The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2014, 11:21 AM   #1
noelf2

Get your Remington #10 and #11 caps !!!

Cabela's has both #10 and #11 Remington caps right now. Must buy bulk (1000 for $59.99) and must pay $20 hazmat plus shipping. Use CLUBFIVE code to pay $5 shipping vs $15 shipping.

Last edited by noelf2; February 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old February 28, 2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Jms920

3rd Generation Shooting Suppy has Rem #11's in 1000 packs for $29.95 plus $7.95 shipping plus the haz mat fee. I just took delivery yesterday. $65 to my front door.
Old February 28, 2014, 03:04 PM   #3
noelf2

Cabela's gets #10s in now and then. Best for revolvers. Today they have some limited stock.
Old February 28, 2014, 04:58 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

Jms: What brand are they? It doesn't state such, but I know Rem #11's don't fit mine. I've not tried CCI #11's, but their magnum version doesn't work either, but ToTW nipples claim standard CCI #11's will work. I do know Rem #10's work great.
Old February 28, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

Too bad Cabelas doesn't offer Ballistol or I'd likely order them.
Old February 28, 2014, 09:52 PM   #6
noelf2

Quote:
Too bad Cabelas doesn't offer Ballistol or I'd likely order them.
Old March 1, 2014, 12:48 AM   #7
rodwhaincamo

I NEED Ballistol (and a few other things), but would like more caps. I can't spend a bunch of money on everything I need or want. I don't want the alternatives they offer.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:04 AM   #8
noelf2

Yeah I get you. I have a cabela's credit card that gets points for purchases. I use that credit card for everything. I wait until cabela's has free shipping or cheap shipping, and use my visa points. I paid about $5.50 per tin of caps this time (not great but not bad either, and I needed more stock). I get the best deals from cabela's, but it takes time and is sometimes seasonal.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:04 PM   #9
44 Dave

Got Remington #10 caps at my local Gander Mountain in Rothchild WI. to day.
They had a full rack I only had 50 bucks.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:45 PM   #10
noelf2

Dave that's good news. Hopefully things are getting back to normal. I haven't seen 10s or 11s anywhere near me in ages.
Old March 1, 2014, 10:06 PM   #11
rodwhaincamo

Since I had to begin ordering online I quit going all the way over to BassPro.
Old March 8, 2014, 04:33 PM   #12
mec

the cabelas stock lasted for a week or a little longer. Remington must have made a lot of them.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:30 PM   #13
ZVP

You gotta be kidding! A shortage of Caps?
Whoops! I haven't bought any in ages, I guess i'd better start shopping!
Thanks for the tip.
ZVP
Old March 22, 2014, 03:39 PM   #14
ZVP

Just the opposite for me!
11's fit with a little pinch, and 10's won't go down on the nipples. Some need a double strike to fire!
Seems that way for all 5 of my revolvers, 11's are best fitting.
I read a post with measurements and supposedlly the difference was in the length of the Cap. Diameter was the same for both.
Remingtons work best for me and don't fragment, CCI's fragment and jam my Colt replicas really bad!
ZVP
Old March 22, 2014, 03:52 PM   #15
B.L.E.

I had plenty before the shortage so I'm not going to buy any until I actually am out or uncomfortably close to being out.
If I buy them up just because I can, then I become part of the problem.
Old March 24, 2014, 02:28 PM   #16
noelf2

Quote:
I had plenty before the shortage so I'm not going to buy any until I actually am out or uncomfortably close to being out.
How did you have plenty? Did you buy more than you needed back before the shortage? I was almost out. If you need them and can't find them locally, the next best is to buy bulk online to lessen the impact of a hazmat fee. I bought 1k 10s and 1k 11s and paid 1 hazmat fee. Am I part of the problem?
Old March 24, 2014, 08:13 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Quote:
How did you have plenty? Did you buy more than you needed back before the shortage? I was almost out. If you need them and can't find them locally, the next best is to buy bulk online to lessen the impact of a hazmat fee. I bought 1k 10s and 1k 11s and paid 1 hazmat fee. Am I part of the problem?
I have about as many as you do, enough for a year or two. A lot of my caps and powder were won as prizes at muzzle loading prize shoots. I went through about 200 caps at the TMLRA Frost on the Cactus shoot. I'll probably go through about 500 at the upcoming Red River Renegade's Shotgun Soiree in Electra, TX.
This is not a shortage, it's a buying panic, like a run on the bank, the shortage created by the buying panic only feeds the panic and the conspiracy theorys and stupid rumors that further the hoarding.
It's not like the cap factory blew up or there is a cap embargo somewhere preventing caps from getting here. Neither is there a sudden increase in the people interested in muzzleloading, in fact, muzzleloading has been in a steady decline since the muzzleloading boom of the 1970's.

Last edited by B.L.E.; March 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old March 24, 2014, 09:07 PM   #18
BirchOrr

I feel...

...sorry for you guys. I can go 2 miles from my house and get ANYTHING (BP)I want or need. (and I do mean anything).

I've just joined forces with the owner (LGS) and (long-time friend) and if you want/need something, I'll do my best.

Send me a PM.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old March 24, 2014, 10:07 PM   #19
B.L.E.

I get most of my stuff from a vendor that comes to the shoots. I only buy from Cabelas and the other big box retailers if I'm desperate for something, not because I hate them or anything, but because of their scalper prices for black powder stuff.
When I do buy in bulk, it's to take advantage of bulk pricing more than it is to hoard the stuff.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:02 AM   #20
noelf2

Quote:
I only buy from Cabelas and the other big box retailers if I'm desperate for something, not because I hate them or anything, but because of their scalper prices for black powder stuff

I buy a lot from Cabela's, but I don't pay the scalper prices. I wait for a sale, combined with free shipping, and points from my Cabela's Visa card. I usually make out like a bandit. There is no Cabela's in my state, so they don't tax my purchases. I would have to pay more if I ordered from Bass Pro or Gander Mtn. I paid less for these caps than I would have had to pay at Walmart (if they had them in stock).

Quote:
This is not a shortage, it's a buying panic, like a run on the bank, the shortage created by the buying panic only feeds the panic and the conspiracy theorys and stupid rumors that further the hoarding.
Kinda splitting hairs here, I think. From the perspective of a non-hoarder, a panic DOES create a shortage of available product.

Quote:
When I do buy in bulk, it's to take advantage of bulk pricing more than it is to hoard the stuff.
So when someone hangs out at Walmart and buys 3 bricks of 22lr for their own purposes (taking advantage of the cheaper price), they are hoarding. But when you buy in bulk, it is not??
Old March 25, 2014, 07:30 PM   #21
B.L.E.

If you really want to split hairs, just going to the range and using ammo contributes to the shortage.
There's stocking up and there's hoarding. I stock up when ammo is plentiful and on sale. Hoarders buy all they can, even at scalper's prices, even when they already own enough ammo to stock the shelves of a Wal Mart, ammo that their heirs will likely end up hauling off to a hazardous waste disposal site after they die, or if we're lucky, will haul off to a gun show and unload for bargain prices.
I predict in a few years, when the hoarders or the suvivers of hoarders start dumping hoarded ammo on the market, there will be an ammo glut and bargains will abound. I've seen this before, only with other commodities.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:37 AM   #22
noelf2

I doubt percussion caps will ever be hoarded. Stocked up on yes, but not hoarded.