The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
unclekuster

22 hornet flashole

Been sending 32g Hornady V-max rounds down range to feed the fatbellies. Now it's time to reload, and I got most of my cases sized and trimmed to length, but the flash hole is so small the de-capping pin keeps getting stuck inside the case. The only flash hole uniformer I have been able to find is the Lyman version. Which brings me to my question: Will that make the flash hole too big ? The little drill bit on the end of the uniformer sure seem like its at least twice the size of the original flash hole. Will this damage the Brass ? Should I skip this step ? Am I asking the right questions ?
Old May 12, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
jepp2

I have run into undersize flashholes on some 5.56 military brass. I just used the appropriate number drill bit to enlarge them. For folks really interested in accuracy, they will find the largest flashhole of the lot, and enlarge the others so they are all the same size.

I use the Lyman flash hole uniformer, but I use it to remove the nub on the inside of the web from where the flashhole was punched. No reason why you couldn't drill them out with the Lyman tool. If yours are that small, you might want to chuck up the Lyman tool in a drill. Otherwise it would be a lot of turning.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
ruger357w

I have run in to the same thing with the 22 hornet, but only with Hornady brass. Not really sure why they make them like that. now I mostly run remington brass in my hornet. broke an bent to my deprime pins.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:46 AM   #4
hornetguy

I agree, it must be the brand of brass.
I use Winchester and Remington, and have never seen that issue.

I would think that the die manufacturers would not make their pins too large for SAAMI spec cases, so I'd be looking at getting the flash hole uniforming tool to bring them all up to a consistent size.

It's surprising what a big difference a very small variation will make in those small cases.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:50 PM   #5
unclekuster

Manufacturer

I applied my question to Hornady, but they haven't supplied an answer yet. (If) when I get one I'll let you know.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:47 PM   #6
unclekuster

I was informed by the Tech from Hornady that as long as the flash hole is not opened up so much as to weaken the web of the case, I should be ok.

And to Jepp2, I would also recommend using rubberized gloves, those small cases are very hard to hang onto.

Anyway, I will be looking into a different brand of cases, due to the flash holes NOT being consistently centered in the case. I thank everyone on this site for being here for me !