The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Keenan Goss

IMR's Trail Boss for the .30-30

I recently purchased IMR's trail boss powder to load cast bullets for a .30-30. IMR's website list 6.5 grains for a 160 grain cast bullet @ 997 ft/s. When I get to the range, will I be able to shoot targets, say out to 100 yards? 150 yards? With the 2 winchester rifles I use, Im dead on up to 150 yards, but thats with the bullet traveling at 2100 ft/s. What should I expect out of this powder?
Old March 18, 2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Think of it like shooting a pistol load. You will be able to hit things at 100 yards, but you will have a relatively high, arcing trajectory, and will have to adjust the rear sight or your point of aim up to do it. I can hit water jug size things with .45 ACP 1911 at that range, though I would not really call it precision shooting. I have to aim just over a foot high to do it (gun zeroed at 25 yards). 150 yards is a theoretical possibility, but would require aiming about 4 ft high with the .45. Your's won't be quite that far off. It will be a really mild plinking type load.

You will find Trail Boss is extremely clean burning. I used it in some .45 target loads to see what it would do? I was amazed at how clean the new cases came out compared with shooting Bullseye or other older powders.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 19, 2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Dillonhelp

I have had very good success using TrailBoss in 30/30. I have fired it out to 75 yards. My Savage bolt action was already sighted in for 75 yards, and the point of impact was dead on. With open iron sights, I get 5 shot groups of about 1 1/4".