The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
CK_32

Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical worth the extra $250??

Iv been looking at bushnell elites for a while and have been wanting
a mildor raticle and put tactical adjustment turrets on it..

But iv looked at them and noticed that (i dont think) they come with
mildot unless you get the tactical version.. So i was wondering if the
tactical is worth the extra $250 and save me time and effort or if
there is a not so good rating about them. or some flaw before i look
into getting one anymore...

Thanks
Old December 17, 2009, 04:23 AM   #2
CK_32

Or would you prefer a leupold??
Old December 17, 2009, 11:32 PM   #3
dawico

Get the Leupold over the Bushnell every time. Apples to oranges. You get what you pay for. I have heard of Bushnells getting the reticle knocked loose, and not older models either. The 10 power that Barrett puts on their 50s in specific. I am guessing that one of their better scopes, to be offered on that gun. The Leupold warranty is hard to beat also.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:58 PM   #4
CK_32

Thanks.

Is there a tactical version or one with mildot?
Im looking for a tactical version or somthing
with mildots but not planning on spending $900 on
a scope.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
rickdavis81

The bushnell elites are good scopes. Leupold are good scopes. I just don't believe that the Leupolds are worth the extra 3-600 dollars. I believe in the you get what you pay for up until a certain point. Once you get to a certain point you don't gain much quality till you make a huge leap. Such as Nightforce or US optics.
Old December 19, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6
CK_32

Yea idk im just scared cause iv seen a few things about the cross hairs moving and i really dont wanna spend $600 on somthing thats ganna f*** up.

But then again i dont wanna spend my life savings on a scope ya know..
I was looking around and alot of people have leupolds but then again
there are alot of people out there with a larger fund to take from than i do.
Iv been looking at a custome leupold Mark 4 built to my specs and kinda
like it but then again its ganna set me back 1k just for the scope and
take me about 3 times longer to save up and get my rifle
Old December 28, 2009, 07:48 AM   #7
igor

I have a non-tactical 6500 with mildot reticle. Bought it early this year at The Optic Zone. The tactical version wasn't available yet, I would have preferred those turrets though.

As to B&L Bushnell vs. Leupold, both are crap compared to even Zeiss, let alone Schmidt&Bender or Swarowski. You get what you pay for but the curve bends nicely right around the 6500 Elite area...
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004

Last edited by igor; December 29, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: remembered the supplier name wrong
Old December 28, 2009, 10:34 AM   #8
5whiskey

Quote:
Yea idk im just scared cause iv seen a few things about the cross hairs moving and i really dont wanna spend $600 on somthing thats ganna f*** up.
Yeah, you can rest your fears because Bushnell Elites are NOT junk scopes. They have a lifetime warranty and the glass is comperable to Leupy II. The 6500 may compare to IIIs.

Don't be afraid because someone has heard that the reticle was knocked loose once on a Barrett. I'm sure at some point a Leupold has failed as well, as all things made by men have the potential to fail. I have First Hand experience with several Bushnell products, from the lesser banner scopes up to a spacemaster spotting scope and Elite rifle scopes. My personal favorite (as for price/performance) is a 3200 elite, with mil reticle and target knobs, that has excelled my wildest dreams of what a scope could do for the price. The rifle/scope combo holds under .5 moa, the target knobs adjust the exact same way every time, I personally measured the mil reticle and it is a "true" mil, and the glass is very nice. Not AMAZING, but very nice.

Igor is right. Bushy and Leupy are both junk scopes if you want to compare them to a ziess or swavorski. For those of us that don't have 1500 bucks to drop at will, Bushnells and Leupolds suffice rather nicely(with Bushnell being a better value, IMHO). Some people HAVE had bad experiences with a certain product. I think the general concensus on this board will be that the Bushnell Elite series of scopes are very competitive with Leupy, especially once you look at the price difference.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:54 PM   #9
saands

%W and I obviously agree on the Elite 3200 being a great value ... I will 2nd his comments and add that I have also measured the clicks on the 3200 and verified that they are true 1/4 MOA and not 1/4" at 100yds ... at 100 yds this difference is insignificant, but when you start dialing in 25+ MOA for drop at 1000yds, the difference between 1/4MOA and 1/4"@100 is more than a foot

Saands