The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 21, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Barrel heat deflector

Hey all,

Maybe this is a dumb question, but where do I find a heat deflector for my F-class rifle?

Such as the ones in the picture in the post about half-way down page 1: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2241696

Guys at my club have them attached to their barrels with velcro, which I have, but where to find the deflector piece??

Thanks,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Jim Watson

You mean the one that looks like a piece of venetian blind stuck to the top of the barrel?
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...l-Mirage-Shade

The other approach is a band of elastic stretched between a screw at the muzzle and at the breech.
http://www.champchoice.com/SearchRes...eyWords=mirage
Old August 21, 2012, 11:26 PM   #3
kraigwy

Are you talking about the barrel bands that go the length of the barrel to break up the heat waves on the barrel?

If so you can get them at Creedmor Sports. They do work, I use one on my 1000 yard rifle when using scopes.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 30, 2012, 04:20 AM   #4
bamaranger

stole it

Ahh...Watson stole my thunder. No screws on my barrel though. I had bamawife sew a fold on either end of the elastic and passed a length of paracord through each loop. The rear loop ties around the forward scope ring. The muzzle loop is just big enough to force over the muzzle and secure about an inch back from same. When not in use I detach at the muzzle and wrap it around the scope tube.

A buddy suggested velcro dots along the length of the barrel, and same on the elastic, but I have not been able to make those stick on the barrel.

I figured the length out so that slightly streatched, the strip stays taunt and away from the length of the barrel. On or off doesn't seem to effect accuracy, but again, I am not a shining star in F-T/R.