The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1
boostedtt91

Ruger SR22 or MkIII

I am thinking of picking up a .22LR pistol for mostly target shooting, but will probably carry it as a CC as well. I have read alot that the MkIII is a excellent pistol thats very reliable, shoots great and is quite accurate. The only negative thing i have been reading about it is that its a PITA to take apart and to clean. I haven't really heard to much about the SR22, but i like the compact size of it. Can anyone with experience with either of the two give me there thoughts on them and which might be a better all around target/cc pistol
Old March 21, 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
KyJim

The Ruger Mark series of pistols are nice target pistols at an affordable price. I can't believe the SR22 will be nearly as accurate. I don't think of either as a concealed carry gun because of caliber. Between the two, however, the SR22 would be better due to lighter weight (big advantage) and the trigger system.

I have a Mark II and understand the disassembly and reassembly of the pistols are similar, though not exactly the same. You get used to it so I would not let this be the deciding factor. BTW, I don't think hardly anyone completely disassembles a MK II (taking the barrel off).
Old March 21, 2012, 06:02 PM   #3
hellomcfly

The Mark III will probably have a nicer trigger and be more accurate. The Mark III would be horrible for concealed carry imo. It's a target pistol. The SR22 would be perfect size wise for concealed carry however the 22lr is a poor choice for self defense imo.
Old March 21, 2012, 06:18 PM   #4
boostedtt91

i know the .22LR is not a great caliber for self defense, but with 10 shots it will do the job if need be. It will probably be for my mother to carry with her as she isn't a shooter by any means, but has been thinking of having something just in case. I let her shoot my 9mm and it was too much for her and she felt comfortable with a .22 so i figure it would be perfect for her, as i don't want to give her something she doesn't feel comfortable shooting or can't handle.
Old March 21, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
boostedtt91

Is there any specific models of the mk3 that are better than the others? I see that there is like 4-5 different models you can get them in
Old March 21, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
ESI Agent

Have both, went to the range on monday and fired them back to back. Both were 100% in reliability.
Accuracy goes to the 22/45
Price goes to the 22/45
Enjoyed shooting them both and it would be tuff choosing the one I would part with if I had to. Here's my take, having the SR9/40 training with the 22/45 transfers over to them being that the 22/45 have the same grip angle,safety at the same location and both being striker fired. Having the P95 as well as a number of other P series models the SR22 transfers over to them being it is a double action/single action pistol. Hope this helps. I also fired my LC9, it too was 100%.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have read alot that the MkIII is a excellent pistol thats very reliable, shoots great and is quite accurate. The only negative thing i have been reading about it is that its a PITA to take apart and to clean.
Don't believe the myth that the Mk III is difficult to field strip. It's not. Keep the manual handy the first few times, and you'll be fine.
Old March 22, 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
aarondhgraham

Combat style versus target style.

The biggest thing that makes the MK-III unsuitable for CC is,,,
It's a single action (SA) pistol.

You must cock it manually before you can fire the first shot.

It is not like a SA 1911 that you can carry "cocked and locked".

The SR-22 is a DA/SA pistol,,,
You could carry it with chamber loaded,,,
And simply use the safety and the DA trigger for the first shot.

It's a bit bulky for CC though,,,
If she is set on a .22 pistol for a carry weapon,,,
Perhaps you should consider something like the Bersa Thunder 22.

It is a DA/SA .22 semi-auto with a de-cocker,,,
Its capacity is 10+1 and it is is a very reliable shooter.

It's also a slightly smaller pistol than the Ruger and easier to carry,,,
It has virtually the same exact size and shape of a Walther PPK,,,
She can get her Secret Agent thing going with the Bersa.

