The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 11, 2017, 07:44 AM   #1
Siggy-06

Considering the Remington RP9

I've been looking at a few cheaper double stack 9mm's to have as a back up/range toy. I can get the Remington RP9 for $280 and then they have the $50 rebate, so $230 all together. I've read/watched several reviews, I like the lack of finger grooves on the grip and the 18+1 capacity, magazines are $21 online.

Known issues are a weak slide stop lever(not that I use them as I orefer slingshoting the slide), and some magazine tilt issues(I'll buy 2 extras to try them all).

Any one have an opinion on this firearm? Pros or cons? Round counts? Thanks for any input!

-Sig
Old June 11, 2017, 08:28 AM   #2
DanPop

I own a Sarsilmaz K2P, very high quality and very accurate for about the same price. The RP9 is new and unproven and Remington would not be my choice of a polymer gun.

Check out the Sar here https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k...l#.WT1Eoq4pC2c
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old June 11, 2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Minorcan

My opinion is more on Remington as a company and whether they can produce a reliable firearm and if you do have issues are the able to fix the problem. Based on my experience and product reviews of Remington's past new and existing models I would say definitely that they can't. This based on public reviews and my personal experience, I'll explain.

Look at how they responded to changes they made to a proven rifle the venerable 700. The rifles had trigger issues that caused the rifles to fire when the safety was taken off even of the trigger was not touched. Remington blamed their customers playing with trigger adjustments. They were finally forced to issue a recall as part of a class action lawsuit. Then the bought Marlin a proven company with excellent quality and reputation for performance. They started issuing rifles that were so poorly manufactured that they were unusable. Then there is their reintroduction f a proven older design that worked well, the R51 which was s poorly made it took them over a year and a half to redesign it and reissue it and it still has quality and production problems.

Now for my experience with one of their flagship designs the Remington R! Enhanced 1911. This is a product of their buyout of Para which made very reliable 1911s. I purchased one in 9mm. The pistol arrived with an ejector that fell out after the first range trip because they used a pin that was too short to retain it. Then the pistol had a jam rate of 50% or more. they had installed a 45 cal extractor instead of a 9mm extractor. they sent me a new extractor. It was also a 45 cal extractor. I called and was told that they had mixed them up and couldn't tell the difference. After installing the extractor the firing pin block jammed with the tip of the firing pin extending past the breech face and the pistol would fire when the slide whet in to battery without the trigger being touched (sound familiar). Then I insisted the they allow me to send the pistol in to be repaired. I was told that they can't repair the 1911 pistols they make in house. They send them out to a third party contracted gun smith. That gun smith polished the barrel but didn't notice or check to see if the extractor was a 9mm or a 45 and sent it to the Remington factory to be test fired. Evidently the gun smith can't fire the weapon and test it after he fixes it. Oh it's still in the Remington Customer did-Service process.

Now you probably think I just hate Remington. Not so, I used to be a huge Remington fan for decades and learned how to bird hunt and bust clays using their shotguns but they are not the same company and may never be again. Until they are I would not recommend anyone buy a Remington product no matter how good the deal is.
Old June 11, 2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Siggy-06

I know Remington has been having a lot of quality control/firearm issues, which sucks because of it's long history. I do hope they come back from this.
Old June 11, 2017, 12:59 PM   #5
disseminator

Quote:
Considering the Remington RP9
Why? Just because it's cheap? That's silly. The gun has been almost universally panned. At this price point I'd go with a Hi-point. Seriously. The same amount of UGLY, but the Hi-Point is proven to work and has a much better reputation than Remington at this time.

But, it's your money.
Old June 11, 2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Minorcan

Siggy, I know you probably haven't gotten the answer you wanted or expected but there are some great options out there. In that price range you will have a hard time finding an option except for the HiPoint. You probably will have trouble finding a good used gun in that price range. I would either pay more now if you can or save a while longer and get a much better reliable gun. I'm not a big Glock fan but they are bullet proof (pardon the pun) 100% reliable and reasonably priced. Springfield and S&W also have excellent pistols at reasonable prices.
Old June 11, 2017, 02:28 PM   #7
TunnelRat

To me a cheap gun that is unreliable is an expensive paperweight.

