The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2020, 09:57 PM   #1
Pbaker29

Breech face impact marks

I recently noticed impact marks on the breech face, and it appears to be from the bolt. I had a stoppage during my last shooting session. The round failed to fire, and failed to eject. I cycled the bcg several times in an attempt to eject the round. I'm honestly not sure what the issue was with the round, but I did eventually get it out. I fired roughly 20-25 rounds afterwards with no issue.

After getting home and cleaning the rifle, I noticed impact marks from the bolt on the breech face, and what appears to be some scratches on the chamfer area around the chamber (I assume it is damage from the stuck round). What I'm not sure about is how the bolt marks got on the breech face. Is this cause for concern? It seems to cycle and function. I would venture to say it functions flawlessly if it weren't for the stuck case. It has never malfunctioned before thru almost 1,000 rounds (knock on wood).

Also, bolt looks to be just fine.

Anyhow, any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0325202007_HDR.jpg (202.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 0325202004.jpg (111.6 KB, 97 views)
Old March 26, 2020, 07:24 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

It would help a lot if I/we knew what firearm you are talking about and the ammo you are useing .
Old March 26, 2020, 08:17 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
(I assume it is damage from the stuck round).
WHy???

What did the stuck round DO while it was stuck in the gun??? It didn't fire, you said, so there was NO force from the round against the bolt. Could not be. A single stuck round could not cause the marks.
Old March 27, 2020, 12:36 AM   #4
Scorch

So the gun fired fine and you're concerned abuot scratches on the breech face? Did you take before and after pictures? Do you know if the scratches were there before you fired it?

If the gun fires as it's supposed to, assume everything is OK and keep firing it. Make sure it's lubed and cleaend properly after each range session.