The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1
FrontSight

Glock 20...it shoots better than I do

Just some pics from my trip to the range last week...all are fom 21 feet.

Hornady rounds, factory combat sights, with the butt resting on the bench. Notice how someone next to me was shooting some bird / buckshot loads? Hit my target too

I bet I can bring the grouping down a lot with target sights...

Second pic of the same; look at all those little shot hits on my target, by the way

Same target, with many more rounds shot free-hand. I always tens to shoot low...

Doubletap ammo, with the butt resting on the bench.

Old July 2, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
rigby06

Glocks are known for being combat accurate, with practice you should be able to get that down to a 2" group without much of an issue. My I had my Glock 22 it took a little getting used too, for both a Glock and a .40 cal. At least all of the shots are in the head or throat.
Old July 2, 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Sharpsdressed Man

Once it breaks in, and you improve a little, you'll be able to shoot a 50 cent size goup at 21 feet with no effort at all.
Old July 2, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
C0untZer0

So there are a lot of things that consipre to make it difficult to fire accurately - things that people are generally not aware of until they try to be absolutely still - which is impossible. It's difficult to stand perfectly still, it's difficult to hold your arms out perfectly still...

When someone says the "gun shoots beter than I do" it generally means that the gun itself doesn't introduce any negative factors into the shooting equation that have a greater impact than the studd the shooter has to deal with apart from the gun.

Most guns require some amount of force on the trigger and most guns involve trigger movement, so most guns do introduce factors that have a negative impact on accuracy, but I would say a Glock definately brings factors to the table that negatively impacts accuracy, and first and foremost it's the Glock trigger.

I'm not sure I would say a Glock pistol shoots better than I do since there are at least a dozen pistols I can shoot more accurately than a Glock.

Last edited by C0untZer0; July 2, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old July 2, 2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Chris_B

You know how to get to Carnegie Hall...practice
Old July 2, 2011, 07:32 PM   #6
CLC

What's the story with the shot hits? I was at the range once and a guy shows up starts shooting down range without even putting targets up. Sounds similar
Old July 2, 2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Don Glock

glock's are surprisingly accurate

75 rounds at 15 yards
Old July 2, 2011, 09:05 PM   #8
LinuxMonk

Still working with my 36...this was from tonight's therapy session. Seven yards, 48 rounds in the 10 area, last 2 rounds were head shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pistol_target_070211.jpeg (17.6 KB, 23 views)
Old July 3, 2011, 04:14 AM   #9
bamaranger

before

Before you tear the stock sights off your G20, shoot it more, and dry fire (safely) even more. Trigger control is imperative in handgun shooting and I have no doubt your Glock can shoot way tighter 7 yd groups than that with standard sights.

Try ball and dummy w/ an auto, .........insert the mag and chamber a round. Then remove the mag and take two trigger pulls on the target. If pull two is anything but rock solid, you are anticipating and that will have a large effect on your group sizes. If you can do it safely, have a partner hand you the pistol, randomly alternating single loaded and unloaded. If your squeeze on an empty/unloaded chamber is anything but solid, same deal.

I like the G20 and need to shoot mine more. Holding a tough, accurate, easy packing auto, w/ 15+1 in the hand of near magnum power is a pistol in a class all its own.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Jim Watson

"The butt on the bench" is not usually the best way to rest a pistol.
You can rest the dustcover on a sandbag and push the front of the trigger guard into it. Or you can rest your arms and hold the gun.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:28 AM   #11
RT

Gen 4 G19 @ 10 yrds-- 15 rounds, standing, unsupported
Old July 4, 2011, 02:59 AM   #12
Eagle0711

Your luck is better than mine.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:19 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
When someone says the "gun shoots beter than I do" it generally means that the gun itself doesn't introduce any negative factors into the shooting equation that have a greater impact than the studd the shooter has to deal with apart from the gun.
I have always taken it to mean that the gun under discussion is more accurate than the shooter in question is capable of achieving.

In other words, if a shooter is incapable of shooting groups smaller than 5" at a given distance under typical shooting conditions but can show that the gun rested/benched shoots into much smaller groups than 5" at that distance, he would say that the gun shoots better than he does.

It's been my experience that in most shooter/pistol combinations it's the shooter that's introducing most of the error on target. So I'd say that most pistols are more accurate than the shooter. Certainly not all, but probably most.

For what it's worth, in my experience, unmodified Glocks in decent condition, used with decent quality ammo, are capable of shooting 5 shot groups at 25 yards that measure around 2.5" to 3.5".
Old July 4, 2011, 05:29 AM   #14
Jim243

Frontsight

Excelent start with your Glock 20. Based on the shot pattern, I would say the guy next to you was trying out a Taurus Judge with 410 shotgun shells, the patteren is really bad scatter, that is what I would expect from someone shooting 10 foot out targets while your's were at 21 feet. That little hole on the far right of the head is one of their BB's.

Guys while nice pic's of your targets (good shooting), 9mm is not the same as shooting 40 S&W (recoil)

I don't think you need target sights on that 20 just a little more pratice, but target sights wouldn't hirt, a new (lighter) trigger spring might help more.

Good Shooting
Jim