You can look at YouTube at the Military Arms Channel for their experience with two such pistols from Remington, neither of which ran very well. As well is TheFireArmGuy who found the pistol to shoot well but it has to go back to Remington because despite following the directions and even contacting Remington can't get the pistol to disassemble.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 11, 2017, 02:51 PM   #8
sigarms228

If I had to choose a full double stack size pistol well under $300 pistol it would probably be a SMITH & WESSON SD9. The Shield also is in that price range after rebate for a single stack pistol. Both are well proven reliable pistols from a major US manufacturer.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith...sh-223900.html
Old June 11, 2017, 04:05 PM   #9
DubC-Hicks

I agree with sigarms228. The SD9 is a great choice for under $300. Or the Shield if you're wanting single stack.

http://grabagun.com/ruger-sr9e-pistol4354.html

This would be my #1 choice for a full size 9mm under $300 though.
Old June 11, 2017, 04:28 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Buy the Ruger 9E instead. Yes, it'll be $70 more after the rebate is factored in, but you're getting a proven gun design that's been around longer and comes with much better customer service.
Old June 12, 2017, 08:19 AM   #11
HistoryJunky

If you're not against a different caliber, used gun, AIM Surplus has Smith and Wesson M&P .40's for $299 delivered. You get a proven handgun with night sights. That'd be my pick.
Old June 12, 2017, 11:04 AM   #12
GarandTd

I also have a SAR k2p and 1700 rounds later it's been problem free. Sarsilmaz out of Turkey makes some champagne firearms for the beer budget. Definitely worth a look.

There are quite a few quality choices out there right now in that price range. I don't know if Remington will ever return to it's original glory. From what I've seen, hear, and read, I would be apprehensive about a new Remington.
Old June 13, 2017, 10:29 AM   #13
DanPop

Do yourself a favor and watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg
Old June 15, 2017, 08:15 AM   #14
Siggy-06

MAC did do a part 2 for the RP9 where hos second RP9 functioned fine with all ammo. Still bad an issue with slamming the magazines and a round ejecting though.
Old June 15, 2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Wreck-n-Crew

I agree with the SD9VE and the SAR K2P and will add a SAR B6P into the mix. All run pretty near 100. I did a trigger job on my B6P and it was real nice in both SA and DA. Have done them on the K2P as well and great triggers. The DA was like a well tuned S&W revolver.....almost.

Drawback on the B6P is the sights. Though it shoots well they leave something to be desired as far as width and sight picture go so be ready to adapt a little.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:00 AM   #16
Siggy-06

Alright, so I went against everyone's advice and purchased an RP9 anyways for $263. With the rebate it'll be $213 spent. I ran 100 rounds of american eagle 115 gr fmj through it, using both magazines, using the slide stop and slingshot technique, and even racked the slide using the rear sight on the range table. No issues at all. Zero! I'm gonna put another 200 rounds through it and them some hollow points to see what it likes best. If it keeps functioning great to 1000+ rounds I'll order the .45 version too.
Old June 16, 2017, 04:01 PM   #17
Siggy-06

One think I don't like about the pistol is that the replaceable backstraps are held in will a roll pin, pretty firmly. I used a punch and small hammer to remove the small strap size that it came with and replaced with a medium. I also wish the white dots on the rear sight were just a tad bigger. Neither is a deal breaker though, especially for what I paid.
Old June 16, 2017, 09:07 PM   #18
GarandTd

Good for you. I don't always follow the advice I ask for or am given, either. I'm glad it's running well and you like it. Keep us updated as you get to know it better.
Old June 17, 2017, 03:04 PM   #19
Ride Madone

No issue with that particular gun because I have never shot one. My overall feeling about Freedom Group, I don't like them. They buy good companies like Remington and Bushmaster then reduce the quality and provide rotten customer service. I personally won't buy any gun from a manufacturer Freedom Group owns.

I do honestly hope the gun works out for you though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old June 17, 2017, 05:08 PM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
With the rebate it'll be $213 spent.
So long as your new Remington continues to work like it has been, it seems like the RP9 is maybe the best value for a full-size 9mm pistol extant today.
Old June 17, 2017, 09:15 PM   #21
guambra2001

Wow that's a bargain for a duty sized pistol. Glad to hear it's working out.
Old June 20, 2017, 10:15 AM   #22
tahunua001

they're heavy, bulky, and the one I picked up had a weak recoil spring, failed to return to battery after press checks.. no thank you. for $230 I'd rather buy a hi point or sccy.
Old June 25, 2017, 03:48 PM   #23
Glockgreat23

I have no experience but recently bought 3 smith sd9ve on gunbroker. They ranged in price from $206 to $221. I gave my boys one each and on mine I put an apex trigger in it, along with some talon grips. The end result is a Glocks 19 size gun with a better trigger than any Glock from the factory for less than $300. I think it's the perfect knock around gun
Old June 25, 2017, 06:11 PM   #24
DanPop

I own a Sarsilmaz K2P, can be bought for under 250, twice the gun a RP9 is.