The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
rebs

bullseye powder

I have been using up some old bullseye power from about 25 years ago for my 45 acp. Its almost gone and I bought a new can. Should I use the same load or is there a difference in the powder made back then and what is made now ?
Old May 24, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Slamfire

Someone posted a picture with Bullseye lots that had to go back to the forties, and there was no significant velocity difference between them. There were differences which are attributable to lot to lot differences.

Bullseye is the same stuff now, as it was then. Maximum load recommendations have changed on all powders as the measuring devices have changed.

So unless you are loading max loads, which always require testing with new lots, you should not have any problems.

If you happen to be a Bullseye Competitor and loading minimum loads, you will need to retest to make sure for function.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:22 PM   #3
rebs

I am currently loading 3.7 bullseye with a 200 gr lswc.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:31 PM   #4
dwright1951

A while back (maybe 2 or 3 years) there was talk of the unique formula being changed to make it less "dirty-cleaner burning" I don't know if it changed the recommended loads or not, I haven't tried the new stuff yet still working on a 8lb jug from a few years back.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright1951
A while back (maybe 2 or 3 years) there was talk of the unique formula being changed to make it less "dirty-cleaner burning" I don't know if it changed the recommended loads or not, I haven't tried the new stuff yet still working on a 8lb jug from a few years back.
I ran out of Unique last year and bought a new jug of the new stuff. I can't tell any difference, and if it's cleaner burning, that's another thing I can't tell the difference. It all burns like Unique to me.

I doubt very seriously that they've changed Bullseye enough in the last 40 years to tell any difference at all.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 25, 2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Mike38

This story was told to me by an old guy I used to shoot Wednesday afternoon Bullseye Pistol league with. I have no idea if it’s true, I’m just repeating the story. So the story goes, the company that first brought Bullseye powder onto the market, saved 10 pounds of it and put it in a jar of distilled water. Dumped the powder right into the water. Every couple years or so, they take a small portion of it out, let it dry a few days, load it into a .45acp cartridge and shoot it. To this day, the powder still works.

With that said, any 25 year old Bullseye powder should just be fine, as long as it’s half way dry.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Slamfire

You will find a picture of that jar in this document:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Gen...-Smokeless.pdf

It was not Bullseye, it was a version of Unique.

Needless to say, the ad recommends not storing powder under water.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
tom234

Here's a good link to some old Alliant/Hercules Reloader guides so you can determine for yourself if the load data has changed. Keep in mind the new guides are pretty have slim in lead bullet data. Apparently they are pushing jacketed bullets.
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html