The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 10, 2014, 04:15 PM   #26
Dirty_Harry

I keep a simple TLR1 on my P30 and AR15. You dont have to use it, and I figure its better to have it and not need it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old December 10, 2014, 04:52 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Yes, they're good and serve a very good purpose.

I'm in Miami, FL. Where we get hurricanes, storms, and floods. The power goes out and law enforcement isn't really around. Usually after a hurricane and there being no power for days to a week. I have an AR strapped to my back and I don't sleep. (looters and thieves) Hasn't happened in a while but living here in this tropical weather state, it can happen with little to no notice. But I digress.

Weapon mounted lights.

1 hand operating the weapon and 1 hand operating freely. To open doors, move a loved on, etc.

The flawed logic of carrying a handheld being better because they'll shoot at the weapon mounted light but somehow they won't do the same to a handheld, is just.. stupid..

Stay in retention, close to your body if need be, flash the temp mode, don't leave it on all the time like you wouldn't do any time anyways.

There isn't anything solidly proving against weapon mounted lights. Usually those who haven't had it or trained with it are the ones knocking it negatively.
Old December 10, 2014, 06:24 PM   #28
Frank Ettin
Staff

A lot depends on how you train. So far, my training has involved the use of a separate, hand-held flashlight. We did quite a few night exercises with that set up at my last class at Gunsite. Any issues with using the support hand in gun manipulation were resolved by using a short lanyard on the flashlight. That way the flashlight could be released, controlled and retrieved easily if one needed both hands for something. Shooting techniques like the Harries or Chapman allow good, two handed recoil control.

The job can be done with a separate, hand-held flashlight; and that offers greater flexibility. However, it probably requires more training and practice.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 13, 2014, 12:40 AM   #29
Tactical Jackalope

I remember training with the handheld light. I was personally much faster in my transition to weapon mounted. Now that's all I stick to for defense.

I still carry a handheld, because not everything that needs illuminating needs a gun pointed at it.
Old December 13, 2014, 10:59 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

I also have LED night lights spread through my home.
I don't/won't use a weapon mounted flashlight.
I don't use any flashlights.
I do have headlamps, but do not use them in any sort of defensive situation. They are great for backpacking, most plumbing, and convincing talkative neighbors not to start conversations.
Old December 13, 2014, 11:07 PM   #31
tomrkba

Quote:
Some folks think it's bad to point muzzle at something just to see what it is, thus it's better to have a separate flashlight in your other hand.
Most folks don't know what they're doing when it comes to using firearms defensively. They think they have to point a light at something to identify it. They don't know that light splashes off various surfaces when the gun is held at the low ready and they can still identify the target. I find it amazing that so many people reject attending serious training because they think they don't need it.

It's actually brighter than shown in the picture. I can see the framed pictures on the table more clearly than this photo shows.

Last edited by tomrkba; December 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old December 16, 2014, 07:44 AM   #32
Brotherbadger

I agree with almost everybody here. Mounted on the firearm to be activated by my non dominate hand. Activate the light in the low ready position and you can identify any possible threats.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old December 17, 2014, 03:32 AM   #33
Justice06RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954
To me, the fewer accessories that I have on the gun, the more reliable the weapon is. What happens if they do not work and you are used to having them?
I would also prefer that the intruder not know for certain what direction that I am coming from.
Technically the flashlight does not affect the reliability of the gun itself.

Obviously any accessory like flashlights and optics can fail, which is why you should buy the best brand you can afford (Surefire flashlights, Aimpoint optics, etc).

As far as the intruder not knowing where you are, you can still surprise them even with a light since you will know the layout of your home better than him. Proper use of the light is key.

The main purpose of flashlights, whether its weapon-mounted or not, is Target Identification. But it can also be used to help you move around dark places in case the electricity goes out.
If you don't live alone and have friends/family living with you, its important to ID the person before you shoot them thinking they're a bad guy. (If you live alone, then different story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelmore
Just turn on the lights.
Not always ideal esp if power is out...
Old December 17, 2014, 01:07 PM   #34
RAfiringline

>I remember training with the handheld light. I was personally much faster in my transition to weapon mounted. Now that's all I stick to for defense.

