The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 17, 2015, 09:03 AM   #26
jaysouth

Bison?

How about a Sharps rifle in .45-70? With a 500 grain soft lead bullet going about 1,000 fps, the "buffalo hunters" killed bison by the tens of thousands. According to popular lore, shooting from a running horse at running herds.

Just learn to shoot from the back of a galloping horse and get real close.
Old June 20, 2015, 07:55 AM   #27
Nathan c

well how about a 338-06 it's just under a 338 win mag ad far as muzzle velocity gos if your reloding it takes less poder and is easyer on the shoulder down side is you will have to reload because the fatery stuff is expensive
Old June 20, 2015, 07:59 AM   #28
Jack O'Conner

I've hunted bison only once so I'm not an expert. I crawled across the South Dakota prairie to get within 125 yards of a big female and toppled the animal with one shot through the head at butt of the ear. The animal died instantly. My rifle? Remington .308 carbine shooting 180 grain core-lokt ammo. I've used this same hunting outfit for a moose & caribou hunt in Saskatchewan yet experienced no problems at all regarding killing power or penetration through the chest organs. The local Cree people hunt moose with their 30-30 carbines.

It's been my experience that proper shot placement results in an animal downed rather quickly. Armor-plated animals do not exist except in the imaginations of the few who read too many magazine articles about magnum rifles.

Jack
Old June 20, 2015, 12:19 PM   #29
natman

Quote:
toppled the animal with one shot through the head at butt of the ear.
You can kill darn near anything with anything with a head shot.

In any discussion about "is cartridge X enough for animal Y?", a reply of "Yes, as long as you use a head shot." really means "No, it's not enough.".
Old June 22, 2015, 08:14 AM   #30
Dirty_Harry

In North America, unless its for Bear defense, I would stick with a .308 or .30-06 personally. Alot tamer on the shoulder and wallet.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 22, 2015, 08:20 AM   #31
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
toppled the animal with one shot through the head at butt of the ear.
You can kill darn near anything with anything with a head shot.
Quote:
In any discussion about "is cartridge X enough for animal Y?", a reply of "Yes, as long as you use a head shot." really means "No, it's not enough.".
You must have missed the part where he stated that his .308 performed well on chest shots on moose and caribou also.
Old June 22, 2015, 08:37 AM   #32
Nathan

Personally, I find that the 350 Rem Mag, 35 Whelen, 338 RCM or similar would be a best fit, but 300 WSM, 300 win mag, 338 federal or 45-70 would be more versatile.
Old June 22, 2015, 10:26 AM   #33
natman

Quote:
You must have missed the part where he stated that his .308 performed well on chest shots on moose and caribou also.
No, I just didn't consider it relevant to the point at hand, which was headshots.

Look, it's entirely possible to kill BIG game with a 308. However, if you are going to buy a new rifle from scratch for the express purpose of hunting elk and bison, there's no point in trying to stretch a deer cartridge into service.

Last edited by natman; June 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old June 24, 2015, 03:45 PM   #34
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Look, it's entirely possible to kill BIG game with a 308. However, if you are going to buy a new rifle from scratch for the express purpose of hunting elk and bison, there's no point in trying to stretch a deer cartridge into service.
I agree somewhat, but everyones circumstances are different. What about a recoil sensitive individual? What about someone who has semi auto 308's and wants a bolt gun to hunt with (me). What if they arent rich and want to shoot more often? (granted if they can afford a hunt like this they can probably afford to shoot)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 24, 2015, 05:35 PM   #35
RaySendero

Quote:
gtriple

I do not still have the 300 win mag or the Weatherby. Both went away with sales/trades in the past. I will be purchasing a new rifle for these hunts. I plan on doing elk hunts yearly for the foreseeable future, so that would really be the priority.

Said what you don't have, but didn't say what you do have!

Well anyway...Sounds like you have a great excuse to buy a new rifle

I like the recommendation for a 338WM. I was there at the same decision point some years ago you are at now.

I reload. So solved the same problem by adding a 9.3x62 instead of the 338.

Tags
buffalo , caliber , elk hunting , recommendation