The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 30, 2017, 03:27 PM   #26
Chettt

Price it like a high point, make adapters for ever 9 ever made and this thing will be the Model T of firearms.
Old December 30, 2017, 03:54 PM   #27
ThomasT

I like it. I have a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm and would even consider selling it to buy one of these. The take down feature doesn't do much for me but its just the way it is. I sure could live with it.

My bud let his son shoot his first deer with a Camp 9mm. He said the deer ran 40 yards and fell over. Complete pass through on the bullet. For the ranges I hunt at this rifle would work just fine. What a neat little woods gun.
Old December 30, 2017, 05:02 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Link to the manual.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_...PC-Carbine.pdf

There are some detailed instructions with pictures showing the bolt and the enclosed tungsten "deadblow" weight. Also an exploded parts diagram.

There's a buffer in the back of the chamber where the deadblow weight sits.

Looks to me like during the recoil stroke, the deadblow is against the front of its chamber adding to the mass of the bolt. At the end of the recoil stroke, the bolt stops and the deadblow keeps moving for an instant longer coming to a stop against the buffer. That would spread the recoil impulse out slightly.
Old December 30, 2017, 08:14 PM   #29
jimbob86

I think it is aptly named.

Maybe if they made in a non-threatening color scheme, add some peace symbols and doves .....and added attachment points for ...say maybe an air freshener or an incense stick holder ...it could be even more PC ....
Old December 30, 2017, 09:27 PM   #30
BryanP

Quote:
Compared to the old PC9, the new re-incarnation is U G L Y.
I don’t see the difference in appearance being all that substantial. And yes, I want one to go with my SR9c.

Original PC9:

The new version:

Old January 1, 2018, 02:10 PM   #31
lokidansk

The original was blowback.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old January 1, 2018, 03:41 PM   #32
SDF880

I'm with Truthtellers I'm staying with my SUB2000!
Old January 2, 2018, 04:56 AM   #33
Bamashooter

I kinda like it. Probably built like a tank. Swap out the mag well to accept glock mags and add your favorite muzzle device and a decent red dot or 1-4 or 1-6 scope and you would have a pretty nice little carbine.

Waiting to see what other calibers they might offer could be a long wait. Hi point is about to be selling 10mm carbines for all you 10mm guys.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:28 AM   #34
BryanP

I wouldn’t be surprised to see after market mag adapters if Ruger doesn’t introduce them fast enough. If it was me I’d already have adapters for the M&P9 and the P320 ready to add to the Ruger store.
Old January 2, 2018, 09:34 AM   #35
shootbrownelk

Magpul and perhaps Boyd's have stocks in the works? Hope so, the one it comes with is butt-ugly and it's priced $150-$200 too high IMO.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:11 AM   #36
agtman

Quote:
Make that puppy in 10mm ..... and I'll think about it.
And then it would actually have an alternate practical use for hunting, which pushes it further into the politically-acceptable "sporting use" zone.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:29 AM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
it's priced $150-$200 too high IMO.
I'm already seeing it advertised in the high $400 to low $500 price range.

My guess is that once the initial hype dies down, it will be priced in the mid- to high $400 range.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:45 AM   #38
Fishbed77

My initial thoughts:
  • It's too heavy for what it is.
  • That aperture rear sight is awfully far forward. I understand the takedown feature makes a receiver-mounted sight iffy, but would like to see the option. This isn't a target rifle after all.
  • This thing is screaming for a Magpul Backpacker stock, or a new chassis with pistol grip/collapsible stock.
  • The 10/22 trigger unit is a brilliant idea. Wondering if all the easy 10/22 tricks (Volquartsen hammer, modifying bolt hold-open to auto-release) will work here.

All that said, I really like the fact that Ruger is bringing this to market, and I could see picking one up if the price settles close to $400.

Last edited by Fishbed77; January 4, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:12 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

I'd really like to get my hands on one just to understand why it weighs so much.
Take down adds a bit of weight. Maybe the stock is also a decent rigid polymer stock and not something flimsy.
That is really all I keep coming back to as a criticism.

If Ruger doesn't make more mag blocks you can rest assured someone else will. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 3D print models out there already.
Old January 4, 2018, 12:49 AM   #40
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
I'd really like to get my hands on one just to understand why it weighs so much.
The old Ruger PC9 weighed 7 pounds and was 34 inches long.

The new Ruger PC Carbine weights 6.8 pounds and is 34 inches long.

Maybe there were lots of complaints about the old carbine's weight, but I don't remember many.
Old January 4, 2018, 03:48 PM   #41
rburch

Ruger makes an integrally suppressed barrel for the takedown 10/22.

It seems a no brainer to release a similar barrel for this gun.

That plus the inevitable if it sells additional mag wells for S&W FN, etc.

Then the 40, 10mm, 45, etc.

I would love an integrally suppressed 9mm carbine that I could match to my pistol.

Think I might have to get one of these.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 6, 2018, 02:24 AM   #42
kozak6

Quote:
Link to the manual.
Nice!

I was initially surprised to see that it has a BHO, but I suppose it makes sense considering the feature set. Thankfully, one only has to retract the bolt to release it rather than 10/22 style.

The separate bolt head is an interesting. Probably a cost saving measure? It's weird that it is able to move a little.

It doesn't look like there's really anything to the deadblow mechanism. I'm a little curious about the domino dimples on the weight.

The trademark list on the last page is also entertaining.

Does anyone know about R.I.O.S or Tri-Flex? Google didn't turn up anything.
Old January 6, 2018, 07:46 AM   #43
stagpanther

Them Ruger boys aren't dummies--they know when the time is right to roll out a good product. This looks VERY interesting to me--the more pressure the thing is rated for--the more interested I would be in getting one.

I'm immensely grateful that they don't enslave you to a one-trick-pony glock magazine. Huge plus in my book. I'venever been attracted to the take-down design--took a close look at Browning's BLR and as nice as it is--decided it wasn't for me--but a little light-weight carbine like this--ooooh yeah.

I just built a 10mm AR (as well as lessons from an older 9 x 25 dillon long-barrel glock 20 project)--and one of the things I quickly became aware of is you're in the main shooting bullets that weren't designed for upper-limit velocities that are achievable in a carbine. Right now I'm currently looking at 10mm loads using Lehigh 115 gr extreme penetrators--it's a profile that affords lots of powder room; plus it's all copper/brass with at least a nod at a more areodynamic (non-hollow point) profile. My guess is that I should get within a couple hundred fps of 2000 fps--but I don't know til I can test (below zero right now where I'm at).

I'm wondering if the movement towards modern pistol caliber rifles will eventually spur development of true 9 and 10 mm rifle profile bullets built to maximize the velocity potential in a carbine set-up.
Old January 6, 2018, 05:40 PM   #44
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I just built a 10mm AR (as well as lessons from an older 9 x 25 dillon long-barrel glock 20 project)--and one of the things I quickly became aware of is you're in the main shooting bullets that weren't designed for upper-limit velocities that are achievable in a carbine. Right now I'm currently looking at 10mm loads using Lehigh 115 gr extreme penetrators--it's a profile that affords lots of powder room; plus it's all copper/brass with at least a nod at a more areodynamic (non-hollow point) profile. My guess is that I should get within a couple hundred fps of 2000 fps--but I don't know til I can test (below zero right now where I'm at).

I'm wondering if the movement towards modern pistol caliber rifles will eventually spur development of true 9 and 10 mm rifle profile bullets built to maximize the velocity potential in a carbine set-up.
It depends on what you're shooting for 10mm. Some hollow points will do fine at higher than standard velocities. One that I'm aware of is the Hornady Critical Duty 10mm load. It uses the same bullet as the .40 S&W, but it's construction is touted by Hornady as "controlled expansion" which I take as it's not going to over expand or fall apart.

In a .40 carbine, the bullet hits 10mm velocities from a pistol, and the bullet looks the same as if fired from a .40 pistol.

I am of the opinion that for carbines, Hornady Critical Duty is one of the best factory JHP loads for self defense.
Old January 6, 2018, 05:49 PM   #45
jimbob86

Other than being legal in California without modifications (until someone there finds out and gets their panties in a twist!) , what does this offer that an AR carbine of some sort can't do better by a factor of huge and cheaper to boot?

Last edited by jimbob86; January 6, 2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old January 6, 2018, 05:54 PM   #46
stagpanther

Quote:
In a .40 carbine, the bullet hits 10mm velocities from a pistol, and the bullet looks the same as if fired from a .40 pistol.

I am of the opinion that for carbines, Hornady Critical Duty is one of the best factory JHP loads for self defense.
If I'm not mistaken--doesn't this use a proprietary version of an ftx bullet which is not available as a reloader's bullet? I've looked all over for it and can't find it available at the retail level. I bet I could push it fast in my 10mm AR.

My money is on Ruger knows what they're doing and this stands a good chance of gaining traction.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 6, 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:08 PM   #47
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...what does this offer that an AR carbine of some sort can't do better by a huge and cheaper to boot?
I can't tell if this is an objection to 9mm carbines in general or this carbine in particular.

It can be argued that a rifle caliber carbine is going to outperform a 9mm carbine in several categories and probably by a huge margin while the 9mm carbine might have some advantages in other categories. Either way, that's a whole 'nother argument. People who buy pistol caliber carbines don't make the decision to do so because they expect them to perform like a rifle caliber carbine.

On the other hand, if one is comparing this 9mm carbine to AR 9mm carbines, it would seem that this offers some options that aren't common (or aren't available at all) in AR 9mm carbines and at a price that is very competitive. I haven't made a thorough market survey, but with that caveat, I don't see any 9mm AR carbines out there that outperform the Ruger carbine by a "huge" amount in any category.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:16 PM   #48
stagpanther

Quote:
...9mm AR carbines out there that outperform the Ruger carbine by a "huge" amount in any category.
For that matter--I'm not even sure how/what "high performance 9mm" is determined.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:42 PM   #49
jimbob86

Quote:
I can't tell if this is an objection to 9mm carbines in general or this carbine in particular.
It wasn't an "objection" ...... folks can juggle geese if they please, or pay good money for silly guns that strike their fancy ..... but I was intending to point out the shortcomings of former, but the latter appears to be lacking, if to lesser extent, and without looking very hard:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-p...516447190.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516447421.html

....add MBUS sights (anything's gotta be better than that "ghost ring" that's too far from the eye to "ghost") for $75 ....and you are well under the PCC's MSRP .....

If the market likes it, they'll make more .... if not, it'll be an oddity for those that like such things.....
Old January 6, 2018, 07:03 PM   #50
stagpanther

I just gave a quick read of their manual--and immediately what jumps out at me is the bolt assembly--appears to be a self-contained bolt/weight/spring and buffer system which I'm guessing greatly reduces the over-all weight of the action as compared to a blow-back AR. I can't tell for sure--but even the bolt and barrel extension appear to have some kind of engagement that is a little more involved than just the flat carrier meeting the flat chamber face typical of a blow-back AR. Lastly much more versatile magazine selections. Still looks like a winner to me.