving my opinion , may help someone out there . We all are trying to help and if it works it works .

Chris
Old January 11, 2019, 03:07 PM   #41
kmw1954

Snarky! Sorry but I find your response self centered, small minded, offensive and insulting. You also completely deflected away from my two points. Now I'll concede that you know best and put me in my place,.
Old January 11, 2019, 03:20 PM   #42
Metal god

cw308 , these are the really thick cases that are now dropping into the case gage but weren't before correct ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 11, 2019, 03:30 PM   #43
cw308

Metal
They all chambered fine , checked in Lyman case gage , MAXXTECH cases are the thickest I ever came across , most went all the way in the case gage a few stuck out slightly but passed the plunk test . Passed them through the FCD felt a slight resistance when first going into the die and then seated fully in the gage , case thickness is the issue , if I didn't check my reloads they would have fired without a problem but I do , that's just me . I do like the die .

Chris

Last edited by cw308; January 11, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old January 11, 2019, 04:27 PM   #44
TailGator

I regard the FCD as a good taper crimp die with an added feature of double-checking sizing. If you have a big problem with your setup, it might not be a great solution, but for this relatively minor problem of what sounds like a small number of rounds not passing a case gage, you found a reasonable fix. FWIW, I have in at least one instance found a case gage to be tighter than any of my chambers in the corresponding caliber. I'm like you - I like using the gage to be sure it will chamber in any gun, but they can be snug.
Old January 11, 2019, 04:58 PM   #45
Rifletom

Well, this is all very interesting. Some here, me included, do, in fact, use a seperate crimp die. Others choose not to. So what? Some toss they're unwanted tools in a landfill. Some use whatever makes us "feel" better and see that it has a useful purpose for our needs.
Use or do not use what you like. Geez.
Old January 12, 2019, 08:48 AM   #46
mikejonestkd

I use the Lee FCD for all my pistol cartridges, its a simple way to make sure every round will chamber in just about any firearm. I only use the crimp function for revolver rounds- it puts a nice roll crimp on the finished rounds.

as an aside, my BIL was told that it negatively affects accuracy, so he stubbornly refuses to use it. He loads thousands of rounds a month on his dillion 650, and then individually plunk tests each and every round in three different pistols, just to make sure he won't have a jam during a match...….which IMO is a huge waste of time and energy.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; January 12, 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:39 AM   #47
cw308

Most of the time if it doesn't fit in the case gage it's from not seating the bullet straight and a uneven bulge forms more on one side of the case or the flare wasn't completely removed , a bulge at the base is not a good thing , more of a chamber/barrel problem to look into . In my case I'm sure I could have a custom sizer or expander made. My sizing die brings the sized case OD to .468 when seating a .451 FMJ bullet there is no way you wouldn't see a bulge but it has to be even all the way around. My both setupsdid a good job no shortcuts , I found using the FCD you can run the case to perfectly remove the flare and enables you to add alittle more taper at the bullet/ case mouth if wanted .
Old January 12, 2019, 11:41 AM   #48
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
Snarky! Sorry but I find your response self centered, small minded, offensive and insulting. You also completely deflected away from my two points. Now I'll concede that you know best and put me in my place,.
Woohoo! Thank you, sir!