The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 7, 2020, 03:12 AM   #1
BigBL87

DIY Custom Case Interiors

Just wanted to share my experience and materials I've found if anyone is looking to upgrade their rifle case(s) withoutbbreaking the bank. I've posted about it on a couple other forums, so if you happen to be seeing this again after seeing it on another site, my bad!

Several years ago, I decided I wanted to make an interior for my Plano All Weather XL pistol case. It held handguns, but with all the vertical space it just seemed like a waste. I got some inspiration from CaseClub's custom interiors, and through another site discovered kaizen foam. Kaizen is a closed cell foam made up of several 1/8" layers glued together, making it able to be cut and peeled to different depths. Here's what I ended up with for my pistol case. I have since added 2 more slots (seen in the 2nd picture) and added relief to one for another revolver (not shown), but it gives the basic design. I stacked 2 layers of the foam and glued them together to be able to do this design.

This year, I decided I wanted to do some nicer inserts for my rifle cases as well. The cases I used are two Planos (a 52" All Weather and a 42" All Weather Tactical) and a "Members Mark" case formerly sold at Sam's Club. The 52" case for my Savage 10 I used a CaseClub foam sheet because the Kaizen foam only comes in sheets up to 48" at least that I've found affordably whereas the CaseClub foam is 53". I cut it to shape, then traced the outline and used break off utility knives to cut out the shape. Unlike Kaizen, you can't seperate layers so I had to cut all the way through.

This week I ordered 2 sheets of Kaizen for my last two cases for my Weatherby Vanguard and AR. This time, I used an electric carving knife to cut them to size, and after tracing I used a drywall cutout tool from Harbor Freight to cut the outline (https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ool-42831.html). After cutting the outline, the layers can be peeled to that depth (the cutout tool at its deepest goes about 3/4 of the way through, which is about what I was aiming for. With some more patience they could have turned out neater, but I like them fine and they're definitely plenty functional.

Last edited by BigBL87; March 7, 2020 at 10:46 AM.