The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 6, 1999, 06:53 AM   #1
Harold

Have a colt enhanced 45 ,can I put a top end from a 10 mm delta be used on the 45 frame without changing the ejector?

------------------

Old August 6, 1999, 08:16 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Harold, I've never tried it. Hopefully someone who has will share his/her experiences. George
Old August 6, 1999, 08:14 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Stick the top on, load one round...Report back. Can't hurt anything, and then you'll know--and us, too!

Later, Art
Old August 7, 1999, 02:32 AM   #4
Daniel Watters

The Delta Elite uses the .38 Super/9mm ejector, which is wider and has a slightly different profile than the standard .45 ejector. The ejector cutout in a .45 Government Model slide won't clear the 9mm/.38/10mm ejector, and vice-versa.
Old August 7, 1999, 05:59 AM   #5
Harold

In his book 'the custom govt model pistol' Layne Simpson shows a group of switch top 1911's.His gold cup is set up with 4 other slides and bbls one of which is a 10 mm. The way he writes it up show no mention of changing the ejector .I know the ejectors on the 9mm and 45 are different.How is he doing it?

------------------

Old August 8, 1999, 12:30 AM   #6
Daniel Watters

If Layne isn't swapping ejectors, a gunsmith likely machined the .45 Government Model slides to fit over the 9mm/.38S/10mm ejector.
Old August 8, 1999, 06:40 AM   #7
Harold

Daniel,he 45 slide is not used.The whole top end of the delta is used on the 45 frame.

------------------

Old August 8, 1999, 04:00 PM   #8
Daniel Watters

Quite possibly the reverse was done: machining the Delta Elite slide to fit over the .45 ejector. However, I suspect there might be ejection problems. In either case, only a small thickness of metal would need to be removed from the slides to pass by the mismatched ejector. Perhaps given favorable tolerance stackups, you might even find examples that would slip past each other.

However, I can assure you that in previous attempts, my .45 Government Model slide will not slide past the ejector on my Delta Elite frame, nor will my Delta Elite slide fit past the ejector on my Government Model frame.
Old August 8, 1999, 05:17 PM   #9
Harold

Daniel, if you say you tried it and it does not work I believe it.Its not the first time a big name smith/writer failed to give out the complete scoop.Incidently,have you read his book?If you get the chance look it up, its on page 372 ,you'll see what I mean.

------------------

Old August 8, 1999, 06:30 PM   #10
Daniel Watters

Thank you for your kind words. I've pretty much worn out my copy of the Simpson book. The range of customization displayed inside is grand.

One word of advice, take everything said about pistolsmith Chuck Warner with an extra-large grain of Kosher salt. Simpson's book and magazine articles inadvertantly helped Warner rip-off a lot of shooters locally and beyond. Thankfully, the ATF eventually revoked his FFL.