The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

Primer queries...

I just traded a quantity of powder for a boatload of primers. Among them are some Winchester "Large Pistol For Standard Or Magnum Loads." Does that mean that they would only be like for .45 ACP? (That's the only "large pistol" that I load for.)

Also, some of them are CCI "Small Pistol MAGNUM Primers." Would I be able to use these for .38 Special and .357 Magnum? Thanks much!

YBB
Old March 16, 2008, 03:13 PM   #2
rwilson452

The Winchester primers can be used in any pistol that takes a large pistol primer.

The CCI small magnum pistol primers will work in your .357 loads. there are a few listings for use of the magnum primers in .38. you could use them in a regular .38 load but be real careful working up the load as the magnum primer will put you over the pressure limit before you reach max load. I wouldn't do it.

Quote:
Primer queries...
I just traded a quantity of powder for a boatload of primers. Among them are some Winchester "Large Pistol For Standard Or Magnum Loads." Does that mean that they would only be like for .45 ACP? (That's the only "large pistol" that I load for.)

Also, some of them are CCI "Small Pistol MAGNUM Primers." Would I be able to use these for .38 Special and .357 Magnum? Thanks much!
Old March 16, 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Lg. Win Pistol primers

Yoosta B. Blue--I've used the Win Lg. Pistol primers specifically in .45 ACP. The ammo performed just exactly like CCI Lg. Pistol REGULAR primers. No diff. Win wouldn't say that their Lg. Pistol primers work for both regular and magnum applications if that statement hadn't been thoroughly vetted by their legal department.

Now, with Sm. Pistol MAGNUM primers, you must use those only in loads that call for a magnum primer. Follow the recipe in yr loading manual.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 16, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Yoosta B. Blue

Thank you for these good replies, folks. I appreciate the help and I will prime my stuff accordingly...

YBB