The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2018, 01:31 AM   #1
Prof Young

Steven 258B bolt action 20 ga

So elsewhere I've posted some bits and pieces about a bolt action Stevens 20ga I bought at auction. It came with a magazine that is a piece of junk. Thing falls apart when trying to load it and if you do manage to load it the shells don't feed and the second shot hangs up in the magazine. From looking on line the magazine I have looks to be an after market. There is no manufacturer name on it. Nunrich has a new magazine, and while a touch pricey it is made by Savage so I'm hoping it works as it should. Haven't shot the gun yet, but that should happen soon.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 2, 2018, 09:22 AM   #2
stuckinthe60s

the mag will be worth more than the gun.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 6, 2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Prof Young

Works . . .

The mag from Nunrich was $30 and works just fine. Without it the gun is a single shot, which is okay, but a bolt action shotgun is a lot more fun with three shots.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 6, 2018, 11:42 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Watch out for rim-lock in the magazine. It's quite a pain in the butt to fix, if it happens.
Old March 9, 2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Prof Young

Rim-lock . . . I think I know but . . .

FrankenMauser - I think that was the problem with the magazine that came with the gun. Shell at the bottom would not slide up. It was locked in place by the rim being jammed at an angle in the rear slot.

New magazine dosen't do that but man is it hard to get the magazine pushed all the way in when there is already one in the chamber. First two times I shot it with the magazine in the mag popped out of the gun.

This is fun to shoot but has enough problems that it's not much more than a range toy or to do some shotgun plinking.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old March 10, 2018, 05:16 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Understood. It sounds like the original magazine may have been smashed at some point.

Be careful to not stick the forward magazine guide inside the magazine. It's a common problem with shooters new to handling mine; and I believe the primary reason for people running into difficulty with insertion.

But, of course, all of my experience is based on a sample size of one -- which, itself, was damaged, repaired, and modified before any testing.

---

I picked mine up at an auction, as well. It was, however, sold as a "parts gun" because it had been rolled over by a horse. The barrel was bent, the fire controls were damaged, and the stock was absolutely shattered. I got it mostly fixed up, and it turned out to be worth keeping around.

Other than the safety*, it works well enough that it actually goes on hunting trips and a couple family members keep asking to buy it from me.

People carrying it do have to keep the two major flaws in mind, though:
1. Don't trust the safety*. Just keep the chamber empty.
2. Rim-lock in the magazine. Incorrect loading, or a slip while attempting to unload the magazine will jam 'er good and proper.

*(My safety was damaged. It's not a design flaw, from what I recall. -But it's been a few years since I had that action out of the stock to refresh my memory. Heck, I may have even removed the safety entirely, just so people wouldn't try to use it. Other people use that shotgun so much more than I do, that I haven't fired it in years.)