The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Prof Young

Hanging on to NAA mini . . .

So one of my shooting buddys has an NAA mini revolver in 22LR. I shot the thing today and couldn't hang on to it. It wanted to jump out of my hand with every shot. How does one shoot that thing?

Life is good
Prof Young
Old March 7, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

If you have big hands, you probably need an oversize grip.
I can hold onto one pretty well, but they do recoil upwards.
Old March 7, 2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I have found the best way is to grip the gun between the thumb and forefinger of my right hand while I press the trigger with the forefinger of my left hand.

Bob Wright
Old March 7, 2017, 08:29 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I handled one recently, for the first time in 10-15 years.

...Couldn't figure out how I could possibly hold and fire it with a single hand.
No matter what I did, I had either a really terrible grip on it, or a knuckle jammed hard into the trigger housing, with no way to pull the trigger.

It was quite a disappointment. I have really wanted one.
I swear my paws haven't grown, but I sure couldn't figure out how and why I it felt so different and terrible this time around.
Old March 7, 2017, 09:51 PM   #5
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
I have found the best way is to grip the gun between the thumb and forefinger of my right hand while I press the trigger with the forefinger of my left hand.
That's exactly how I shoot mine. I will add to Bills description, that I cock the hammer with my left thumb. It took me a while to figure that out, but after that, and figuring out the front sight, its actually pretty damn accurate. I have the 1 1/8" Long Rifle Only model.
Old March 7, 2017, 10:22 PM   #6
CDR_Glock

It's a three finger one handed gun. It's hard for anyone with big mitts unless they get the larger grip.

The trigger is pretty rough in texture so 25 rounds starts to weigh on you. I carry it frequently as a backup to a backup. I have a 22 WMR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 8, 2017, 12:29 AM   #7
alaskabushman

My dad carries his .22 LR version as his CCW, he opted to buy the folding grip "holster" for it. It gives it much better shootability and safety while riding in a pocket. Without that it does tend to jump around a bit. I've never had one actually jump out of my hand though, even a magnum model.I shot the "pug" model and it was a bit better with a stickier grip.
Old March 8, 2017, 09:10 AM   #8
NoSecondBest

I have basically the same gun but mine was manufactured by Freedom Arms. I've been carrying it around every day for over thirty years. It shoot far better than you'd ever expect it to. I once shot a woodchuck with it at 35 yards after I ran out of ammo for everything else and was walking back to my truck to get some more. I've shot several possums and racoons with it also. It is a bit tricky to hold on to but with a bit of practice it soon becomes quite manageable. You just need a strong middle finger.
Old March 8, 2017, 03:53 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...If you have big hands..." If you have adult sized hands at all you'll need bigger grips. snicker.
NAA make bigger for 'em that aren't stupid expensive. Used to be that you could get a belt buckle for 'em too. There's a really poorly made, undyed, flap style holster too.
Old March 8, 2017, 06:27 PM   #10
twobit

the folding grip they have for them is larger but because it folds, the gun is still compact in your pocket.
Old March 8, 2017, 09:07 PM   #11
tulsamal

My BUG is a Mini... but it is a Mini Master. Four inch barrel. Twin cylinder, 22 LR/22 WMRF. Bigger grip, adjustable sights with a big orange stripe on the front sight.

It's still very light and quite small. Fits in the inside breast pocket of my 5.11 vest. Had a custom made Kydex holster made for it... fills up the pocket to keep it up straight and not moving around. Quite a nice little BUG with five sure rounds of .22 Mag. You go out in the pasture and shoot a few things with each cylinder... that .22 Mag is a lot more impressive on impact.

Gregg
Old March 10, 2017, 05:55 PM   #12
Obambulate

I could not hold the smaller NAA minis securely enough. I ended up with the Black Widow, which is ironically both the smallest and largest gun I wish to carry.

I have a 7-shot J-frame in .22 mag which only weighs 2-oz more than the Black Widow. I still carry the Black Widow.
Old March 10, 2017, 07:11 PM   #13
Terminatorret

I replaced the wood factory grips (very pretty) on my NAA Mini .22lr with wood boot grips (very pretty). Gives me a 2 finger grip instead of a 1 finger grip.
I like.
Old March 10, 2017, 09:21 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

I have the miniest of Minis. The 22 Short version. I don't even try to hold the front for the grip with my finger. Rather hold it with the back of the grip against the web of my hand, and the frame in front of the trigger resting on my trigger finger. I just hold on with pressure between my trigger finger, and the web of my hand when I pull the trigger.. Never had a problem hanging on. Haven't tried with a Long Rifle, or Magnum model though. Kinda think they will be similar even with more recoil.
I didn't buy a mini Mini to hang big, ugly grips on it in the first place.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 10, 2017, 10:25 PM   #15
damienph

My NAA .22LR rolls back in my hand after every shot. As hard as I try, I don't think that I can ever quite aim it at the same place twice but at the distances that I would need to use it, I can aim it close enough.

It is definitely the easiest revolver to carry that I have ever owned. I keep mine loaded with CCI Stingers.