The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 18, 2018, 10:40 PM   #1
hounddog409

Glomania USA

Has anyone tried this gun site paint?

Seems like a pretty decent alternative to replacing sites.
Or it can be a gimmick.....

https://www.glomania.com/gun-sight-g...-dark-kit.html
Old December 19, 2018, 03:37 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Almost everyone has tried it, and found it doesn't work worth a darn.
Old December 19, 2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Geezerbiker

+1 on that. I found it useless for anything else too. It only glows for a couple minutes after the lights go out...

Tony
Old December 19, 2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Winny

Really useful product if you have a couple minutes to “juice up” the sights with a flashlight and only plan on shooting for 2-5 minutes thereafter.

I’ll stick with nail polish and a sharpie.
Old December 19, 2018, 10:49 PM   #5
hounddog409

So any paint worth the effort?

Or stuck spending money on sights?
Old December 19, 2018, 10:56 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

No paint will do what you want.
Learn to point-shoot your pistol accurately, and you don't need ANY sights.
Old December 20, 2018, 08:00 AM   #7
hounddog409

"No paint will do what you want.
Learn to point-shoot your pistol accurately, and you don't need ANY sights."

that is not an issue. I've been shooting for over 40 years......

The eyes ain't what they used to be. That is the issue, especially in less than ideal lighting.

Not sure about the "any sights" comment....never seen a competition shooter go with sights. Think the weight savings alone would be worth it.
Old December 22, 2018, 09:45 AM   #8
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
So any paint worth the effort?

Or stuck spending money on sights?
I am also in the 'old eyes' camp and for my 68 year old, bifocaled, eyes, I 'invested' in some bright front sights..they make a YUGE difference, to me. Ameriglo..for Glock42/17/19..Yes, they are essentially 'night sights' but the green/orange colors are very bright during the day..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 25, 2018, 12:17 AM   #9
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNret93
I am also in the 'old eyes' camp and for my 68 year old, bifocaled, eyes...
Ditto (except I'm still 65, not 68)... but yup, simply can't see clear as I did before bifocals. If I raise my head to use the bifocal part, can't see target as clearly... if I lower head slightly to use upper part of glasses, target is clear but the sites are a blur. NOT complaining... can adjust to that and shoot pretty well, but as was said, MUCH better in full light. Most of my rifles that can take a scope, now have one, for the same reasons. Never tried the stuff the OP asked about, but if it's like other paint that glows in the dark, it probably wouldn't last long enough for me. I do fine with white dots to frame the sites.
Old December 25, 2018, 02:58 AM   #10
Koda94

If your eyes are aging, don't forget you need to be able to identify the target too... glow in the dark sights are blinding. Buy a handheld tactical flashlight.
Old December 25, 2018, 09:53 AM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94 View Post
If your eyes are aging, don't forget you need to be able to identify the target too... glow in the dark sights are blinding. Buy a handheld tactical flashlight.
got this for G-17..
https://www.olightstore.com/olight-pl-mini

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 26, 2018, 09:04 AM   #12
John D

I've found appliance "touch up" paint from the hardware store works well, particularly the bright white. Don't use the brush in the bottle; a toothpick usually works well.
Old December 26, 2018, 10:37 AM   #13
5whiskey

Hounddog I have used a similar paint called Glow-On. I can't attest to glowmania, but Glow-on works quite well. I can charge it with a flashlight for about 10 seconds and I have legitimately useable sights for about 30 minutes. They can still be faintly seen after nearly an hour, but I wouldn't declare them useable.

Not ideal for an EDC pistol, but I can think of situations where it could possibly be useful.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 26, 2018, 11:52 AM   #14
Koda94

I think glow sights are gimmiks. The last thing I want in an emergency is sights that I have no time to "charge" and have varying degrees of brightness that I have to adjust for from barely usable 5o blinding and illuminating myself as a target.

