The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1
grubbylabs

Crimp question on shot shell

I have been having intermittent problems with the crimp not staying closed. I have been using both a load out of the book and from BPI but either way they want to slowly open again.

Would the brass crimping die from BPI help this or do I just need to play with the adjustment some more?
I have a mec Jr. press.
Old January 13, 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
petemo

Check the type of wad

The wad may be too tall or perhaps not compressed enough before the load is introduced.Perhaps maybe wrong wad alltogether
Hope this helps
Old January 13, 2010, 04:17 PM   #3
grubbylabs

I to wonder if it has some thing to do with the wad but I am using every thing the recipe calls for weather it is from the Lyman book or the BPI load data sheet. It is exactly what they call for.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:58 PM   #4
grubbylabs

Any one else?
Old January 13, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
wxl

What hulls are you using? Always had best crimp with Win AA or quality target hulls. Stay with one brand or you have to make adjustments. Cheaper game load hulls or 6-segment crimps never work for me
Old January 13, 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
reloader28

I have had this problem once in awhile.
It seems like I can usually fix it by setting the final crimp a little lower. It might not work all the time, but it usually works for me.
If you set it too low you will start to mash the hull. When that happens, just back it up a little.
Old January 13, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
grubbylabs

I have using these: Fiocchi 12ga 2-3/4" Orange. They are new never been shot hulls and I am using a AA Winchester wad
Old January 13, 2010, 09:13 PM   #8
reloader28

Are they skived?
I loaded some 20 gauge Fiocchi's one time that weren't skived and had a heck of a time.
Never did finish them, I still have a few left.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:25 PM   #9
grubbylabs

No I have not skived them, would that and the brass die help or, I see where they call it a crimping die and then they call it a crimp starter. What does it do, start he crimp or finish the crimp and is it worth the money? I guess the skiving tool would be worth getting as well?
Old January 13, 2010, 10:02 PM   #10
oneounceload

Three things to check - first is the wad pressure - might need to increase it some; second, adjust the pre-crimp down a little more; third adjust the final crimp down a little more.

without seeing them, it SOUNDS like it's not enough wad pressure and the wad/shot is wanting to relax back to a full length. You might also try a different wad or a different hull. Sometimes the hulls have slightly different lengths, as do the wads.

Your Jr. should have a crimp starter or pre-crimp die and a final crimp die on the last two stations that, when adjusted properly, should do just fine. MECs are typically factory set for AA hulls
Old January 14, 2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Magnum Mike

I agree with oneounce. I can load about any hull on my grabber for target loads. You just need to tweek it. Sometimes if you try to put to much in the hull or wrong wad that happens too. I can go from 7/8 to 1 1/8 loads with no isues. Hope this helps.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:18 PM   #12
grubbylabs

Well thanks for all your input I will tinker with it some more and see what I get.

I am still wondering about the brass crimping stuff that BPI sells, any clarifying info on that stuff?
Old January 15, 2010, 12:46 PM   #13
BDX

Brass Crimp

I can only point to my own foibles and follies on gear additions as a guide here Grubs. My guess is that little red devil on your shoulder is whispering in your ear!

I often will get it in my head that a certain piece of equipment is what i reeeallly reeaaaly need to fix or do something "right"; only to find later that the good advice of others would have saved me the expense and hassle.

My advice is to follow the obviously good advice from the others in this thread. I can say this only because its not me in your shoes, but oh brother, do i know where youre coming from!
Old January 15, 2010, 05:35 PM   #14
BigJimP

I don't know anything about the "brass crimping stuff" that BPI is selling ...no idea what it might be...

But OneOunce gave you good advice / its all in the adjustments of your 3 crimp stations on the press ... You just have to fuss with it a little .... It might be wad pressure / but its not usually the problem.

But changing wads might solve it as well / or changing hulls .... I don't know what gague you are talking about but I don't know anybody that loads Fiocchi hulls...of the reloaders that I know, 10:1 most guys are loading in 12ga and 20ga - Rem STS / Rem Nitro hulls with very good results.

In 28ga and .410 / there is a mix Win AA HS hulls, old styly Win AA's, Rem STS (but Rem's are not holding up very well ). Crimps are a problem on all 28ga and .410's ( unless you have a supply of the old WIN AA's ) ....and most of us that have a few thousand ....are putting disposition on them in our wills ....or taking them with us when we go ...

Last edited by BigJimP; January 15, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old January 16, 2010, 10:25 AM   #15
wxl

Suggest picking up some once fired AA hulls (or other target hulls) and try again. New hulls are difficult as you have to start the crimp creases. If you shoot at a clay target range, you might find a source for some either cheap or free.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:26 AM   #16
grubbylabs

I am reloading 12g. the fiocchi is sold at BPI and the the brass is just a crimping die. I cant tell if it is to start the crimp or to finish the crimp. one add says one thing and another add says something different. guess I will have to call them and see if I cant get the crimp figured out.