The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2017, 08:33 AM   #26
g.willikers

Quote:
your daily wear glasses have to be usable in a self-defense situation.
What about those who don't wear glasses other than for reading?
Old April 23, 2017, 10:22 AM   #27
Don Fischer

I wear bi focals but seeing a front sight that is not blurry to me is something that never happens. For shooting my carry gun, I gave up completely on trying to used the sights, wasted effort! I've been practicing pointing and shooting both eyes open Not gonna win any shooting contest's but if the target is the size of a two pound coffee can, it's in trouble out to about 10'. My revolvers I still do used the sight' on, all three have 6" barrels and the sight's are fuzzy but I have time to look out at the target them resight across the gun. Never get a clear picture but I shoot slow and it's not all that bad. Where my bi-focals really get in the way is shooting with a scope. Pick up a rifle with a scope and look through it and for some reason I'm always looking at the line where the reg and bi-focals meed. Constantly adjusting to get rid of that lousy sight picture!
Old April 23, 2017, 10:59 AM   #28
P5 Guy

Progressive lenses

I used to work for the company that made them, I got all my lenses for free ground to the prescription. The Varilux Lenses were a snap to adjust to for me.
Since I was retired I have not had a new pair of glasses and have found for handgun and long gun I now do not use any correction. Nothing is in sharp focus but I can still see well enough to use open or peep sights.
Old April 23, 2017, 12:46 PM   #29
K_Mac

g.willikers, a person who wears glasses for reading only might be the exception in needing to remove glasses before a self-defense shooting. I don't consider them daily wear glasses, even though many folks have them off and on many times over the course of a day. I suppose if attacked while at the library this might be an issue, otherwise it is not in my opinion.

I wonder how many folks still go to the library...

Last edited by K_Mac; April 23, 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old April 23, 2017, 03:53 PM   #30
DT Guy

The what?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 23, 2017, 05:06 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

Stick on bifocals

From WW2; post #14:

Quote:
You can use the stick on bifocal lenses (https://www.amazon.com/Optx-20-Stick...eading+glasses).
WW2, I think you just changed my life. Just placed my Amazon order for them. These appear to be exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks.
Old April 24, 2017, 08:47 AM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

FWIW, what I did:

I finally went to tri-focals. In IPSC I used the Weaver stance. I had an additional lens-insert, about 1/2" x 3/4", glued to the upper segment of the master-eye lens, right by my nose. The diopter was the same as the middle part of the tri-focal lens.

The sights were razor sharp. The target was slightly blurred, but not to any detrimental degree.
Old April 24, 2017, 11:19 AM   #33
tipoc

Quote:
The key, I believe, is to find what works for you and your glasses, and practice and then practice some more until you acquire a level of ability that meets your standards of excellence.
Or the standard of, "Well that'll work".

I think this approach is about best. Sometimes it takes time and experimenting to find what works best for any one individual.

tipoc
Old April 24, 2017, 05:58 PM   #34
JN01

I've found that slightly squinting helps sharpen the front sight a bit.
Old April 24, 2017, 06:18 PM   #35
WW2

To Nick_C_S

You are welcome. I also like the flip-up readers that were posted by another responder.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old April 25, 2017, 07:35 AM   #36
Excoastie

although I am only 45, I have been wearing bi-focals for over 35 years, until about 10 years ago, they were plain glass for distance, and a reading prescription in the bi-focal part.
It's one of the few things that the Army doctors did right when I was a kid. The theory was that I wouldn't have to take 'em on and off as much, therefore less chance of damaging (or losing) the glasses.

Back then, there was no such thing as the "no line" bi-focal. I got used to wearing them with the line, and I don't even see it anymore. It's also a lot easier for me to 'transition' from distance to reading prescriptions.

My advice to the OP, would be to look into some 'regular' with a line bi-focals in his normal Rx and go from there. I don't have any issues with using open sights or with some sort of optics. I just focus on lining up the front sight with the rear sight, and I expect to have a slightly out of focus target.

Exco
Old April 27, 2017, 05:50 AM   #37
zeke

Went to progressives years ago, with the progressive part raised up slightly. Now I shoot at blobs. Finally bought a glock about 2 months ago, and the "old man" large white outlined sights are nice. The sights are still fuzzy, but can line them up, without tilting my head back.
Old April 27, 2017, 07:05 AM   #38
22Shooter

What Daily Wear Glasses Work Best?

I stick with my every day progressive lenses for shooting and have learned to use them, because that's what I'm going to have on my face every day when I'm not expecting to be shooting. Progressive lenses let me focus on the front sight and still see enough blurry rear sight and target, not much different than before the eyes got old on me. I started out with progressives, and they did take some getting used to for everything, not just shooting (hello stairs!). I can't comment on whether they work better than bi-focal or tri-focal setups I've never used, but I can say they work.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:33 AM   #39
natman

Quote:
Even a normal eye cannot focus three points at once.
The front sight should be perfectly focused ! That's why in some of the IPSC matches shooters would wander around mumbling 'front sight ,front sight '
If necessary you can roughly line things up with target focus ,then just before shooting bring your focus back to the front sight !!
You're right, nobody can focus on more than one distance at once.

The problem is that when you get to the age where you're wearing bifocals your eyes are no longer as flexible and you can't focus on the target and then shift to the sights with the same prescription. You can see the target with the distance lens OR the sights with the close/mid lens, but only one of them. I remember being able to shift focus back and forth in the manner you describe, I just can't do it anymore.

Which I why I no longer hunt with open sights.
Old April 29, 2017, 10:09 AM   #40
tipoc

Getting old is better than the alternative but it's definitely not for the weak or easily frightened.

I wear my street glasses when I shoot defensively at the range. More point shooting nowadays (looking over rather than through the sights) as the front sight is just a blur. For a longer, more accurate defensive shot I can tilt my head to bring the lower portion of the bi-focals into play. This enables me to see the front sight clearly.

I have another set of glasses for more precise shooting at distance, the second set allows me to see the front sights clearly without tilting my head. The target is a blob unless I switch glasses. While I can see the sights well I can't even see a bullet hole in the black at 10 yards or beyond, not even with a shoot-n-see. So I have a small telescope with me in my shooting box.

My bi-focals are of the executive style. These allow me full peripheral vision which is an aid in shooting and work. The full line across does not bother me as it does some.

I've tried progressives but the loss of peripheral vision and the constant tilting of the head is an irritant.

I tired trifocals, both at work and the range. They did not work for me, meaning that the shifting of the head to get the precise spot where the lenses were in focus was an irritant.

I need scopes or red dots on my long guns. Otherwise the sights are a blur.

There isn't one fix for all. Find what works for you. A solution is out there.

tipoc
Old May 4, 2017, 12:02 PM   #41
Auriemma

I can't say I use bifocals (I wear contacts), but reading glasses are occasionally needed. That being said, my eye doc set my contacts up so that my dominant eye (right) is set for 20/20 distance, while my left is set for 20/30, allowing me to read without glasses. My brain does the switch and I don't notice the difference unless I close an eye.

This causes me an issue when shooting, since my dominant eye (right) cannot focus on the front sight (both sights are blurry). So I'm left with 2 options:
1. Shoot right handed using my left eye (which I can)
2. Swap my contacts (left for right) before shooting. Takes a few minutes to get used to but I deal with it.

I guess I'll need to talk to my optometrist on my next visit.
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Old May 6, 2017, 10:25 PM   #42
Ruark

Same problem here. For rifles (e.g. an AR), one answer: a red dot. Problem solved. For handguns, don't worry about it. In the heart-attack, split-second tension of a self defense shooting at handgun range, the sights will be the farthest thing from your mind.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:44 PM   #43
osbornk

Quote:
I can't say I use bifocals (I wear contacts), but reading glasses are occasionally needed. That being said, my eye doc set my contacts up so that my dominant eye (right) is set for 20/20 distance, while my left is set for 20/30, allowing me to read without glasses. My brain does the switch and I don't notice the difference unless I close an eye

I wore contacts until I needed bifocals and my eye doc tried the same thing with my contacts. Apparently, my mind didn't adjust and I could not wear them. That is when I started wearing no-line bifocals and I don't even notice that they are bifocals at all.
Old May 8, 2017, 09:46 AM   #44
TailGator

I tried the idea of two different contacts, too, without success. My doctor pointed out that one eye was in focus all the time, and I retorted that one eye was also out of focus all the time. I couldn't stand it and went to transitional bifocals with ease and comfort. I am sure it works for some, but not for all.