The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 10, 2021, 05:03 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Conical molds for cap & ball *read the 1st post*

I bought 5 lbs of lead recently and decided for some reason to start casting conicals for black powder revolvers as I can't buy them because for some reason the industry only wants to sell us round balls, I guess it's cheaper for them to make.

Anyway, I've got the Lee .450 mold and my uncle was nice enough to cast me a box of bullets a couple years ago and now I want some .375's.

There are a few molds out there, Lee is the cheapest, then there are period correct molds for the .36 Colt and .44 Johnston and Dow bullets sold by Eras Gone, and lastly Kaido's bullets that need no further introduction.

Not hunting hogs, but I do like me an effective bullet just in case.

I know the Lee bullets aren't too friendly when it comes to paper cartridges, but the Eras bullets are, so how are the Kaido bullets for use in a paper cartridge?

Not saying I'm looking for a bullet to only be used in paper cartridges, but I would like them to be compatible with them.
Old March 10, 2021, 01:28 PM   #2
rodwhaincamo

I prefer to create my own designs from Accurate Molds. This way you get exactly what you want. And since these don’t get reliable expansion a wide meplat is your friend (I am a hunter). After a wide meplat would be a RN like the Lee. The historical pointy conicals are the absolute worst as far as “useful” since they go so slow which merely allows the flesh to stretch thereby creating a smaller than caliber permanent wound track. A RN or ball creates a projectile sized hole, but a wide meplat creates a much larger hole, even at low speeds. Elmer Keith’s Civil War friends both stated the conicals didn’t do well like a ball.

For myself accuracy is quite important, but has to have the energy I need it to. I’ve found that both my ROA and NMA (1:16” twists) do equally well at 15 yds with a ball or a bullet so I have measured and intend to create my next bullet to fill the excess with lead (leaving a little wiggle room).

I’m not sure how hard it is to get a Kaido mold from Lee as they only make periodic runs when he has the numbers for them to retool or whatever.

I’m not sure why you think the Lee bullets don’t work in paper cartridges:

Granted mine aren’t period correct, but they can work. I know the original designs have a much more rebated base than the Lee (or Kaido’s and mine for that matter). Oh, and that’s a .45 cal Kaido bullet next to the Lee.
Old March 10, 2021, 01:43 PM   #3
rodwhaincamo

I don’t know much about the various .36’s made and how the twists may have varied through the years and by manufacturer, but if it’s a slower RB type twist then maybe creating a short bullet is what you’d want.

When I bought my 2013 NMA it didn’t come with the 1:30” as I was told Pietta produced, but I had created a heavy bullet that was just a hair longer than a ball:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=45-195C

It shoots just as well as everything else I’ve shot through my faster twists. But I also learned a few things from this design and will be tweaking a few things.

Both of my revolvers kiss the meplat though. They aren’t designed for that (RB or RN), though the Ubertis I read are designed for the historical conicals. Once I have my universal bullet designed I’ll likely buy an additional ram to epoxy to the nose design. I don’t really shoot balls anymore but don’t want to give up that capability, especially when I can use a ball for practice losing less lead at a range.