The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 12, 2001, 10:26 AM   #1
Steve B

I just purchased an old break action, double barrel, double trigger coach gun this weekend at a local gun show. This is an old gun that had been cut down to coach gun size, it had visible wear and tear but everything locked up solid and looked well maintained, so I didn`t have a problem buying it.

I brought it to my local indoor gun range on Sunday. Dropped in a couple of slugs and fired both barrels. No problem! Dropped in two more slugs, closed the action and BOOM!!!!!! The first trigger fired the slug when I closed the action. My first AD.

I`d like to say "luckily" I had the the barrel pointed down range, but I realize that luck had nothing to do with it. I have had the four basic safe gun handling rules drilled into my head for so long that I end up doing things safely without even thinking about it anymore. I thought about the controversial Remington AD that ended up with a dead child. My son was with me at the range that day and I saw how easily that could have been my son dead, if I mishandled the gun. As a matter of fact, my son took the gun away and locked it up for me. No more shooting until my local smith goes over it. I`m glad my son was there to see firsthand why we handle firearms the way we do!

The only casualty at the range that day was a little chunk taken out of my thumb from the unexpected recoil. A small price to pay.

People! Teach safe gun handling, in season and out of season! Practice safe gun handling so newbies will follow your example! It`s not a matter of "if" you have an AD. It`s a matter of "when" you have an AD. How you handle your firearm everyday will determine the outcome.

Be safe!

[Edited by Steve B on 03-12-2001 at 11:11 AM]
Old March 13, 2001, 08:24 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad this came up, and very glad that proper precations kept the damage to a minimum.

The older I get, the more I think that EVERY used shotgun, not just old ones, should be gone over by a smith before firing.