The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: If AR-15 style weapons were added to the NFA, what would you do?
Register them, subjecting yourself to BATF oversight and registration 4 80.00%
Turn them in: it isn’t worth the regulation 0 0%
Other: please explain 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2018, 10:19 AM   #1
stephen426

If AR-15/AK-47 type weapons were added to the NFA list, would you register yours or turn them in

With the number of mass shootings occurring with AR-15/Sig MPX style weapons, are these guns headed for the NFA list of restricted weapons? If they were added, would you register your guns (subjecting yourself to registration and BATF oversight), turn in your guns, or other (I’ll leave it at that).

Would it eventually reduce mass shootings (since NFA guns are rarely used in crimes). I assume this is based on stricter regulation, in depth background checks, increasing rarity of guns due to FOPA restricting ownership to pre-1986 weapons, and cost.

As a parent, my heart breaks for the parents who lost their children or who’s children were injured. If it was one of our kids that were gunned down, would we still be saying more guns is the solution? What would work? Raising the age of semi-automatic rifles to 21 like with handguns?
Old February 18, 2018, 10:40 AM   #2
weblance

If the only option was register them, or surrender them, I would register them. I have always thought that autoloading rifles should be added to the NFA. That wouldn't make them impossible to obtain, but would add layers of scrutiny to help identify problems. I certainly understand many people feel very strongly against something like this, but that is how I feel.

I will add this. Why don't schools have metal detectors on entry doors, and security to man those areas? Every court and police station has them. Are cops and judges more important than teachers and school kids ?
Old February 18, 2018, 10:57 AM   #3
TXAZ

What AK / AR are you talking about? Alaska? Arkansas?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 18, 2018, 02:21 PM   #4
s3779m

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
With the number of mass shootings occurring with AR-15/Sig MPX style weapons, are these guns headed for the NFA list of restricted weapons? If they were added, would you register your guns (subjecting yourself to registration and BATF oversight), turn in your guns, or other (I’ll leave it at that).

Would it eventually reduce mass shootings (since NFA guns are rarely used in crimes). I assume this is based on stricter regulation, in depth background checks, increasing rarity of guns due to FOPA restricting ownership to pre-1986 weapons, and cost.

As a parent, my heart breaks for the parents who lost their children or who’s children were injured. If it was one of our kids that were gunned down, would we still be saying more guns is the solution? What would work? Raising the age of semi-automatic rifles to 21 like with handguns?
I do not believe anyone has ever said that more guns were the solution. However, the right to defend one's self is rarely discussed as in why were the teachers not allowed to carry? We can ban all ar and ak, and then what? Ban all pistols that hold more than 15 rounds, then 10, then five.......
Old February 18, 2018, 02:36 PM   #5
raimius

If the options are registration or confiscation, I would register my firearms. That said, the likely outcome would be a substitution of firearms types in crimes, much like the last AWB.if you somehow got rid of ARs and AKs, people would use SKSs and Mini-14s. Even if you got rid of all semi-auto rifles, they would use lever-action or pumps. More would probably use explosive devices, as well. The problem is not so much the weapons but the person who for some twisted reason thinks it is acceptable to murder people.
Old February 18, 2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I do not think it is wise for people to announce in the public internet space whether they would or would not obey a law or a proposed law.

If you want discuss whether you think such a thing is a good idea, that's ok.

Closed.