The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2002, 10:56 PM   #1
speed

#1 Cowboy Gun

I've been reading a little about this Cowboy action shooting stuff and it looks like alot of fun.

Let's say I wanted to get into it ,what would you say is the most popular revolver and most popular rifle used in these competitions.

Is their one?or is it something based soley on individual taste and budget?I would assume the later,I guess what I am asking is where is a good place to start as far as makes and model's go
Old April 19, 2002, 07:59 AM   #2
Nodakmarine

Well, Marlin rifles are pretty well thought of though there are also a large number of people that like the Uberti made 1866 and 1873 rifles as well. I don't think you see as many Henery rifles mainly due to the lack of a wood forend on them can get hot. You also see a few Winchester rifles but there has been some question of their functioning propperly with the shorter pistol length cartriges rather than the longer .30-30 cartriges that they were originally designed for. If you are looking for a budget entry rifle though, EMF has Winchester 1892 rifles going for I think $267 dealer price.
As far as handguns go, the Italian SAA clones are prettty popular. The Remington 1875 revolvers are also well liked by those that have them too. It's something a little different than the run-of-the-mill Single Action Army revolver. In black powder revolvers, the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army and 1858 Remington clones are pretty much the big ones there. The Ruger Vaquero is another very common gun due mainly to it's strength and cheap cost. But they are a bit more bulky and heavy than the original Colt single actions though. Personally, I won't buy Ruger products because of Bill Ruger's support of gun control :barf: but there are a lot of people that look past his sell-out and buy them anyways because they are cheap guns.
Old April 21, 2002, 12:50 AM   #3
El Loco Lobo

The most common combinations I've seen here in Montana is a Marlin rifle, a pair of Ruger Vaqueros and a Winchester '97.
Personally I've used 2 Winchester '92's one ine .32-20(really nice and pleasent to shoot not fun to reload) the other is a rebuild made into a .38 special(after alot of work its fiannaly gone through a full match) Both of these are excellent rifles, but spendy.
Two Marlins one .357 and a .45LC. I prefer the .45 because of the 24 inch oct barrel just balances really well!
Pistols include 2nd gen Colt .45, 3rd in .357, a Remington copy in .45, and Ruger Vaquero in .45. over all for extended shooting I'd take the Vaquero. Good price and sturdy with lots of after market goodies.
I use my '97 for everything, CAS, hunting, home defence. The Norinco copies are iffy I've seen two one was ok the other was junk.