The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 29, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
HisStigness

Minnesota permit to purchase

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me with my situation. I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem:

I was a Minnesota resident and I have a Minnesota driver's license and Minnesota plates on my car, etc. I got my permit to purchase last year while I was in high school and it is now time to renew it. The problem is that I go to school and live in the dorms at NDSU in North Dakota. So the question is what do I list as my place of residence? I don't want to get in trouble with falsifying information, but if I list my residence as North Dakota will they deny me for my permit to purchase? The paperwork for the permit has a section where you list "present residence address" and a section to list previous residence (past 5 years). I attached a link to the paperwork I am going to be filling out. Any help is appreciated.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...FirearmApp.pdf
Old November 29, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Louca

Your place of residence is where you permanently live. I would think you would be a MN resident since your driver's license lists MN as your current residence. If you are a student, I would think you could claim you are there temporarily. If you have established residency in ND, then MN is just a memory and you have to apply in ND.

Tags
handgun , minnesota , permit , permit to purchase