The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2016, 09:25 AM   #1
superking75

Are kits and used dies a good idea

Is something like the "Lee Challenger Breech lock single stage press anniversary kit" a good buy.
I plan to reload 30-06 in smallish quantities (no more than 50 if that at a time.)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423...nniversary-kit

Secondly is buying a used die set a good idea?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-30-06Fu...0AAOSwvg9XT5n7
Old June 5, 2016, 09:45 AM   #2
g.willikers

Used dies are ok, if you can inspect them for damage.
Probably not a good idea otherwise, especially since they aren't expensive.
Lee brand especially.
Old June 5, 2016, 09:49 AM   #3
308Loader

It's not a bad deal. It comes with most everything you need to get started. I enjoy my lee press.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:36 AM   #4
reddog81

That Lee set looks like a good way to start reloading for cheap. Personally I'd recommend the RCBS rock chucker and buying everything you need piece by piece but that requires more research and the Rock Chucker cost about as much as that whole set.

I've bought plenty of dies off eBay with success. Those ones you linked look like they're in good condition.

Unless you're already familiar with reloading you will need a good manual or 2 to explain the process and to get load data.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:47 AM   #5
brasscollector

Bought some 'used' dies locally for $15 just the other day. Still had the packing grease inside and out, likely never used. Also bought some online where the previous owner had turned down the expander mandrel .002" smaller than the original (desired) measurement. Attempts at seating bullets into those undersized necks resulted in excessive run-out. I would say buyer beware unless you can confirm that the dies are unaltered.
Old June 5, 2016, 12:49 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Kits, yes. Gives you everything you need less dies and shell holder. Don't think you'll come close to beating $130. Buy a Lyman manual too. Lee uses Hodgdon data primarily. They test nothing themselves. S'ok, just isn't as versatile as the Lyman book.
Used RCBS dies yes. RCBS' warrantee covers the kit no matter who bought it new. Most other die makers do not. Although I think, Dillon does too. Dillon stuff is out of my price range, but call 'em and ask.
"...buying everything you need piece by piece..." Is like buying a car one part at a time. Costs more in the long run.
Old June 5, 2016, 01:01 PM   #7
BigJimP

Yes, you'll save money buying a Kit...but I'd look carefully at the RCBS options if you want a single stage.

Used dies...you have to know what you're looking at when you buy them...I see a lot of used dies at the gunshows / probably 80% of them are junk ( rusty, beat up threads, set screws stripped, etc ).
Old June 5, 2016, 01:06 PM   #8
RC20

Don't discount used for the press.

A lot of that equipment just never got used much.

As noted better in person but Gun Broker is a good way to go as there is some accountability, you can rate them as well as protest with GB something not in condition.

One transaction all I had to do was email the guy and got corrected.
Old June 5, 2016, 01:20 PM   #9
pnac

superking, check out this vid for a good (IMO) review of the Lee Challenger kit.
I bought a Challenger press as an extra to have for small jobs and was pleasantly surprised at the quality, wouldn't hesitate to do 30-06 full length resizing at all.

On the Lee case lube, for bottle neck cases put 50 cases or so in a zip lock with a couple of pea size wads of lube and knead it around, paying a little extra attention to the case necks. Dump them out to dry for a few minutes, put them in a loading block and swab the inside of the case necks with a q-tip with a little lube on it (I wet the q-tip with lube every 5 cases). Have had no stuck cases, no dented cases, no squeal, no chatter, wipes off easily with a paper towel or in the tumbler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDL9tUnfVQ
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old June 5, 2016, 11:43 PM   #10
nemesiss45

close to half my dies are used. a deal is a deal, but don't pay too much if you cant inspect them. some people sell dies they get in storage auctions, or from their deceased relatives belongings and don't know what they are looking at, so you may find them with missing stems, plugs, lock rings, etc... just know what you're looking for and buy smart.

