The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2020, 11:38 PM   #1
ATN082268

Federal flitecontrol loads

I've heard the Federal 12 Gauge flitecontrol 8 pellet 00 buckshot load patterns better than the 9 pellet version. Is that generally true and how does the 12 pellet version of it stack up? Thanks.
Old March 12, 2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Just curious about for what use? In the researching of reviews, and videos it seems Flight Control buckshot is more intended for deer hunting ranges than home defense range. At the more common distance of 20-30 or so feet they shoot like a slug rather than shot. But at hunting range of 20-30 or more yards they hold a tighter pattern than other buckshot loads.
Just some food for thought.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 13, 2020, 12:11 PM   #3
ATN082268

I will use my flitecontrol loads primarily for home defense. I like my shotgun patterns tight
Old March 13, 2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Sharkbite

As stated above, that ammo will produce slug sized patterns at HD distances. Negates the benefit of buckshot in defensive encounters.

We found the same problem in the old (90’s) Remington 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 Buckshot. The pattern was just TOO tight.
Old March 13, 2020, 05:23 PM   #5
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
As stated above, that ammo will produce slug sized patterns at HD distances. Negates the benefit of buckshot in defensive encounters.

We found the same problem in the old (90’s) Remington 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 Buckshot. The pattern was just TOO tight.
What benefit(s) in a home defense situation are negated by a tight pattern of a buckshot round?
Old March 13, 2020, 09:54 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What benefit(s) in a home defense situation are negated by a tight pattern of a buckshot round?
First off, with most tests with the flight control buckshot it isn't a "tight pattern" at home defense distances. It's one hole, rifle like shots. There is no "pattern"
Prevention of over penetration through walls for one. But even with buckshot spreading out to a 10 or 12 inch pattern, each shot has the potential to go through several walls.
Secondly, although shotguns do have to be aimed, a more open pattern is more desirable than a one hole, rifle like shot.
In reality for home defense if there is the possibility of anyone else in the house, or nearby, birdshot is a much safer choice. At ranges commonly encountered in home defense it will still create a devastating wound, but is unlikely to go through walls with enough energy to cause harm to an inadvertent person.

Last edited by Cheapshooter; March 13, 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old March 15, 2020, 03:42 AM   #7
RMcL

Tempest in a 12 bore teapot!

At the long home defense distance of 30 feet, Remington Express 9 Pellet 00B @ 1330 fps held a 6" pattern. In contrast Federal Flite-Control 9 pellet 00B @1330 fps produced a 1.25" pattern at 30 feet. Both from a 20 inch cylinder bore.
Old March 15, 2020, 05:53 AM   #8
2damnold4this

I'll take one hole at ten yards over 6-12 inches at ten yards any day.

Lucky Gunner has some videos on buckshot. Here is one: https://youtu.be/3haq5BFh7qs
Old March 15, 2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'll take one hole at ten yards over 6-12 inches at ten yards any day.
Then use slugs, a rifle, or handgun!
part of a pattern in a bad guy is better than a hole in the wall next to him anyday. A shotgun load with a reasonablr open pattern just increases your odds. A bad guy in your house isn't going to be a piece of paper stapled to a stationary backstop. They will be moving, and multiple chances of a hit is one thing a shotgun does well. Why negate that by making it a one hole weapon?
Old March 15, 2020, 11:56 AM   #10
2damnold4this

A shotgun load with a wide pattern increases the odds that some pellets will miss the bad guy and pose a danger to innocents. The terminal effect of buckshot is greater than that of a carbine and while slugs are powerful, they tend to penetrate more than buckshot.

It's not that difficult to hit an attacker with a long gun at ranges of ten yards or less but it is more difficult to keep every single pellet on an attacker if your spread is six inches or more at ten yards.
Old March 15, 2020, 04:04 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

^
Again, that's why smaller shot is a better choice if you have someone else in the residence, live in an apartment, or a house in close proximity to others. A load of #6 shot at home defense range is devistating, and if a few shot miss they aren't going to penetrate through walls with enough energy to be lethal.
It also doesn't matter handgun or long gun, an intruder intending to do you harm is going to be moving, running, jumping, charging you, everything but standing there waiting for you to shoot.
Old March 15, 2020, 04:47 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

I think that your choice of a load for a home defense shotgun really depends on each person's needs, and surroundings. In a small apartment or condo with ranges more likely in feet not yards birdshot as small as 7 1/2 might be the best choice. Although I think I would feel better with #6 or #4.
With a little more distance, and less possibility for collateral damage, moving up to #4, or #1 buckshot might be a good choice. In an isolated setting without anything nearby to be concerned about, tye bigger buckshot could work well. Unless on a farm with the HD shotgun also serving to remove a coyote heading for the chicken coup across the yard, I don think I would go with the super tight pattern of the flight control round.
Old March 17, 2020, 10:15 AM   #13
ATN082268

I saw a recent video at Lucky Gunner that covered the 8 and 9 pellet Federal flitecontrol loads. The 8 pellet has a slightly tighter pattern because the way the pellets are positioned in the shell, in groups of 2 instead of 3.
Old March 17, 2020, 07:20 PM   #14
RMcL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcL View Post
Tempest in a 12 bore teapot!

At the long home defense distance of 30 feet, Remington Express 9 Pellet 00B @ 1330 fps held a 6" pattern. In contrast Federal Flite-Control 9 pellet 00B @1330 fps produced a 1.25" pattern at 30 feet. Both from a 20 inch cylinder bore.
My point:

At hallway distances, none of the pattern enhancing developments in buckshot ammunition, (at least since the mid-19th century introduction of brass case pin-fire shotshells), make any meaningful difference.
Old March 18, 2020, 08:50 AM   #15
2damnold4this

My goal would be to keep every pellet on target. It's a lot easier to do that with a two inch pattern at thirty feet than a six inch pattern at thirty feet.

If my target is 6x12 inches (say an attacker is bladed towards me) I have to be perfect with the six inch pattern while the two inch pattern gives me some wiggle room. Having the tighter pattern giving me the wiggle room lets me take a faster shot.
Old March 18, 2020, 12:07 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
My goal would be to keep every pellet on target. It's a lot easier to do that with a two inch pattern at thirty feet than a six inch pattern at thirty feet.
On the other side, it's more easy to miss the target entirely with a two inch pattetn.