The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 6, 2021, 02:19 PM   #26
MarkCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21, 1998
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I have yet to see ANY inertia actioned shotgun used by a serious or even semi serious clays shooter.
So what is your point?

Was not suggesting either of these for the clay sports. Inertia guns DOMINATE 3Gun, which is where I use my Benelli the most. The Weatherby is to be used for mostly Dove and upland birds. I use a Browning mostly for the Clay Sports. Only shoot a pump with a fixed choke at Trap when I have a kid whining that he won't ever get past 20 without a $3K shotgun.

That said, my two boys have made All-State every year and the oldest not only Won a State Title, but was offered a College Scholarship...using an inertia gun. If you can shoot, you can shoot.
__________________
Good Shooting, MarkCO
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 06:33 AM   #27
Maxwell Haus
Member
 
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I have yet to see ANY inertia actioned shotgun used by a serious or even semi serious clays shooter.
You must mean on TV , you surely would not say that if you went to the range . Plenty of Very Serious clays shooters using them with great success , like Mark said...if you can shot, you can shoot . There will a new one on the line tuesday night ,a new Retay . They claim no Binelli bump .
Maxwell Haus is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 09:58 AM   #28
Virginian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 11, 2012
Location: Williamsburg, Va.
Posts: 1,483
I lived literally across the street from Cajun Elite Sporting range and the inertia gun shooters were invariably casual shooters at most, and many were wearing their camo because they were just out there warming up for hunting.
I do not like inertia guns, or synthetic or two piece stocks to deal with the vicious recoil. If you do, have at it. Please do not tell me they don't recoil, because they have to recoil for the action to work.
__________________
What could have happened... did.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Virginian is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 11:17 AM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2017
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I lived literally across the street from Cajun Elite Sporting range and the inertia gun shooters were invariably casual shooters at most, and many were wearing their camo because they were just out there warming up for hunting.
I do not like inertia guns, or synthetic or two piece stocks to deal with the vicious recoil. If you do, have at it. Please do not tell me they don't recoil, because they have to recoil for the action to work.
Lol, those bums! I bet they even drink beer. And come into a fine Elite establishment with camo, is just too much too bear. Hopefully the Club Bouncer Kicked them out on their Redneck Butts.
Carl the Floor Walker is online now  
Old March 8, 2021, 12:20 PM   #30
FITASC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2014
Posts: 5,801
Very rare to see inertia guns on a sporting course during serious competition mostly because they are typically lighter than a gas or O/U and they do not like to function with low recoil ammo(factory or handloads). It isn't that they can't be used; and if that is what you have, then go ahead and use it. That said, if I am shooting a semi, it will be my Beretta smurf gun with a little added weight
__________________
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
FITASC is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 01:05 PM   #31
Carl the Floor Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2017
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Very rare to see inertia guns on a sporting course during serious competition mostly because they are typically lighter than a gas or O/U and they do not like to function with low recoil ammo(factory or handloads). It isn't that they can't be used; and if that is what you have, then go ahead and use it. That said, if I am shooting a semi, it will be my Beretta smurf gun with a little added weight
I agree with you. Not able to perform with Very light loads and weight seem to be the reason so many other guns get bashed on gun forums. In real life, at least where I live, you have a lot of shot gunners. But the vast majority are Hunters and not elite trap shooters. At my local club we have a trap and skeet range. It very seldom even gets used. I have been a member for many years and know and have many friends with the club, but really do not know any of the Clay shooters. They have their own thing seem to live in a different world and mostly do not use the range except during competition. I guess they may shoot other places, but not sure.(maybe our range is not good enough for them?) I personally wish we have used the space and equipment of the Skeet range for more space for other firearms. Most of the shot gunners are at the regular Rifle ranges to pattern with Buckshot, Turkey loads and Slugs.
And yes, we see guns that on gun forums, that maybe you might not want to mention , like a like Mossberg 88's to Single Shot shotguns.
However we do not see many guns in the $$$$$ range. (I am sure there are many on competition days) Personally they do not interest me, any more than a $ shotgun interest them. Each to his own

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 8, 2021 at 01:17 PM.
Carl the Floor Walker is online now  
Old March 8, 2021, 04:08 PM   #32
MarkCO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21, 1998
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 3,066
The 6 pound Weatherby (Inertia Gun) was a little low for me out of the box. Shot a 17, 19, 21 during trap yesterday. Slowly elevating the aimpoint to figure it out. Will change out the shims based on what I saw and get it on the pattern board next week. Overswung a few on the first round due to the 6 pounds. I average 23.5 with my Browning, but I don't shoot more than about 500 rounds a year on the Trap field.

Had three of the kids from the HS team with me. One shooting an expensive O/U (4 rounds 68 birds) one shooting his Grandpa's Browning Pump (4 rounds, 94 birds including his first 25) and one shooting a Stoeger M3000 (Inertia, 4 rounds 93 birds).
__________________
Good Shooting, MarkCO
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 05:20 PM   #33
Maxwell Haus
Member
 
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I lived literally across the street from Cajun Elite Sporting range and the inertia gun shooters were invariably casual shooters at most, and many were wearing their camo because they were just out there warming up for hunting.
I do not like inertia guns, or synthetic or two piece stocks to deal with the vicious recoil. If you do, have at it. Please do not tell me they don't recoil, because they have to recoil for the action to work.
Who said they don't recoil ? They are surely not for soft people . Camo, better than knickers I guess .
Maxwell Haus is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 08:08 PM   #34
FITASC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2014
Posts: 5,801
Knickers? Try Breeks, much more practical.
__________________
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
FITASC is offline  
Old March 8, 2021, 10:28 PM   #35
Nanuk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2005
Location: Where the deer and the antelope roam.
Posts: 3,055
You looking for a quality American made shotgun? Have you seen the Wilkinson tactical?

http://www.wilkinsontactical.com/home.html
__________________
Retired Law Enforcement
U. S. Army Veteran
Armorer
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Nanuk is offline  
Old March 9, 2021, 01:57 AM   #36
Scorch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Location: Washington state
Posts: 14,564
Quote:
Seriously? Stoegers are Brazilian crap, the worst of the worst. You'd be better off with a Huglu from Turkey.
Stoeger's inertia operation shotguns are made in Turkey in the same plant that makes Benellis. Same plant, same equipment. The management of the Turkish plant approached Stoeger and offered a modified inertia operration shotgun to Stoeger (the recoil spring system is in the forearm rather than in the butt stock like a Benelli). Quite famously, Benelli/Beretta sued Stoeger for patent infringement for selling the Stoeger 2000 and 3000 shotguns and now Benelli/Beretta owns Stoeger.
Quote:
I have yet to see ANY inertia actioned shotgun used by a serious or even semi serious clays shooter.
Because the inertia system is a recoil-operated system, and recoil-operated guns kick harder than gas-operated guns. Pretty simple.
__________________
Never try to educate someone who resists knowledge at all costs.
But what do I know?
Summit Arms Services
Scorch is offline  
Old March 9, 2021, 01:57 PM   #37
wild cat mccane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 2,214
*Benellis are made in Italy. At least the M2 which is the M3000 inertia type comparison here.
__________________
My wife is a pulmonologist (respiratory Dr) and epidemiologist. If you have any questions on COVID, please reach out to me in PM.
wild cat mccane is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.06683 seconds with 9 queries