I still carry a handheld, because not everything that needs illuminating needs a gun pointed at it.<

I think having a light on the gun, but having a handheld that's used until you're sure the "intruder" isn't just some family member bumbling around, is a good way to go.

A lot of sensible replies - thanks to all.
Old December 17, 2014, 06:04 PM   #35
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
Technically the flashlight does not affect the reliability of the gun itself.
So you believe that Streamlight is lying about their flashlights affecting reliability? You believe that a flashlight company wants to sell LESS flashlights by falsely claiming that their lights may make one of the most popular semiautos made become unreliable?

Quote:
Q: Are there Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols?
A: Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable.

A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.

On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine.
http://www.streamlight.com/faq/
Old December 19, 2014, 08:58 AM   #36
johnelmore

What might be a consideration is the type of flashlight to go with that pistol. Fenix makes some very bright high quality led lights ideal for any situation.

Most of their flashlights can illuminate an entire bedroom and not just the space ahead.
Old January 11, 2015, 08:07 AM   #37
Mannlicher

my dedicated HD weapon is a Springfield 1911-A1, I have an extra capacity magazine, a Surefire X300, and tritium sights on it. This set up works well for me as a camp gun as well.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 13, 2015, 03:27 PM   #38
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Just turn on the lights.
Every time we talk about weapon lights someone says that.

Have you considered that sometimes a person must walk to the other side of the room to turn on the lights? Not every house has the number of outlets to line the room with nightlights. It is not practical to have a lamp or install a new light switch at every doorway or hall.

As tomrkba showed, a weaponlight, shined at the floor can illuminate a room.

To the people that say the light will give them something to aim at, if you turn on room lights, you are under just as much illumination as everyone else in the room.
Old January 13, 2015, 04:25 PM   #39
Gunfixr

I keep a light on the "nightstand gun", and have a light I can install or remove on several different guns if needed. There are small nightlights scattered about the house from when the children were small.
Most times, you can see well enough to tell, but I have gotten up with pistol in hand only to discover one of the children standing in the living room looking lost. He got lit up, but indirectly, the muzzle was not on him.
Scared him pretty bad, that very bright light out of the darkness. I had explained that getting up in the night should involve going to the bathroom and back, or to mom, not to wander aimlessly about. After that, he got it.
Really, if it is a bad guy, unless he has heard you, the light will draw his attention, and if you see the wrong guy turning around, just swing the light to his eyes, he will still be blinded.
The sudden light, even if ambient, will reset his ooda loop. Hitting his eyes after that will do it again, plus flash blind the eyes.
Old January 13, 2015, 04:28 PM   #40
Gunfixr

Now, the son has moved out, the daughter in the room next to ours.
When I get out of bed and my wife is still there, and daughter in the room next to ours, the rest of the house should be empty.
Old January 17, 2015, 09:45 PM   #41
Sergeant

I think the best option is always one that will let you turn the light on and off as needed. No sense continuingly giving your exact position away. And not tie you up if you need to engage a target.
Old January 18, 2015, 01:07 AM   #42
DUB

lights

Many posters addressed important issues,but not the one I'm most
concerned about.As the OP said,won't a gun mounted or hand held
light just give the intruder a good target?
Old January 18, 2015, 12:39 PM   #43
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfixr
When I get out of bed and my wife is still there, and daughter in the room next to ours, the rest of the house should be empty.
It's that "should" part that'll get you. Not much fun if you blow that "intruder" away because your wife is in bed and your daughter should be in her bedroom, then find out that the "intruder" was your daughter sneaking in after visiting her boyfriend.
Old January 18, 2015, 12:59 PM   #44
psalm7

If I opt for my Mini14 I have a mounted light if something eles I carry a flashlight . The idea to me is turn it on when needed and then turn it back off . One night years ago I heard a car stop infront of our house . I grab my 870 doose gun and Maglight go out the back door and make my way around to the front all steathy so far . Then my Wife gets scared ant turns the front poruch light on . Turns out it was a carload of teenagers that were just rideing around out in the Country and stopped to change drivers . Not sure who was the scaredist when the light came on me or the teens looking at me carrying that huge 12ga .