The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 12, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
drdirk

Let's talk about nipples!

Besides dry powder, nothing will provide more reliability than good, clean nipples. I am curious what everybody found to be the best way to clean, dry and which is the best brand.

I have had good luck with my Ruger Old Army nipples but with my 1858 and my just purchased 1860 it is a hit or miss. Both guns are made by Pietta and I am using the factory nipples. I found that the flash hole is not consistent and in one case it is too small to fire at all. I thought of getting a replacement or enlarging the flash hole so I am curious if any of you have "tuned" your nipples to be more reliable. I also read some threads on aftermarket nipples but they seem quite expensive and before I buy something else I was hoping to get some nipple advice here.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old December 12, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

I use Treso nipples in all my C&Bs. Small, consistently sized flash hole reduces blowback. I remove and clean the nipples after each match, and soak them in Birchwood Case BP solvent while cleaning the rest of the gun. Use a brass bristle brush to remove all the fouling from the outside, run a pipe cleaner down the inside, and blow them off with some canned air. Lube threads with Balistol before reinstalling. Using this regimen, I've not had a stuck or clogged nipple and few caps falling off into the action.

Some will argue that removing the nipples is unnecessary and causes undue wear on the threads. I've not found this to be of any consequence. Removing the nipples allows me to remove all the fouling from the recesses in the cylinder and the nipple itself that, IMNSHO is better for the pistol in the long run. This works for me. YMMV
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 12, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
grymster2007

Quote:
Some will argue that removing the nipples is unnecessary and causes undue wear on the threads.
It would be real hard to wear out the threads. With a little lubrication and as long as they are not over-torqued, they could be threaded in and out every day for a few lifetimes without wearing out.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
mykeal

I do exactly (well, not really exactly; I use T/C No. 13 bp solvent and Gorilla Grease anti-seize, but otherwise it's the same, including Treso nipples) the same thing as Fingers and it's served me well for over 30 years.

As for wearing out the threads - let's see, I've been removing and cleaning the nipples on my 1858 Remington every time I've shot it since 1977. Probably into the thousands by now. Wonder how many more times I'm going to have to do that before they wear out????
Old December 12, 2008, 12:52 PM   #5
cbm1948

Talk about disappointment I thought this thread was headed somewhere else.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Hawg

I use factory nipples. Never had a problem with them and I have two Pietta's. I do need to switch one out so they use the same cap size tho. My 58 Remington takes #11's and my 60 Colt takes #10's. I'm one of those that never saw the need to remove them for cleaning either. A tight fitting patch will force water through them and pull water back through them. I've got one revolver I've had since 1969 and it still has the original nipples which take #9 caps but I doubt I'd ever get them out without heat.
Old December 12, 2008, 04:36 PM   #7
sundance44s

Somewhere`s else ..with lots of pics ...
Old December 13, 2008, 04:33 PM   #8
drdirk

Thanks for all the comments. I have heard good things on the Treso nipples. Any feedback on where to get them and how much will they cost? Any of you "clean" the flash hole with a needle or something? I always remove the nipples for cleaning then reinstall. Sometimes I will fire a cap only before loading to dry them out and get rid of any oil residue that may have collected.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Possibles shop or Thunder Mountain are good plces to get Tresos. Never put anything in the flash hole to clean it. The solvent and a blast of air is all you need. A needle or pin or whatever could enlarge the hole and cause more blowback than it should.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 13, 2008, 08:53 PM   #10
mykeal

Treso nipple retailers:
Jedediah Starr
The Possible Shop
Track of the Wolf

One should never use a nipple pick? Hard to see how that could enlarge the hole, but I suppose it's possible.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:27 PM   #11
kwhi43

I have had a treso nipple in my .58 Zouve musket since 1976. Many 1,000's
of shots. Same nipple, still same hole size. Load 55 grs Goex FFF, .575 ball
.015 patch. I also have those nipples in my Pettia 58 Rem. Revolver.
Old December 14, 2008, 07:12 AM   #12
grymster2007

The nipple pick will enlarge the hole nearly as fast as the threads will wear out.