I also recommend lee RBG dies. I have a few I got for some less common cartridges I don't reload often. they get the job done and only cost about $15 or so.
Old June 6, 2016, 09:10 AM   #11
CarlL

Used Dies

I'd bet that 90% of my dies are used. I've bought many off of eBay as well. If you look at the pictures of the dies and the seating stem knurling and the lock rings haven't been all jacked up by someone using vise grips or channel locks on them and they aren't rusty, they are probably fine. I figure someone who didn't do that probably didn't chip them or mess them up. And so far, knock on steel or carbide, I've never been burned.
Old June 6, 2016, 09:40 AM   #12
cptjack

i used the challenger press ,ok ,but found play in the ram ,believe the cast iron a better press. up graded to the rock chucker kit with a 75.00 rebate
Old June 6, 2016, 12:31 PM   #13
RC20

One I think is mandatory now is an electronic scale.

While there is a great deal of debate on these, having used both, the electronic is easier and more versatile.

Beam scale ok as a cross check but its not as accurate (normally) takes longer and if you want to confirm that loose bullet is a175 and not 168 its slam dunk easy (about like the Warriors dealing with the Cavs! grin)

I actually have two low cost ones as a check on each other.

If you know anything about calibration though its simple, you weigh the pan, tare it and if the tare goes off with the empty pan you re-zero it (tare) and you are solid. Low cost ones drift but its easy to bring them back in.

Fast and easy and cal weight some with them for cross check.
Old June 6, 2016, 12:41 PM   #14
briandg

I am rarely interested in buying either a used car or gun,won't buy used electronics or jewelry, and buying used dies would worry me.It would be hard to ruin pistol dies, but since rifle shooting is for real accuracy, I'd never buy cheap or used dies.
Old June 15, 2016, 09:01 AM   #15
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
I am rarely interested in buying either a used car or gun,won't buy used electronics or jewelry, and buying used dies would worry me.It would be hard to ruin pistol dies, but since rifle shooting is for real accuracy, I'd never buy cheap or used dies.
You must have had a good career. I am squarely opposite. I'll buy anything used to save $$$$. Never have bought dies used, but I did aquire a used Rock Chucker to get me into reloading.

Cars I especially loathe the thought of buying new. Bought one new car with my ex and I spent 2-weeks playing the dealer to get a good price. Still a rip-off. If I was inclined to buy a Toyota Tacoma that's about the only vehicle I would buy new because they don't lose enough value in the first couple years to make it worth buying used, imo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2016, 09:28 AM   #16
TimSr

Kits are great, especially if you aren't sure what you want or will need.

Lees appear to be less expensive but factor in what their kids do not include.

RCBS kits tend to be more complete, and include a manual.

There are all kinds of fancy gizmos and gauges, and other fancy stuff that you just don't need to get started, and is better to select from AFTER you have a feel for the process.

Since you are doing 30-06 I would stay away from the smaller presses. I started with a Partner Press kit, and while it will certainly do 30-06, it doesn't have the leverage I wanted, especially after breaking the handle on mine. I'm not familiar with the Lee press you're looking at, but the dimensions seem to indicate it's their version of the same thing.
Old June 15, 2016, 09:32 AM   #17
Clark

As I said on page 3 earlier this year... with an update....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565104

I got the RCBS rockchucker reloading kit when I started reloading in 1999.

1) Rockchucker press .. don't use it anymore,
2) "Speer 12" reloading manual... don't use it.
3) Bottle of glycerin for lube... don't use it any more
4) Pad for applying glycerin... don't use it
5) Brush for lubing inside of case neck.. don't use it any more
6) Loading tray made of plastic... don't use it.
7) Wire brush for cleaning primer pockets. Don't use it.
8) Funnel, don't use it
9) case trimmer, don't use it anymore.
10) Inside outside neck chamfer [ Wilson OEM] I don't use it.
----------------------------

11) Uniflow powder measure.... I still use it.
12) 5-0-5 scale [Ohaus OEM]... I still use it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 15, 2016, 10:16 PM   #18
qrz

The fun begins. I'd recommend a few manuals before the equipment. That will help in the decision process as well. Spend time learning about the individual pieces in the kit before you buy. Same for any reloading gear. It's a fun hobby.

Tags
kit , reloading kit , used die set