Although the need for night sights at all is debateable, if thats what you want get the real night sights at least they are consistent and formulated to just the right brightness level to identify your sights in low light conditions
Old December 26, 2018, 12:47 PM   #15
Mike38

Quote:
No paint will do what you want.
Learn to point-shoot your pistol accurately, and you don't need ANY sights.
At 5-10 yards, sure. Some of us shoot out to 50 yards on a regular basis. It's impossible to hit paper at 50 yards point-shooting.
Old December 26, 2018, 12:54 PM   #16
Koda94

50yd pistol shots at night ? ....on a regular basis?
Old December 26, 2018, 08:29 PM   #17
Alber

Glow in the dark paint compared to Tritium or Fiber-Optic

The main difference with Glow in the dark paint compared to Tritium or fiber optic is that it is a lot cheaper. Tritium is radio active and not suitable for all types of sights. Fiber Optic need light for the sights to be seen again not suitable for all sights. Glow in the Dark can be used on just about any sight even on your shell casings! You may think it's a gimmick but it does have some plus points to it.
The glow in the dark kits that are out there come in 2 different types, those that are pre-mixed and have a certain amount of crystals within the paint (Glo-on) and those that you make and mix yourself like Glomania's . The later is the better for one main reason you can add as much pigment as needed for the sights. The other type is fixed maid with an acrylic medium and placing just a small blob on the markings may have only a small amount of glow crystals within it.
Glow in the dark is a crystal that charges and emits its glow constantly as long as there is a light source to charge it. Concealed carry stops the crystals from charging and so they will fade down over time, but will recharge as soon as they get some light.
One of the other criticisms of Glow in the Dark pigments and paints is that they fade down too quickly and so you cannot see the glow after about half an hour. Yes this is correct if your eyes are not adjusted to the darkness, going from a bright environment straight in to say a dark ally there is going to be some time for your eyes to compensate to be able to see shadows. However if you had your weapon by the side of your bed and woke quickly in the night it will still be glowing not as bright but well enough for you to see your markings clearly.
To use the Glomania Glow in the Dark Kit correctly you would need to place or keep a white base on your sights and then paint over with the pigment and hardener mix, yes you can get the mix in 6 + colors however Green, Blue or White are the best and brightest. The reason for the white base helps refract light back into the underside of the crystals making them charge quicker and stronger.
For $15.00 you can paint a large number of sights. I hope this helps answer some of those questions you are having.
PS Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Last edited by Alber; December 26, 2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Old December 27, 2018, 06:35 AM   #18
Mike38

Quote:
50yd pistol shots at night ? ....on a regular basis?
I don't have a pistol dedicated "For night time use only". I can't afford that luxury. I shoot them during the day. Unless you're Law Enforcement, 99.9% of the people reading this will never have to shoot a gun at night. And if it's so dark that all you can see is a glowing dot on your sight, how are you going to be able to see the target. One of the firearms safety rules "Know your target and what's beyond it."
Old December 27, 2018, 11:12 AM   #19
K_Mac

Mike38 being able to see my sights in a low light situation, or any other is very desirable in my opinion. That is not in opposition to the 4 Rules. Since this is not a thread about the efficacy of having, or even seeing sights on a handgun I will leave it there.

I've purchased and used the glow on paint in the past. If you keep it charged and the lights go out it has some short term usefulness, but not enough for me to recommend it.
Old December 27, 2018, 11:49 AM   #20
Ricklin

Trying this trick

I recently purchased a Govt. model .45, the sights are pretty small.

I painted the top of the front sight with White Out. My wife had a white-out pen style dispenser on her desk.

It really worked well. Super easy. The tip is like a large ballpoint pen, squeeze the portion of the barrel to get flow of white out liquid.

It works really really well!. I was able to place the "paint" exactly where I wanted it, perfect.

The big question is durability. Time will tell. The plus is it's really easy to "refresh" if it does not hold up.