The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 15, 2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Davecota

Looking to buy a new "fun" gun. Need some suggestions.

Hey guys, I sold some guns recently and want to buy something new to have fun with. I am torn as to what I want and could use the help of some people with more experience than I.

Right now on my list is the CZ Shadow 2. Looks like a super fun gun to shoot and on top of that is competition ready for more local fun shoots. Plus all of my 9mm pistols I own are polymer framed so that would be new to me with the heavy metal frame.

The HK P30L with LEM. This would be more practical as the operations and feel would the be same as my HK45 but with cheaper bullets but I am not sure it would be more fun than just shooting my HK45 as is although it might be a better gun for competition. Not sure on this one.

Some sort of 44 mag revolver as the biggest punch I own right now in pistol form is the 45 ACP and I have shot 50 AE before without a problem and really do enjoy the big punch. I actually don't own any wheel guns.

Been looking at the PTR 91. Love the look of it and I don't own any rifle in 308. It looks like it would be fun to shoot and operate.

Mossberg 930 SPX has also been on my list for a while and yet another platform I don't own (shotgun). My problem here is there is basically no where around me that lets you really practice with shotguns. I mean yeah i now of some places that do a little clay shooting but I want to do more than that if I am going to practice.

Any suggestions or input would be great. Thanks guys.

**UPDATE**

After reading everyone response and shopping around I made a purchase today. I picked it up, felt so good, tried out the action and just fell in love. Walked out with this tonight for a great price. Got it at a pawn shop is second hand but never fired. Still has the factory oil on it.

Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5" 44 Mag

My first revolver, My first 44 Mag. Going to the range tomorrow. Super stoked.

Last edited by Davecota; June 16, 2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old June 16, 2017, 04:46 AM   #2
Kevin Rohrer

A black powder, cartridge firearms is lots of fun to load and shoot. Casting bullets for it is even more fun and rewarding. I recently bought a reproduction, 45-70 Springfield Trapdoor and a 50-70 Sharps breechloader.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 16, 2017, 05:07 AM   #3
Siggy-06

The CZ Shadow 2 is an excellent firearm and I think you'd be really happy with that over the HK P30L. For the .44 mag take a look at the S&W model 69, it's a 5 shot L-Frame so it's easier to carry. As for buying a shotgun, I think every gun owner should own one. The closet shotgun range to me is an hour+ away, but I still bought a mossberg 500 because it was affordable and I could still find ammo during the buying panics.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:27 AM   #4
44caliberkid

After wanting one since they were invented, I was at an auction and got a good price on a like new Desert Eagle Mark 1 in 44 Magnum. It has fast become my favorite fun gun. It makes every trip to the range and my range sessions always end with emptying the two eight round magazines at my target. It is just a work of art. It always cycles, always goes BANG. I have zero complaints, just a real fun piece to shoot.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:17 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Ruger single six.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Longhorn1986

You could do a lot worse than an SAA or clone.
Old June 16, 2017, 10:43 AM   #7
JoeSixpack

Well I don't have one but I always thought the Mauser c96's looked like fun and was unique.. I'd want one of the red 9, 9mm chambered ones though.
I hope to own one some day.

The desert eagle suggestion seems like a good one too.
Never even shot one of those but they're very intimidating looking.
I'd probably go for one in 50ae, or maybe .357, these things ain't cheap.. lowest price I ever seen on one was 750 used.

If you want something that's both cheap and fun however, I can whole heatedly recommend the Hi-point 995 carbine, seriously, I know they get hated on but man are they fun and mine has been top notch reliable.

Throw a red dot on top and it's party time!
Old June 16, 2017, 11:11 AM   #8
kraigwy

I have a lot of pistols and revolvers. But one of the most "fun" though useless is my Russian Nagant Revolver.

Its orginal loading have barely enough power to punch through paper targets. Its double action trigger is about 397 lbs. Single action isn't too bad, I guess.

Its a 7 shot that can be quickly reloaded in about a week. Lee has reloading dies, with the Lee dies, some 32 special dies and some 30 Cal carbine dies, combined, you can load some pretty decent shells.

You can use 32 spl brass, after you stick them in a lathe and shave a bit off the base of the rim.

OK, maybe it isn't really that bad. It is a heck of a lot of fun. And in single action it really doesn't shoot that bad.

Shot this a 15 yards

I did buy a bunch of 32 spl brass to load, but I got tired of trimming the back of the rims so I splurged and bought 200 rounds of factory rounds with boxer primers. The spl brass also is a bit shorter then the 7.62X38 Russian defeating the gas seal system of the revolver. I found the shorter brass isn't as accurate.

I use a 100 gr Lee bullet sized to .312. I used that same bullet in my wife's 32 H&R and my 30 cal carbine.

This revolver probably killed more people then any other revolver in history. It was the primary weapon used in Stalin's purges, killing millions. Not to mention the purges during the Russian Revolution. Also I'm sure Mao used a few to weed out competition also.

I agree there are a lot better Service Revolvers out there. Regardless this is a fun little revolver to play with. It would probably make a good little rabbit revolver also.

I don't think I have got that much fun out of a $95 investment. The club I shoot at has gone mostly to USPSA matches, but if they have a few more 3 gun matches, I'm taking my Nagant Revolver, and Mosin Rifle, but I have to find a Russian shot gun from the same period.

I shot one (3 gun match) with my '98 Krag, M1911, and Win Model 97. Had a lot of fun so the Russian guns are up next. I wont win of course, but near 70 I cant keep up with those kids in the running game.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 16, 2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Coloradohtr

I had the same thoughts a while back. I picked up the HK p30sk and fell in love and have carried it everyday since. The p30 platform is amazing and I don't think you can go wrong with it. I will probably be adding a p30L or a VP9 to go along with my p30sk and USP here soon.

I also picked up a S&W 629 Mountian Gun a while back as well and I love that thing. Recoil isn't that bad out of the 4" barrel as some people make it out to be. Having a revolver and to me a Smith revolver is like having a Harley in your garage...its classic American and they are built like a fine watch. The only down side to a .44mag that I have found was it is expensive to shoot. Weather your shooting .44spl at $27.99 a box vs .44mag at $28.99 a box it can still get expensive. Unless you reload then it's not an issue.

Another fun gun I picked up was a Ruger MkIII 22/45 lite with tactical solutions and volkensen upgrades. It's super fun to shoot and cheap.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Davecota

Just checking in guys. Thank you everyone for input. I made my purchase today and updated the original post with a picture to see what I bought.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:55 PM   #11
44caliberkid

I use 32 S&W Long in my Nagant and don't have to trim anything or make any modifications.
Old June 17, 2017, 04:17 AM   #12
Hal

Quote:
My first revolver, My first 44 Mag. Going to the range tomorrow. Super stoked.
Sweet!
You should love the .44mag.
It's my favorite caliber.

If you don't reload, now is the time to get into it.
Factory .44 ammunition is way over priced & it's way under/over powered.

The .44 really comes alive when you can tailor loads for it.

That rather short 5.5" barrel is going to have plenty of bark to it.
The SA "plow" shaped grip will tame a lot of the bite.

My pet handload of 17.5 grains of Alliant 2400, under a 240 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point w/a small pistol primer, takes care of the "feel" real well.
It's a nice pleasant mid range load that still has enough bark and bite to satisfy. Accurate too.
Old June 17, 2017, 05:24 AM   #13
HiBC

OK,you already bought one!!

I have enjoyed my Super Black Hawk cut to 5 in. it will go to my heirs.

You made a good choice.You won't go wrong with 500 Starline Brass and 500
hard cast sami wadcutter 240 gr bullets.Likely .430 or .431.A close slip fit in the cyl throat is good.
While H-110/296 are top magnum performance powders in the 44,you must load it heavy. Those powders don't "download"
One good powder that is more flexible is 2400. Alliant,I think.
Elmer Keith thought it was a good choice. Its more flexible.

Fun gun? I look funny shooting it,but a Chipmunk little kid .22 is a gob of fun.
And so is an Armalite AR-50,as long as you aren't carrying it.
There are some others between.
Old June 17, 2017, 08:10 AM   #14
Targa

Nice choice OP, I have the same gun and it is fun. I had to change out the nice looking wood grips for some not so nice looking Pachmayr grips do to the recoil of some hot .44's. I am not a fan of the small, plow handle grips with heavy recoil.
Old June 17, 2017, 01:46 PM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Am I missing something, I've never heard of a 44 mag that uses a small pistol primer. But then again, I've never seen a .38 sp with a crimped primer until yesterday either in over 30 years of handloading.
Old June 17, 2017, 02:08 PM   #16
Hal

jetinteriorguy,Nah, I was missing my morning meds before I posted .

U R correct, the .44 case takes a large pistol primer.

Sorry 'bout that!
Old June 17, 2017, 03:50 PM   #17
tallball

Great choice! My Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum is my favorite handgun. They are a lot of fun to shoot. You will enjoy it.