The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Tuzo

.357 mag loaded to .38 spl

To avoid the dreaded cylinder carbon ring resulting from firing .38 specials in a .357 magnum revolver I tried something rarely mentioned in the forum. Loaded .357 mag cases with a .38 spl load: 158gr lasercast with 5.0 grains of Bullseye. Result was no carbon ring to clean and pleasant recoil.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2
BDX

Yup

That's the way I've done it. Now all I have to do is get a good tip on how to remove that old carbon ring that appeared b4 I learned to load down my 357's to 38 specs!
Old January 13, 2010, 04:20 PM   #3
FlyFish

I was taught to load .38 Special-equivalent loads in .357 cases for my .357s some 35 years ago and that's the way I've done it ever since.

With regard to cleaning tips, one clever way I've heard of to do it (which I have no personal experience with - see above paragraph) is to flare the mouth of a fired .357 case with your expander die so it just barely fits into the chamber, then force it forward all the way. Supposedly it scrapes the deposit right out.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:59 PM   #4
BDX

Woot!

Outstanding tip FlyFish!
Old January 13, 2010, 10:48 PM   #5
MSD Mike

I have two model 19's and two Blackhawks in 357 and have shot many thousands of 38 special loads through them. In my guns the carbon build is no worse than when I shoot 357 loads, it simply covers a little more of the chamber but it comes right out with normal cleaning methods. I have also loaded 38 level loads in .357 brass with good (But not really better) results but I prefer loading 38 special for target level loads simply because I have tons of brass and I can load it more times without the case mouth splitting like it does on my nickel plated 357 brass.

Thanks
Mike
Old January 13, 2010, 11:06 PM   #6
jimbob86

Carefull:

That's alot of empty space in the case, no? Allowing for double charges w/o overflowing the case?

Less importantly, all that space could allow "positional" differences in burn rate/pressure- on shot #1 the powder could be all up front by the bullet, and the next shot it might be all back by the primer. Pressure curve could be different, making for different velocity/ point of impact. Not a big consideration unless you are shooting bullseye targets competitively.....
Old January 14, 2010, 04:01 AM   #7
Bones507

Load 357,s at starting loads. They arent bad at all, trying to go below what the manual says is asking for a problem sooner or later.
I read a post on here a while back about getting the ring out. I saved it and heres what the guy said to do :
Quote:
I take a "BRASS" 357 casing and flair the mouth slightly more than you would need to set in a bullet. I then tap it into the chambers and it acts as a cutter and removes almost all of the buildup crud from shooting 38's. Then you can clean up whats left easy with a brush and solvent.
Try it and see what happens, cant hurt. Either that or get some of the stainless brushes that they sell to clean the chambers with, i been using those for years. Just dont use them in the barrel.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Tuzo

Jimbo

The volume difference between .38 spl and .357 mag is 11% greater for .357 mag. That should not be enough to mistakenly overcharge a case. Nor should this volume difference result in powder ignition problems. I visually inspect all charged cases prior to seating as a routine necessary precaution.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:36 PM   #9
rc

You can load wadcutters in a .357 case to minimize air space and improve consistency just like with a .38 case. I do agree that the chamber fouling is a problem, but I good brush is usually all it takes to get a .357 fired with .38s working smoothly with magnum brass again. Even so, shooting only .357 length brass makes sense if you don't need the same loads for a .38 special only handgun. rc