The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2019, 11:03 AM   #1
Pahoo

Ruptured Shot-shell Bases.

Not sure where to post this but here it goes;
I routinely clean shotguns for relatives and friends, in preparation for the coming hunting seasons. Have to admit that I enjoy cleaning firearms. …..

As part of the cleaning, I take them to the field and perform a live-fire functional check, especially on the pumps and autos.
A friend brought me his Remington 1187, 12GA, took it to the range and loaded three 3" shells. Shot the first one and inspected the hull. Could not believe what I saw; The high brass plated base, was ruptured; the base was cracked around the rim and some of the rims separated from the rest of the brass. The choke -tube that was present Extra-Full, Turkey choke. Took it back to the shop and inspected it and could find anything wrong with the shotgun. Went back to the range and this time cycled some Low-Alum Game loads through it without any issues.

I am now suspecting that the problem is in the Shot-Shells. They are Federal High-Power #6 's. My next step is to try them on a Pump and check that. ..

Requesting and appreciating your input on what Y'all think, might be the problem. ???

Be Safe !!!
Old October 6, 2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Baldrick

The obvious question: did the 11-87 have a 3 inch chamber? If not, maybe that's the problem? My old 1100s had 2 3/4 inch chambers. If I recall correctly, the bolt would close and lock up if you put a 3 inch shell in the 2 3/4 inch chamber, but nothing good would happen if you pulled the trigger.
Old October 6, 2019, 02:14 PM   #3
FITASC

^^^^^^ That's one aspect; secondly, the choke would be irrelevant in this scenario
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 6, 2019, 04:59 PM   #4
Virginian

All my 1100s will cycle the cheap Winchester Universals, but they rip about 30-35% of the bases just like you describe. Those shells tend to grip the chamber longer than others. Don't know if yours have the same issue or not. It's a fine line because my Wingmasters don't do it no matter how fast I shuck.
Old October 6, 2019, 06:47 PM   #5
FITASC

Steel-based ammo do not "retract" as well as brass after firing and in some guns, especially some of the later cheaper models, there can be a tad of roughness in the chamber making extraction difficult - this can lead to ripped off bases, stuck hulls, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa