The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Howzitbra

Hornady 165gr SST.......no exit wound.

Hope this is the right sub-forum to post this on but anyway here goes......

Shot a small doe last night. Good hit, behind and a couple inches low of the shoulder. She was about 85 yds out.

I was shooting the above mentioned shell and I can't believe I didn't get an exit wound. Not really complaining, she dropped like rock, just can't believe that she'll would expand like that.

Is this normal for that she'll or not? You guys know more than me about this sorta thing so I'm curious and thought I would ask. I was using my Browning 30.06 btw. Thanks
Old November 12, 2012, 08:18 PM   #2
10-96

Yeah, I believe that. I was searching for 165gr pills for my M1 and M1A, thinking of sticking to lower velocities. Anyway, I did a lot of digging on the innerwebs and that's the general consensus of folks who use them. The idea I formed was that they would be a great varmint round... if the nation was to get itself all plagued with 120lb+ varmints.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
taylorce1

Yeah, I think that is typical for that bullet. From what I've read the SST isn't known for staying in one piece. If they do create an exit it is rather large usually. If you want a bullet that is going to exit stick to 180 grain bullets or a premium like the Partition or TSX.

When you dressed the doe out did you find any part of the bullet?
Old November 13, 2012, 02:11 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If you want a bullet that is going to exit stick to 180 grain bullets or a premium like the Partition or TSX.
Weight doesn't matter anywhere near as much as construction.
Even a 150 gr Partition is likely to exit, when the SST did not.
And, a 180 gr SST is just as likely to grenade and not exit, as the 165 gr version.

SSTs are designed to expand rapidly and quickly dump a lot of energy into the animal's tissue/organs, with no real intent to exit. Regardless of weight, the design is the same.

"Controlled expansion" bullets like the Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, etc. are designed to open slowly and penetrate as far as possible. Regardless of weight, the design is the same.

Construction, not weight.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Construction, not weight."

Yup. Although, in general, a thirty-caliber 180 is of heavier construction than a 150. That showed in the crater depth on steel at my 500 yard range.

An example from my own experience: The Sierra 150-grain SPBT will blow up if the impact velocity is at or above 3,000 ft/sec. The flat-base will not; it's of slightly heavier construction.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Doyle

That's the reason I absolutely refuse to use any SST bullet for hunting. I want the bullet to stay together and exit plus I don't want all the meat damage that an SST typically ruins.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
KenL

Years ago I tried several brands of bullets looking for the "perfect" recipe for my 308. 150 grain bullets shot best, so I went hunting. It took me several years, several different brands of bullets and several deer to find a bullet that left an exit hole. I ended up with the tried and true Nosler Partition. When I started elk hunting and was working up a load for a new rifle in 300 WSM, I went straight for the Partitions, this time in 180 grain.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Howzitbra

Thanks a lot guys for the replies.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
Weight doesn't matter anywhere near as much as construction.
Even a 150 gr Partition is likely to exit, when the SST did not.
And, a 180 gr SST is just as likely to grenade and not exit, as the 165 gr version.
Weight does matter maybe not so much with the SST because of its construction, but I wasn't really talking about them when I referenced 180 grains. A hunter doesn't need a premium bullet to kill deer, never has. However, a hunter does need an understanding of the effects that velocity has on a bullet. Then that hunter needs to pick an appropriate bullet to work well in at the ranges and expected impact velocities that they'll be hunting. Most people get hung up on how to get there efficiently and often overlook the terminal end.

Most cup and core bullets work well with an impact velocity of 2800 fps down to 1800 fps or less. You can expect adequate penetration and damage in that window, but not always an exit. When comparing 150-180 .308 caliber bullets you'll have a higher percentage chance of more retained weight and pass through with the heavier bullet. Simply because it impacts with less velocity, even a thin jacketed bullet like the SST has a better chance of leaving an exit wound. At 85 yards a 165 grain bullet is still close to the upper limits of impact velocity for a cup and core bullet.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Howzitbra

Taylorco1...... Didn't find the bullet but didn't really look either. I don't gut deer, I just hang em up, skin em, debone all the meat and drag the carcass and guts off.

As far as the SST ruining meat, I had a entrance wound in the ribs and that was it. I usually don't mess with the rib meat anyway. So no meat ruined. FWIW.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:11 PM   #11
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howzitbra

I don't gut deer, I just hang em up, skin em, debone all the meat and drag the carcass and guts off.
Then, how do you get to what's argueably the best part of any deer, the tenderloins, which are on the inside of the body cavity, on each side of the spine ?

Old November 14, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Howzitbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetahW View Post
Then, how do you get to what's argueably the best part of any deer, the tenderloins, which are on the inside of the body cavity, on each side of the spine ?

