The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Prof Young

Keystone Youth 410

So grandson has done well with the Cricket single shot 22, and also scored well on our bb gun hunting trips in terms of safe gun handling. So it's time to actually squirrel hunt. Anyway, I'm thinking he'll do better with a 410 than with a 22. Did some on line searching and discovered that Keystone now makes a 410 very much like the Cricket.

Anyone have a report on these.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 15, 2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Pahoo

An option

Quote:
Anyone have a report on these.
I usually do not appreciate any reply that does not stay, on point. In this case, excuse me for doing so. If you want to hunt squirrels with a shotgun, may I suggest a 20Ga, that he will never outgrow, I use to hunt some timber and the owner did not allow a rifle. So, in this case, I used my Savage-24, 22LR over a 20ga. I use, the 20, always did better than the .410. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 15, 2021, 12:00 PM   #3
Grant 14

A Cricket was the first gun I bought for my son. The next was a Mossberg youth size 410 pump. It has a recoil pad and the overall stock length is shorter. It worked out well. I later picked up a 20 gauge, top break, single shot, with an exposed hammer. A fellow had shortened the stock, added a recoil pad and put a couple of pounds of lead in the butt stock to absorb recoil. I think it is a NEW ENGLAND FIREARMS brand. It is easy for a youth to shoot. I think New England Arms also makes single shot 410s. This was all 25+years ago, so I know nothing of the Keystone, but will have to take a look online.
I also bought a hand, clay pigeon thrower and we had great fun with that, but it wore out my shoulder.
Have fun, they grow up fast. Grant.
Old January 15, 2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Grant 14

Correction, due to fading memory. My sons first gun was a Chipmunk 22, not a Cricket.
I just looked at the Keystone and it looks good but I might suggest that an exposed hammer might be just a little safer for a youth. Just a thought. Grant.
Old January 16, 2021, 08:33 AM   #5
ligonierbill

I don't have experience with this model, but I did have at one time a Rossi version of a youth size single shot break action .410. It was, as is the Keystone, modified choke. For squirrels, you would need to be close, as the pattern got thin pretty quick. By contrast, I bought a Mossberg 500 .410 in full choke with squirrels in mind. At 30 yards it will pretty much shred a beer can. If you're shooting a modified choke, I agree a 20 would be superior and more versatile. Get some target loads for lower recoil.
Old January 16, 2021, 09:30 AM   #6
Schlitz 45

I’ve been looking around for a 410 as the Mrs has expressed interest in trying her hand with a shotgun & she needs a youth size- found a few possible guns but ammo is a different story right now.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; January 16, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old January 16, 2021, 10:25 AM   #7
stuckinthe60s

if he deserves a marlin 410 or a win 410 lever, do it. he'll remember you long after youre buried, and the gun will still be working.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 16, 2021, 03:38 PM   #8
Prof Young

Thanks for the info, thoughts and . . .

Thanks for responding.

For those who suggested a 20 ga, I've got a Mossberg youth gun 20 ga but it is still a bit much for him. He just turned 8, and while big for his age one shot of the 20 and he thought he'd wait on that one a bit.

I've got a savage 42 with a 410 under barrel, but it's too long for him.

I think if I can find the Keystone single shot 410 that will be about right. LGS has back ordered one for me so it's probably going to be a while.

In terms of ammo I'm stocked up on 410 and can even reload my own if needs be.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 17, 2021, 02:43 AM   #9
Blindstitch

Well I was going to be an additional person to comment on getting a 20 gauge. I bought my wife who is petite a Rossi 22lr/ 410 combo and she shot the 410 barrel a handful of times and said never again. I shot it a few times and just didn't like it knowing 410 shells were double or triple over 20 gauge.

A compromise happened when I ran into a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam in 20 gauge. She shoots it quite often with no complaints. But if I was looking to take up space in the safe I'd look at a Mossberg 500 in 410.

I was out today and saw this budget friendly Rock Island Armory 410 with spacers that looked like it would hold its value. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/roc...76|10277|10281

Looks very similar to the cricket.