Just an option for you to consider.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 22, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
boostedtt91

having to cock it to load the first round is not a issue, I personally don't really like carry a gun around with a round in the chamber and neither will she.
Old March 22, 2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Itsjustjoe

My SR22 is plenty accurate and reliable. I would (and did) choose this gun over the mk III. Takedown and cleaning is nice and easy as well. I love the trigger on the SR22; the SA trigger is SOO light and crisp.
Old March 22, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11
boostedtt91

im going to a gun show saturday so ill have to check out both and see how they feel
Old March 22, 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Fargazer

I own both of these firearms:

The two pistols you are choosing between are very different. The Mark III is primarily a target and hunting pistol, while the SR22 is a more of a fun gun. Both are accurate, though the edge goes to the Mark III for its extra weight to help hold it steady. Ease of dis-assembly and maintenance goes to the SR22.

The key phrase in your requirements is "but will probably carry it as a CC as well"; given that statement, the SR22 is what you want. Why?
  • Weight: the SR22 is less than 18 oz, while the Mark III is typically north of 32 oz.
    • Though I will admit, the Mark III would be much more effective than the SR22 as a club once you run out of ammo
  • Size: you can slip the SR22 with a Remora into a pocket easily. No can do on the Mark III.
  • Holster selection: a small "generic" pocket or IWB holster like a Remora can handle the SR22. The Mark III is going to need a larger stronger holster to support the gun, and most holsters made for it are oriented toward either competition or outdoor use, neither of which put a priority on concealment.
  • Accuracy: Though the Mark III is easier to shoot accurately because of the weight, the SR22 is no slouch in that department either - it just shows hand / arm wobble more because of its light weight.

I own and love both guns. For range and target shooting the Mark III is superior - however, as soon as you throw concealed carry into the mix, the SR22 is the best choice.

I understand your mother feels the 9mm is too much, and a .22 is much better than carrying nothing at all. I haven't seen any mention of considering a .380. Some of them have a reputation for being very soft shooters; have you considered that, or are you settled on a .22?
Old March 22, 2012, 04:37 PM   #13
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Don't believe the myth that the Mk III is difficult to field strip. It's not. Keep the manual handy the first few times, and you'll be fine.
True - My new MkIII was about as bad as they get when it was new and unfired - I had to use a mallet to get the bolt-stop pin out AND to get it back in. Same with getting the barrel/receiver on and off the frame - it took a mallet both ways. It was a royal PITA, to say the least.

But after putting about 500 rounds through it the first day, I could do all of it by hand. Now, after 800-1000 rounds, it's getting downright easy - the hardest part is remembering which steps have to be done with the magazine in, and which ones have to be done with the magazine removed.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; March 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old March 22, 2012, 06:18 PM   #14
boostedtt91

yeah im leaning more towards the SR22 due to the smaller size of it and ease of dissassembly. The MK3 would be a great gun for just target shooting only, but i like the many different uses of the SR22. I wish i was able to shoot both of them before i decided but i know that will never happen.

I also was looking at the Sig Sauer 1911 22 as its the same price as the other and would be good practice for me for my SR1911. Anyone know much about these?
Old March 22, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Fargazer

Watch the manufacturer of the .22 caliber 1911 pattern pistols. It may say Colt, Sig, or other on the label, but in some cases it is GSG (Sig) or Umarex (Colt) who really manufactures them.

I'm not saying that's bad or good (I haven't been in the market for a .22 1911, so I haven't done research), but I am saying pay attention to what you buy:
  • You may be able to get the same gun under another label for less money.
  • Some of these pistols use zinc alloy ("pot metal") in their construction. That bothers some, not others.
If I had to put my money down, I'd bet the SR22 pistol is better built than most of the .22 1911s.
Old March 22, 2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I also was looking at the Sig Sauer 1911 22 as its the same price as the other and would be good practice for me for my SR1911. Anyone know much about these?
It is the exact same gun as the GSG 1911, which runs about $50-75 less.
Old March 22, 2012, 10:21 PM   #17
bitttorrrent

Well, I'll have a better response as I will be pickup up my sr22 tomorrow!

I have an MKII also and it is a beautiful gun. Only have a few hundred thru it and it is quite accurate. I am amazed. Wonderful gun.
It is a target gun though. Not really set up for carry or home defense. I had it at home for a few weeks and i could just not feel comforatable with it in that respect.

