The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 14, 2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Dusty Rivers

As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016

Preview

As reported in the Freestone County Times 1/13/2016 ( Fairfield Texas) "Safety Supercedes (as spelled by the paper) Lawsuit Risk This is what I think we need to do stated county commissioner Craig Oakes of Pct 2, as the county voted to ban guns ( concealed or otherwise) from all county property and buildings" This vote appeared to be in spite of the recommendations of County Attorney Chris Martin who presented a proposal to only ban in the areas housing courtrooms and court records. Mr. Martin's proposal was" based on recent opinions handed down by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton".

However Mr. Oakes and others unnamed chose to ignore the recommendations.

OC and CC proponents are now being pitted against each other as the CC proponents are now blaming the OC proponents of getting CC banned as well as a result of OC passing in Texas. and now we have small county commissioners able to circumvent the government of Texas and ignore the law as it was intended. Lets keep all those finger printed, investigated, trained, permit holders in check, after all safety supersedes lawsuit risk??????????????? I am beyond upset- in Texas! Yes no need to tell me how great Kentucky is. I get it
Old January 14, 2016, 12:33 PM   #2
carguychris

A law was recently passed to require (not merely permit) the TX Attorney General to investigate improperly-posted 30.06 signs on local government property. The AG's office has created a special 30.06 complaint website and a 30.06 complaint hotline (1-844-584-3006, note the last 4 digits ). Note that the law requires the complainant to file a complaint with the local government entity before seeking relief from the state.

The AG has also issued 2 opinions on the matter, which may be found here and here.

Although I know nothing about local politics in Freestone County, this strikes me as blatant partisan posturing, and I predict a quick capitulation if the County Commissioner's Court is actually confronted by the AG.

All that being said, I understand that there is still some uncertainty regarding a local government's powers to ban open carry by posting 30.07 signs; the AG's office has made some noise about issuing opinions on this, but AFAIK it has not happened yet.

(As a footnote, if Freestone Co. actually attempts to sue the state over the 30.06 signs and they lose, I'll consider it karma for a speeding ticket I received on F.M. 80 in 1996. )

Last edited by carguychris; January 14, 2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 14, 2016, 12:39 PM   #3
ThomasT

They were talking about OC on the radio last night. Now it seems since OC is allowed that businesses that once didn't care if you CC on there property it was OK. Now they are putting up signs banning any type of carry.

The point was the OC may have caused more harm than good for gun owners.
Old January 14, 2016, 01:06 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Yep, the fruits of labor can be bitter. The cops should have arrested a couple of OC idiots a year or two ago for public disturbance and nipped it in the bud.
Old January 15, 2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
They were talking about OC on the radio last night. Now it seems since OC is allowed that businesses that once didn't care if you CC on there property it was OK. Now they are putting up signs banning any type of carry.

The point was the OC may have caused more harm than good for gun owners.
Not really. It was entirely foreseeable and foreseen. Bunches of signs went up when CC went into effect and then they fell away. The pattern will repeat.