Easy, just make a small incision under the short ribs, stick your hand in and grab em, with the other hand make a few cuts to get em loose and they pull right out.

Make sure the first incision is not to deep or you will cut into the gut.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:26 PM   #13
jmr40

I quit gutting deer long ago. I'm often far from the road and it is a lot easier to just get the edible parts, put them in a pack and carry it out on your back. You will easily leave 1/2 the animals weight behind unless you are carrying the head and cape for a mount. It may take 2 trips if hunting solo, but it is much easier than gutting and dragging a carcass for miles in the mountains. Getting the tenderloins is easy and the 1st part taken.

Sounds like you used an a bullet designed for the game hunting and it worked as designed. Their are several difffeent bullet designs that react differently. Some kill by rapidly expanding, others expand less and penetrate more. All work if used on game they were designed for and applied correctly.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Mobuck

I've experienced some bullet failures with both SST and Ballistic Tips. Most work as advertised albeit a little violent in certain presentations, but occasionally, there's the unexplainable blowup.
The specific bullets I'm using are Nosler 165 BT in 30/06 and Hornady 154 SST in hot loaded 7x57. Both have killed quite a few deer but maybe 1/5 shows some pretty violent expansion.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:53 AM   #15
bamaranger

SST's and BT's

I have never shot SST's, but the thin skinned, boat-tailed, polymer pointed SST seems in appearance anyhow, to be Hornady's version of the Nosler Balistic Tip (BT).

The BT was all the rage here for a while. From a 7mm Mag, the 140 BT was a virtual hand grenade. I do not get that kind of results from my 130/.270's, but I cannot drive them in excess of 3000 fips from my 22" ADL.

Our deer average maybe 150 live for mature buck. Anything over 175 is a giant, and 200+ is all but unheard of. The slick, qick opening BT/SST clan do very well on our cretters.

At least one name writer has declared the BT the ideal whitetail round. I'd think the SST is similar.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:33 AM   #16
old roper

Hornady write upon the SST bullet they mention that it expands more quickly than their standard hunting bullet which it sound like it did.

If your getting bullet to expand like that may not get exit wound so can't say the SST didn't do what it was suppose to do.

Sure be interesting if bullet was found and how much it weighted.
NRA Life Member
Old November 15, 2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Howzitbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I quit gutting deer long ago. I'm often far from the road and it is a lot easier to just get the edible parts, put them in a pack and carry it out on your back. You will easily leave 1/2 the animals weight behind unless you are carrying the head and cape for a mount. It may take 2 trips if hunting solo, but it is much easier than gutting and dragging a carcass for miles in the mountains. Getting the tenderloins is easy and the 1st part taken.

Sounds like you used an a bullet designed for the game hunting and it worked as designed. Their are several difffeent bullet designs that react differently. Some kill by rapidly expanding, others expand less and penetrate more. All work if used on game they were designed for and applied correctly.
I agree with both. Thanks for the reply buddy. Appreciate it.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Howzitbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I have never shot SST's, but the thin skinned, boat-tailed, polymer pointed SST seems in appearance anyhow, to be Hornady's version of the Nosler Balistic Tip (BT).

The BT was all the rage here for a while. From a 7mm Mag, the 140 BT was a virtual hand grenade. I do not get that kind of results from my 130/.270's, but I cannot drive them in excess of 3000 fips from my 22" ADL.

Our deer average maybe 150 live for mature buck. Anything over 175 is a giant, and 200+ is all but unheard of. The slick, qick opening BT/SST clan do very well on our cretters.

At least one name writer has declared the BT the ideal whitetail round. I'd think the SST is similar.
Well I cant complain on the bullet performance. Did its job and no waisted meat on the exit side.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:25 PM   #19
Howzitbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
Hornady write upon the SST bullet they mention that it expands more quickly than their standard hunting bullet which it sound like it did.

If your getting bullet to expand like that may not get exit wound so can't say the SST didn't do what it was suppose to do.

Sure be interesting if bullet was found and how much it weighted.
Maybe on the next one I will gut it just to find the bullet. I would be interested on the weight also. Thanks for the reply!!!
Old November 16, 2012, 12:42 AM   #20
BIG P

I use the SST's alot in 270 Win 130gr. & 25-06 in 117gr. Like you said you get alot of DRT kills & the range really doesent matter.Ive took them from 30yds. to 400yds pretty much with the same result. I almost never get alot of meat damage,stay off the shoulders they aint that bad.I think the SST's are a great hunting bullet used them for years. good luck this season.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:27 AM   #21
Howzitbra

Thanks Big P and same to you too. I think I'm gonna stay with the SSTs. If they expand that quickly and don't damage the meat on the opposite side then I'm gonna keep using em.