The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
longspurr

CCW holder VS lawyers

I use the example of hand loaded ammo VS factory ammo. The “wisdom” is to use common factory ammo so it does not become an issue during a lawsuit.

If we have to fire a CCW carried handgun and “do justice to the target” the wisdom I have read is we may not be prosecuted, but may be sued by the bad guys family.

There is much discussion about this and many variables. However something I have not read about is documentation of our shooting ability. Does this come up in court? If either the prosecutor or defense lawyer use our record of being a Competition shooter, will that be likely to help us – or hurt us?

Should we want to have our USPCA, IDPA, NRA classification readily available to “the lawyers”????
Old July 31, 2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

If you are being sued or prosecuted, chances are they are going to know or find out that you are a competition shooter. Your lawyer needs to know everything about you and your situation so that your lawyer can properly defend against any claims made by the opposition about your shooting endeavors and capabilities. It is not a good thing when your lawyer is surprised to learn about facts about you, in court, from the opposition.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:58 AM   #3
g.willikers

This would probably get more response in the Tactical or Legal sections.
Most conversations in this one are about winning matches, rather than real world situations.
Just a thought.
My personal opinion, though, is not to volunteer competition experience unless a knowledgeable lawyer suggests it.
It might cause the other side to consider you a kind of well practiced gunslinger, rather than an ordinary citizen who just happens to carry a gun.
Old July 31, 2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

It is a better question for the legal subforum.

Search on Frank Ettin's posts as he has a list of cases were similar issues have come up.

There have been trials where competition and training have been raised. The Armed Citizen's Defense League also has documentation.

You need to tell your lawyer everything about your background. The DA will know it quickly.

Take a class from a well known person who says always be ready to kill everyone in the room - that has come up.

Here's a URL and search on Frank. Thus, I'll close this as it is legal issue and well documented.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Closed.