Even without seeing my new sr22 (ok i held one at Cabelas), I would recommend it cause the MK is not built for carry.

Last edited by bitttorrrent; March 23, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old March 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #18
tom234

You may want to look into the Ruger 22/45 models instead of the MKIII. Same guts as the MKIII but with a 1911 grip angle and much lighter plastic frame. There are a lot of Ruger .22 pistol aftermarket add ons including target triggers and sears that greatly improve and lighten the trigger. I like and recommend the 22/45 replaceable panel [grips] model. You can increase the grip size/width with shims and since it comes with a scope base you can easily add a red dot scope should you desire. Blued models shoot as well as SS but cost is considerably less.
BTW, Ruger lawyered up and all current model have a magazine disconnect in addition to a manual safety. Unless the magazine is locked in place it won't fire even if there is a round in the chamber......
Old March 23, 2012, 06:54 PM   #19
m_liebst

Both serve different functions.

I really doubt that the SR22 shoots anything close to the accuracy level of the MKII or MKIII pistols.

Last edited by m_liebst; March 23, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Coyote_Buster700

Quote:
having to cock it to load the first round is not a issue, I personally don't really like carry a gun around with a round in the chamber and neither will she.
That's ok, I'm sure in the event that you have to use it they'll stop and give you time to get your gun ready.

Quote:
"I don’t do the Weaver Stance because I figure by the time I’ve stanced I’ll done be Weavered." - ClayInTx
Old March 23, 2012, 10:18 PM   #21
checkmyswag

You can get a .32 or .380 that is smaller, heck, even some 9mm's are smaller.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #22
TheRaskalKing

I shot a MK III at my LGS today and wow, what a great gun. Even when shooting rapidly and running 2 to the chest 1 in the head drills, my groups were softball sized at standard pistol range. Even running cheap Winchester high velocity wildcat ammo through it, there were only 2 FTFs and those were probably from me trying to fire the next one as the previous round was ejecting. Personally, I like the 22/45 better than the MKIII because of the 1911 style grip on the 22/45. Though I haven't shot an SR22, as my LGS doesn't have one for rental, I've handled one fairly extensively. It would definitely be easier to CC, but I wouldn't consider doing so just because of the caliber. I also don't like the size of the SR22, even thought I have smallish hands.

It really depends on what your primary purpose for the gun is. Target shooting/training, definitely the MKIII. CC/fun range gun, SR22. Though for CC I would strongly consider a larger caliber.

As for the 1911 chambered in .22, I flirted pretty heavily with a GSG (same gun as the sig) 1911. I was pretty dead set on it... until I shot one. NOT A FAN! I know some guns just don't like certain ammo, and maybe this was just one of those cases, even though I was using higher velocity CCI ammo. Not the cheap stuff. The stupid thing just failed to cycle. I'd chamber a round, fire, another round would feed, but then pull the trigger and nothing would happen. So I'd run tap, rack, bang and it would fire. I had to do this every time. I only shot through about 40 of the 100 rounds I had with me because it was so dang frustrating to run the thing. I tried everything I could think of to get it to cycle properly, even field stripped the pistol and re-assembled. Maybe it was a lemon, maybe it was me, maybe the gun just didn't like the ammo. Whatever it was, it wasn't a fun experience. From what I've read if you're looking at 1911 in .22, conversion kits are the way to go.
Old March 24, 2012, 02:53 PM   #23
boostedtt91

well i pulled the trigger today and bought a SR22 at the gun show for $325. I put alittle over 100 rounds through it so far with no issues. I have to get the sights adjusted as i didnt have a screwdriver with me at the range to adjust it but so far im pretty happy with it. The only thing im not really a fan of is the slop in the magazine release button, you have to push alittle bit harder than most to pop it out as there isnt much travel in it
Old March 24, 2012, 06:53 PM   #24
380acp

If you carry a glock 26/27 type that sr22 is a no brainier just like the 2245 for 1911 owners works great! But is you going to a great pistol in its own right a mark 3 is ss is with a target job is the ticket!