The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 7, 2016, 04:23 AM   #1
chris in va

TX OC and my KY permit?

Simply put, if I visit family in Texas, could I theoretically open carry there using my KY permit? Both states are reciprocal.
Old January 7, 2016, 10:05 AM   #2
carguychris

Although I'm not an attorney, I'm going with "yes", because the new TX law simply eliminates the word "concealed" as it relates to handgun licenses; IOW the single license gives the bearer the ability to carry either open or concealed at his/her discretion. I don't see how TX law enforcement could possibly treat out-of-state reciprocal handgun licenses differently.

Be aware that
  • OC requires a belt or shoulder holster;
  • OC and CC require separate and distinct no-entry signs prohibiting carry at private businesses [this has been extensively discussed in a separate L&CR thread]; and...
  • There is currently some noise being made about retailers who sell alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption possibly starting to check open carriers' handgun licenses at the door, due to a provision in the TX Alcoholic Beverage Code that potentially penalizes a retailer who "knowingly allows" someone to carry an unlicensed weapon onto the premises. [This would not apply to restaurants that sell alcohol for on-premise consumption, and "51%" bars and clubs are already off-limits to carry; FWIW compared to the laws in most other states, the TX Alcoholic Beverage Code is downright byzantine, but I digress.]
Old January 7, 2016, 10:33 AM   #3
lagavulin62

How would a store be knowingly allowing unlicenced carry if they didn't check each oc customer? Does the law require this of store owners? No it doesn't so how could a court prove they knowingly allowed it? I understand some fancy lawyer will screw this up with a successful lawsuit at some point in the future but as I understand it the burden of proof is not, or shoukd not,be ob store owners, but the individual who OC's.
Old January 7, 2016, 10:35 AM   #4
lagavulin62

Sorry. Posted to wrong thread.