The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
droptrd

Stoeger Double Defense vs Maverick tactical o/u

My LGS has these 2 o/u 12 ga's both around $400. The Stoeger feels rock solid. What are the differences between the 2 if any?
Old March 21, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
teeroux

I was in a shop today that had a Stoeger tactical double barrel with a sign underneath that said Joe Biden approved. lol
Old March 22, 2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Waspinator

Haven't held either, but did look into them. Some issues people complained about that I came across while reading were:

Stoeger DD: No ejectors for the shells, making reloads slow having to pry the spent shells out. Also, the safety resets automatically after reloads.

Maverick Tac O/U: Major problem, especially on a gun sold as " tactical and home defense", is that they used a sporting type trigger that has this pendulum thing in the group that swings down and blocks it from firing when the gun is pointed down too far. So, if..say.. you're at the top of a flight of stairs and a bad-guy is coming up at you... your gun won't go bang if you point it down at an angle to take care of your problem. I wish I could find the thread I found about the trigger, the person even took it apart to show the pendulum blocking device in action. But if you are at the store handling one, ask the clerk if you can test it out.. point down 45 degrees and try to pull the trigger.. you will see. NOT something you want to find out in an emergency.

**Edit**
Found the thread, on the other forum I belong to, showing the trigger on the Maverick O/U.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=250839

So, out of the two.... I would stay far away from the Maverick and would have to choose the Stoeger.. that way I could at least shoot it when angled down.

Last edited by Waspinator; March 22, 2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
droptrd

Wow ive never heard of such an issue. Thanks for the info. Im gonna go make buckshot joe proud
Old March 22, 2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Maverick Tac O/U: Major problem, especially on a gun sold as " tactical and home defense", is that they used a sporting type trigger that has this pendulum thing in the group that swings down and blocks it from firing when the gun is pointed down too far. So, if..say.. you're at the top of a flight of stairs and a bad-guy is coming up at you... your gun won't go bang if you point it down at an angle to take care of your problem. I wish I could find the thread I found about the trigger, the person even took it apart to show the pendulum blocking device in action. But if you are at the store handling one, ask the clerk if you can test it out.. point down 45 degrees and try to pull the trigger.. you will see. NOT something you want to find out in an emergency.
I was going to write the same thing. They should write this in bold letters on the box so people don't get stuck buying one not knowing it.

I guess if you go to the VP Biden school of tactics it doesn't really matter though because it'll fire in the air without issue.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
BigD_in_FL

I have more than a few "sporting"shotguns with "sporting triggers", yet NONE of then have this feature preventing shooting at a downward angle - where did this come from?
Old March 23, 2013, 03:52 AM   #7
Virginian

The Stoeger Uplanders with the DOUBLE TRIGGERS and extractors are quite popular with the Cowboy set, and they are hard on guns. When I was getting into that I got one and it was dead reliable. When they added the single trigger option they have run in to a lot of issues with those, so be forewarned. When looking at inexpensive, stay simple. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 haven't sold over 20 million fer nuthin'.
Old February 26, 2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Twinsig

Thread Revival

Long time member but been a while.
I'm looking in to getting my SO a home defense weapon.
Age ~60
5'7
125 lb
Fit w/average strength
No real experience with firearms of any kind
Concerned about handguns & the visiting grandchildren thing
HD weapon for retreat to safespace/bedroom
I'm not confident she could operate my Win1300HD

I'm drawn to the stoeger double defense (O/U)? in 20 ga.
Anyone have personal experience with these? 12-or-20?

Thanks in advance!
Old February 26, 2020, 04:43 PM   #9
darkgael

My son has one. He likes it a lot but he likes anything that goes bang.
For my money...for home defense...try looking at one of the new short barreled pump smoothbores in .410. Light, pointable, recoil is mild. Inside your home, a load of buckshot will work nicely. Four pellets of OOO buckshot at 1200 fps is nothing to sneeze at.
Pete
Old February 26, 2020, 08:08 PM   #10
Twinsig

Yeah, after a perp gets a couple of those he's not gonna ask if it came from a 410.
Old February 26, 2020, 11:45 PM   #11
L-2

Regarding Post 8,

I don't recommend a guy choosing a firearm for a female. I'd rather her choose her own firearm, if any. Here's a website which both of you can read, specifically the "Choosing Firearms" section in this thread's matter, but try to read all the other sections, too.
https://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

My experience is LE. Even if the LEO was a 60 y.o., 125#, 5'7" female, she would be qualifying with a Mossberg 590A1 twice/year using both 1 oz. slugs and 00 buck. Some of these LEOs were 5'0", 21 y.o., 100#, with others of various other ages, weights, and heights.

I think her desire, training, and commitment will play the most part in whether a shotgun of any gauge, is what she'd want to choose.

FYI, many, whether male or female are really liking and choosing to go with the AR-15 over the shotgun when given the choice. Policy, btw, mandates if OK'd for an AR-15, the LEO must still qualify and maintain proficiency with the 12 gauge shotgun (at the dept. where I worked).
Old March 1, 2020, 11:09 AM   #12
Creek Henry

No ejectors= no go. This is important for positive reloading in a rush
Old March 1, 2020, 11:29 AM   #13
Willie Lowman

Messed around with one of those Stoger SxS a few years ago. It would fire both barrels on a single trigger pull about one time out of five.

The owner of the gun thought that was great. I was not so impressed.
Old March 4, 2020, 07:46 PM   #14
Twinsig

I forgot about the cornered cat, thanks.