The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 18, 2018, 12:41 PM   #1
zipspyder

Winchester 94AE and Scope

Looking for advice. I've tried over/under scope mount for my 94AE 30-30 and just don't care for it plus vertical is off enough that I'll have to shim it. I'm looking at the following mount and rings. Question I have since it's hard to find actual height dimensions for the ring bases is what height should I choose for the ring bases. Sizes come in low, medium high and extra high? The brass needs to eject and keep in mind the scope may interfere with grabbing the trigger if it sits to low. Don't want to debate about why I'm putting a scope on a lever. The 30-30 can reach farther than I want to put a large dot on a deer. I have other lever guns for closer shooting without scopes. Anybody use this combo or any recommendation is appreciated.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...le-eject-gloss

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...standard-rings

Last edited by zipspyder; February 18, 2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

First of all, those are the same link. I think you might have meant this one:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...standard-rings

I also have a 94AE (.45 Colt, but the action is about the same). As you know, "AE" stands for angle eject, so that's a plus for putting a scope on the rifle. I just checked and it looks like that ejection angle is around 60o to 70o.

I don't have a scope on my rifle, but I played around with a spare scope on top of the rifle and ejecting a few cases. It looks like the medium rings (1") will work. I definitely wouldn't use the low rings. You won't go wrong with the high rings if the parallax isn't a problem.
Old February 18, 2018, 02:49 PM   #3
zipspyder

Yup, had wrong link...fixed. I was thinking the high rings would work as well just to be safe.
Old February 18, 2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Fla_dogman

My brother had a two piece base and medium or high rings on his 94AE. Never had any issue with ejecting. Just something to consider.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old February 20, 2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Stubert

Have you tried the Leupold site? They have a drop down menu for mounts and rings by firearm.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:45 AM   #6
zipspyder

Yes I have but oddly the height of the scope rings is missing in the specs and description. I though if somebody actually has used them that might be the best measure.

I was leaning towards the high rings as I though the extra high might be more than I needed.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:45 AM   #7
bobn

weaver lows work on their bases in two different ae guns I have shot. scopes were however compact. a weaver 1 to 3 or a 4x older burris.
.....I have to use scopes too. bobn
Old February 20, 2018, 10:43 AM   #8
TheDevilThatYouKnow

Do you have any objection to the 'scout scope' concept?

I use a rail that replaces the rear sight dovetail and uses either a red-dot scope or a long eye relief scope. Mine was made by a company that's now out of business but the Midway offering is almost the same.

For closer in work I use a peep sight that fits just in front of the hammer.

Both courtesy of Midway.
Old February 20, 2018, 10:48 AM   #9
zipspyder

Yeah, I've looked a those. Don't want to use a long eye relief scope if I can help it and not a fan of removing the rear sight even though it is easy. I know some people really like them though so thanks for the info.
Old February 23, 2018, 09:00 AM   #10
Wishoot

I have a Weaver K4 mounted on top of a two piece Weaver base using medium Weaver rings.

Ejection and parallax are not a problem. Makes for a very good 100 yard hunting rifle.

I know that a lot of folks poopoo scopes on their levers, but I could care less. When my eyes are tired and I've been sitting in a tree stand for hours, I want the clearest shot possible.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:03 PM   #11
Blindstitch

I have had an Ironsighter side mounted scope on my 94ae early 70's model for 23 or so years now with no regrets besides I wish it was drilled and tapped for a top mounted scope. It has killed its share of deer and the occasional grouse.
Old February 24, 2018, 08:09 AM   #12
Jack O'Conner

My pet deer rifle is a 94 Legacy model in 30-30 which features angle-eject. I used medium sized mounts.

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old February 25, 2018, 11:04 AM   #13
zipspyder

Thanks for all of the replies. Just one last question. Does anybody know the screw size for the mount holes? One of the holes on the top receiver is a little "strippy". My 94AE was made between 1980-1985.
Old February 25, 2018, 12:08 PM   #14
turkeestalker

The only two options would typically be either 6-48 or 8-40 SAE.
I pulled out my 94AE 444 Marlin 20" carbine and checked against an 8-40 tap, no go.
I'm 99.9% positive that yours will be a 6-48 screw and taps are available cheap all over the internet that you could clean it up with if you don't already have one.
Just be sure to use some non permanent thread locker when you install your scope.
Old February 25, 2018, 01:06 PM   #15
hammie

@zipspyder: If the hole threads are stripped or nearly so, a 6-48 tap may not help you. Brownells sells slightly oversize 6-48 screws and taps for stripped 6-48 holes. Just go to the brownells web site and search for .146-48 screws and .146-48 taps. They're not cheap. The oversize bottoming tap is 25 $, but it's still more economical than going to a gun smith or buying a new gun.
Old February 25, 2018, 01:18 PM   #16
turkeestalker

^^^^^
Good info hammie, thank you.
Old February 25, 2018, 01:33 PM   #17
hammie

@turkee: No big deal. Something else that I would suggest for others:
If you're going to mount scope bases and tighten down scope rings, then BUY A TORQUE-DRIVER. Midway has a 0 to 60 inch-pound model, which isn't too costly. Midway has also recently started offering the german made felo brand torque drivers. The felo torque drivers are significantly more expensive and have a narrower range, but they're dead on accurate.

I usually torque about 5 inch pounds less than recommended max, and I've yet to strip a screw or have a screw loosen.
Old February 25, 2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Mal H
Staff

Great info, hammie! I wish that had been available about 40 years ago when I stripped the hole in a different rifle.

I can confirm that the screw size is 6-48. I checked my 94 AE with a 6-48 bottom tap.
Old February 25, 2018, 01:46 PM   #19
zipspyder

Thanks guys. I knew it was one of the two sizes but didn't feel like purchasing both. Those over size screws look like the ticket. I'm going to have to think a little over purchasing the tap at $25 plus shipping though. Not sure it's worth it for one hole when it still holds with blue loctite.