The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
9mm

FTF in shotguns?

Ever get any duds in shotguns? I fired about 600+ rounds of 20/12g/410 and never had a FTF. What is a FTF like in a shotgun? much more dangerous? I know with a rifle its just a single projectile, but with a shotgun the whole thing will blow up if some reason it did?......... When I am at the range, I set my FTF/Duds in front of me facing down range, the shotgun. For some reason if it went off, would blow up in your face?
Old September 12, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
TheSILENTtype

I have had at least 100 duds in my life.

None of forementioned ammo was old, reloaded, previously bangedup or wet etc.

I have experienced this with 000,00 and most things down to 8's.

However, I have only ever had one let lose ATF in 00 buck. Did a hell of a job on the 870 I was using, however it was contained to the chamber and barrell for expansion.

I have witnessed SSG go off once ejected from a semi .. all the steel went in the ground-bound, due to the natural rear-up jumping motion these shells tend to take.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
TheSILENTtype

In addition, 80% of the duds were from the same Manufacturer.

Unfortunately, I can't give shout-outs or reviews online by name..
Old September 13, 2012, 01:32 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

FTF's happen with shotguns. I have seen discussions of how to deal with an FTF in a weapon. Keep the shotgun pointed down range and wait a good minute before ejecting it. No one considered the issue you raise; what to do with the shell once ejected. I suppose it could still cook off. I would like an answer to that one.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
zippy13

Failures to fire are typically ammo or firing pin related. In 100,000s rounds, I've had less than a hand full of FTFs and they were all related to insufficient primer strikes. As TheKlawMan said, if you get a FTF, keep the gun pointed in a safe direction and wait a while before opening the action. I've never witnessed a late discharge with a shot shell, but have seen it a rifle (.375 H&H Mag) with old reloads and I was amazed by how long it took.

In my experience with factory and reloaded ammo, a blooper is a much more common problem than a true FTF. Also, with a blooper there's the potential hazard of an obstructed barrel. Years ago, a club members bought a high grade Belgian Browning O/U. The first day with the new gun, he had a blooper with factory ammo. There was enough energy for the shot to break a close incoming target, but the wad didn't clear the barrel. Since the target broke, he didn't give the light load a second thought. With his next shot, one of his barrels looked like a snake who'd swallowed an egg. If there's a shadow of a doubt, always make sure your barrel is clear.