The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2020, 11:06 AM   #1
kab37

30-06 brass

Is there any value in once used GI 30-06 brass ? I saved mine for years but never did (or will) reload.
Old October 18, 2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Kevin Rohrer

Garand loaders such as myself and hunters who load for it have a need.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old October 18, 2020, 01:09 PM   #3
burrhead

Yes it has value. I have 4K pieces of 30-06 so I haven't looked for any in years but I'd guess it's worth 20-25 cents per. Depends on how much you have and who made it as to whether it's worth your time to deal with selling it. If you have a thousand of LC or a major brand, lets say, that's $200 at least.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 18, 2020, 01:33 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Fired GI .30-06 has been the base for making anything with that head size shorter than the 06 case. I've made 7.7mm Jap and 8mm Mauser from 06 brass, as well as other shorter cases.

it takes some work, and sometimes special dies but it can be done, and when you can't get the proper factory brass, you do what you have to do.

Your 06 brass is worth something to some one. even a few who don't load the 06.
Old October 18, 2020, 04:49 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

brass weight

Recycle pays $1.30/pound if you just wish to get rid of it.

I'm certain there will be members who would make you an offer.
Old October 18, 2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

What's the date on the headstamp? I won't use any '06 brass from the corrosive primer days. I recall hearing stories about the quality of brass being spotty from that era. I don't know if it's true but it's worth looking into.

Tony
Old October 19, 2020, 07:47 AM   #7
kab37

Tony, various dates from FA 17 to Greek Denver42, Lake City various.
Old October 19, 2020, 08:19 AM   #8
Nathan

How much do you have? I think you could make good money selling by headstamp in the for sale section. Don’t forget to ship on the cheap with priority mail flat rate. How many fit in a small box?
Old October 19, 2020, 08:37 AM   #9
USSR

Quote:
What's the date on the headstamp? I won't use any '06 brass from the corrosive primer days. I recall hearing stories about the quality of brass being spotty from that era. I don't know if it's true but it's worth looking into.

Tony
Not true, Tony. The U.S. gov't used corrosive primers up to the Korean War and shortly after, depending upon which ordnance plant made it. The brass is just fine.

Don
Old October 19, 2020, 01:59 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

the "corrosive" part of "corrosive primers" refers to the effect of the salt residue from the priming compound absorbing water from the air and holding it against the STEEL of the barrel thus creating rust and "corroding" the barrel.

Not usually an overnight worry, but i have seen it happen in as little as 2-3 days.

This process does not affect the brass cases, brass doesn't rust.

That being said, the REALLY old primers (century + ) that were made with mercury in them CAN affect brass cases, weakening them.
Old October 19, 2020, 03:01 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Right. A lot of early NON-corrosive primers were mercuric primers. It is mercury that weakens brass by amalgamating rapidly with the zinc in it, leaving the remaining copper very brittle. If corrosive primer residue (in particular, potassium chloride) is left in a case long enough and in enough humidity, it can initiate corrosion, but this is visible as green and white and black oxides on the brass. It can eventually tunnel through a case wall, but it's presence is no secret by then. If you don't see clots of oxide and the brass surface looks smooth, it is likely to be just fine.

This write-up of the history of primers and priming mixtures covers the topic quite well.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 19, 2020, 03:51 PM   #12
Geezerbiker

Interesting, live and learn I suppose. I've always shied away from US military ammo made prior to the mid 1950s.

I've also heard that some WWII vintage ammo was produced with questionable quality brass. Any truth to that rumor?

Tony
Old October 19, 2020, 03:59 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

During the war they had copper shortages, so some cases were made of Muntz metal, which is a form of brass with extra zinc in it. I have no idea how it holds up to reloading. I also have no idea if it was used for .30-06 or not.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 19, 2020, 10:47 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

interesting, never before heard of Munz metal, but have heard of "zinc-steel" (what the precise alloy is, I have no idea) that was used for the 1943 penny and "steel" used in EC 43 .45ACP cases. Have heard of steel .30 carbine cases, but never seen any.

Do note that the steel was only used in 1943, and in 44 the supply and war situation allowed a return to brass cases and copper pennies.

Which, btw, is one of my questions when someone touts the benefits of steel cased ammo. If it's as good as they claim, why did the US govt go back to brass in 44 when they could have stayed with steel back then?

.30-06 is kind of the "basic" case of the standard .473" head size. Its about the longest case common in that head size, so, almost any shorter case can be formed from it. I've even seen it shorted all the way to .45acp (and reamed).

Saw an article once where a guy made .30-06 into .22-250. Took several intermediate step forming dies, but it was done successfuly.

Its worth more than just scrap brass value to someone, possibly more than usual due to the current shortages, but I expect those to be only a temporary, though painfully inconvenient, thing.
Old October 20, 2020, 05:35 AM   #15
Geezerbiker

About 30 years ago when I only had 2 center-fire rifles, I had loaded all my '06 brass on had so many times that the necks were cracking. About that time Midway had nickel plated Remington brass on sale and I just happened to have extra cash so I bought 500 pieces. I haven't messed with military brass since. I had already made enough 7.7x58 cases so I haven't felt the need to make more.

Somewhere I have 100 rounds of WWII vintage '06 ball ammo. I also had a bandolier of Garand clips with ammo of the same vintage but I gave that to a friend that unfortunately is no longer with us.

Back in the late 1980's I went nuts at gun shows collecting '06 AP rounds. I was always panning to pull them down and reload them into more current brass but now, I might just reuse old military brass. I pulled one down once and the powder looked like instant coffee. There's no way I would shoot any of this old ammo...

Tony
Old October 24, 2020, 11:40 AM   #16
Bart B.

Military rifle teams rarely, if ever, reloaded their 30-06 fired cases. The rifle's bolt face wasn't squared up so fired case heads were out of square. Accuracy degraded about 1 MOA.
Old October 24, 2020, 01:39 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...'06 brass from the corrosive primer days..." Is likely Berdan primed anyway, but the date of the stuff does matter.
"...WWII vintage '06 ball ammo..." Has serious collector value.
"...U.S. gov't used corrosive primers up to..." 1952 or 1954, I forget which.
"...steel .30 Carbine cases..." Not likely American. No U.S. GI .30 Carbine ammo ever had corrosive primers though.
"...why did the US govt go back to brass..." Doesn't rust. Steel, even the mild steel used in cartridges, is not elastic like brass is either. Far lower, if any, scrap value too.
The .22-250 has the .473" rim. It'd be a great deal of reforming to make one out of .30-06 though. 2.35" case length vs 3.344".
Old October 24, 2020, 02:46 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The .22-250 has the .473" rim. It'd be a great deal of reforming to make one out of .30-06 though. 2.35" case length vs 3.344".
Oh, its a bit of work, alright. Takes something like 5 forming dies and a reamer, but it CAN be done.
Old October 25, 2020, 12:13 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

I'd say that WWII vintage ball ammo is mildly collectable. I've never found anyone that was willing to pay enough to even replace it with new commercial ammo. So it sits in an ammo can in my gun room for who knows how many more years...

Tony