The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Prince55

.22 Hornet Bullet Design---

What is the most accurate bullet weight & design for the .22 Hornet ?

Thanks
Old January 28, 2010, 08:48 AM   #2
dahermit

"Best", "Most", are subjective. You would likely get different results in different guns. In my .22 Hornet Browning Low Wall, I have found that a Calhoon 46gr. DBL HP over Lil'Gun powder gives excellent results.
(www.jamescalhoon.com)

I did not get good results accuracy wise, from the powders traditionally used for the .22 Hornet such as, 2400, 296. Poor accuracy and loose primer pockets.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I don't own a Hornet, but I've followed some threads on the Shooter's Forum that had input from a number of folks who have fairly extensive experience with it, and a recurring theme is that the round is touchy about primers. Primer pressure can apparently unseat the bullets before the powder really gets burning. That results in erratic velocities, regardless of the bullet used. It is generally blamed on the thin 0.010" neck walls, but the small case volume is obviously a necessary contributor. The bottom line is you want to use the mildest primer you can get your hands on. The Remington 6 1/2 is made for these lower pressure rounds. RWS primers are often reported to be mild. The last primer test on the larger .223 that I saw showed Federal 205's to be the mildest in the test group, but the 6 1/2 can't be used safely at .223 pressures, so that comparison was not made. I saw KVB (Wolf in this country) large rifle primers rated as mild, but don't know about their small rifle primers? In your shoes, those are the primers I would try.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 28, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
jdscholer

I don't know how we got on primers when the OP was concerning bullets.

Anyway, I've heard that some hornets shoot best with .223 instead of .224 so ya might want to check that out. Beyond that, the original Hornet bullets had a shorter stubbier design, and were more fragile to allow expansion at lower velocities. These days many bullets have these characteristics (although without the stubby shape), so you get to try out a lot of different bullets to find one that is "perfect".

I shoot a 218 Bee which is very similar to the Hornet, and the latest and best bullet that I have found for my rifle (Winchester 43), is the .224 Hornady V-Max. I tried the 36 gr Varmint Grenades with poor results - like six inch groups.

I've been loving the V-Max's especially since they've been great in my .222 also. Prices on them have been pretty good also.

By the way, if ya haven't tried it, IMR or H- 4227 may be the only powder ya need for this little cartridge. jd
Old January 28, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5
hoekster

Try this link to an article on the CZ-527 in .22 Hornet. I found that it had a lot of good general information on loads, as well. It sure helped me turn my 527 into a tack-driver.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/article...gory8/156.html

Last edited by hoekster; January 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: forgot to add link .. and misspelling
Old January 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Sam06

hoekster, That is a good article. I wish i had read it 5 years ago because I came to the same conclusions. It took me a bunch of time but that info is right on for the CZ 527. I have a Winchester 43 and a T/C 10" in 22 hornet also. They all like Lil gun and 35 gr vmax's.

I do a lot of reloading/shooting with the Hornet. It is one of my favorite guns for stalking ground hogs and shooting crows. There is another guy here who loads a lot of 22 Hornet: magnum wheelman, the OP might want to PM him he has a lot of experience with the hornet in lots of different platforms.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Scorch

22 Hornets typically have a 1:14" twist rate nowadays, but the low velocity really limits the shooter to using spitzer bullets of 45 gr or less. Sierra makes a semi-pointed 45 gr Hornet bullet that I have heard works well, and I always had good luck with Hornady 45 gr Hornet or 45 gr HP Bee bullets.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Crankylove

In my Ruger 77/22 Hornet, I find the 40-45 grain spitzer to function best. Many of the .22 caliber bullets I have tried, and that shoot well, are just a little to long for me to comforatably load in my gun. To get longer bullets (Varmit Grenades, Ballistic Tips, etc.) to seat, and function thru my magazine, I would be forced to seat past the ogive, and often compress the powder as well. After messing with my loads for a couple years, I now stick with 40 grains Speer Soft Points, and Win 296 powder. Works well for me, but each gun is different.