The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2007, 11:35 PM   #1
KDM

375 H&H reloaders out there?

Hey, all...new to the reloading game. I've read through my Barnes reloading and Speer #13 books, plus the reloading thread here at TFL, and boy, lots of info to absorb. The rifle that I'll be feeding is a CZ 550.

I'm at the point now where I'm gonna start "stuffin' brass". Will start out with the Barnes 300 grainers. Got a couple quick questions: 1- would casting the chamber provide any benefit, relative to chamber dimensions I have to work with; 2- what about crimping...will it be necessary, or only required with cannelured bullets; 3- and probably most important, is this...a little knowledge is dangerous, and now I've got it, I'm thinking all I need to do is measure accurately, use recommended components, and keep the COL at the limit. Doubt it's as simple as that, is it??? Someone enlighten the young grasshopper!
Old March 16, 2007, 01:13 AM   #2
Scorch

That's about all there is to it. Trim the cases the first time you reload them. On my 375, I used to crimp the bullets due to recoil. Try it and see if you feel you need to crimp or not. No need to cast the chamber, the brass will tell you what you have, and since you already know what caliber the rifle is, I see very little value in doing so.