The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old October 15, 2018, 09:56 PM   #26
blackwidowp61

I believe I read that the OP decided on 30-06. Why continue to beat on a dead horse???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old October 15, 2018, 10:48 PM   #27
Dano4734

06 for sure and I would invest in a Weatherby or tika but not Remington but that’s just me. My Weatherby 06 is amazing accurate
Old October 16, 2018, 11:54 AM   #28
RC20

Quote:
I believe I read that the OP decided on 30-06. Why continue to beat on a dead horse???
Because we are horse beaters?
Old October 16, 2018, 12:05 PM   #29
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidowp61 View Post
And these debates rarely get old! (Unless the involve the 6.5 Creedmoor)

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old October 16, 2018, 01:00 PM   #30
reinert

And, once again,

"The 30-06 is never a mistake."

(Col. Townsend Whelen, Mr. Rifleman)
Old October 16, 2018, 02:22 PM   #31
Nevmavrick

The reason for the "beat" is not just the OP. There are lurkers that enjoy the reading and opinions.
The .300 Mag, when reloaded is headspaced on the shoulder, not the belt. The belt is only used on the factory round.
The OP said the vast use of the rifle would be informal paper at 600 yards, and if THAT is the max, I would concure that the '06 would be fine. Align the sights and have fun. If he'd like to progress, and decides to shoot some form of long-range competition, he would be experienced with a popular caliber in a familiar rifle.
Where I shoot, there is a bunch of wind. It's so bad here that you get so used to standing against it that you fall over when it stops.
Under these conditions, I believe the .300 is an advantage, so use one, usually with 200gr target bullets at max velocity. I have used one long enough I don't have trouble with it. With the amount of shooting being done, the costs no longer matter.
The '06 was a wise choice,
have fun,
Gene
Old October 16, 2018, 09:13 PM   #32
blackwidowp61

OK. Since the nag ain't gonna mind, I'll take a swing. '06 is a winner. Cheaper to reload, doesn't bang you around as much, and with the proper load for your rifle, you can get MOLB accuracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old October 17, 2018, 10:25 PM   #33
tangolima

30-06 and 300 win mag indeed have the same bullet diameter. But 300 win mag is more limited in bullet choice. Something to do with the short neck and long brass length. Certain bullets simply can't be used in 300 win mag without exceeding COAL max. You will know when you handload that round enough.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 18, 2018, 09:45 AM   #34
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima
But 300 win mag is more limited in bullet choice. Something to do with the short neck and long brass length. Certain bullets simply can't be used in 300 win mag without exceeding COAL max. You will know when you handload that round enough.
I don't see COAL being a major issue until you go heavier than 220 grains. You can get factory ammunition loaded with 220 grain SMK and 215 grain Berger VLD bullets loaded to SAAMI COAL, so I really don't see the .300 WM being all that limited by COAL. Those are all bullets you can't get in .30-06 ammunition unless you order custom or reload anyway so again COAL shouldn't be an issue.
Old October 18, 2018, 11:59 AM   #35
Jim Watson

Bart used to say that .308 was demonstrably more accurate than .30-06.
And with more choice in guns these days.
Old October 18, 2018, 03:54 PM   #36
Paul B.

Guess I'll get a few mad at me but the belt on a magnum cartridge is a non-issue. It's all in how you set up your sizing die. Do it right and for all practical purposes, the belt no longer exists.

This is how I set up my sizing die for bottleneck cartridges and I load from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby and it works. It's a cut and paste I have stored as I got tired typing it up every time someone had problems. It helps keep brass life last longer.

This is how I set up my sizing die for bottleneck cartridges.

1. Take a once fired factory round and blacken the neck and shoulders with a Magic Marker or Sharpee pen. Some people like to smoke the neck and shoulder, but I find the Magic Marker/Sharpee pen a bit better.

2. Carefully lubricate the case.

3. Loosen the lock ring on the sizing die and back off about two turns from when the die is set to touch the shell holder.

4. Size the case. Note where the marks are on the case and turn the die down about a half a turn and size again. Turn down some more, and resize again. What you are looking for is the marks on the blackening just touching the shoulder.

5. Clean the lube from the case and try it in the rifle. It may chamber just a bit on the snug side. If so, turn the die down ever so slightly, lube and size again. Wipe off the lube and try in the rifle. If it slides in as easily as a factory round, you should be good to go. If not, usually one more very slight adjustment should fix the problem.

6. Tighten the locking ring for the die and you're done. You have just set your sizing die up for a custom fit to your specific rifle, rather than a generic one size fits all guns.

Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
Old November 1, 2018, 06:25 PM   #37
ifithitu

I'm glad I found this thread,i'm going to buy a 30-06,all I got to do now is choose the name brand I want!
Old November 1, 2018, 06:43 PM   #38
RC20

Quote:
If it is going to be a hunting gun the 30.06 would be the one for me !!!
Well its a target gun, but still better all around than the 300 WM

That said, one of the best options is to buy a Savage, get a Bull Barrel from Shillen (which I did) and you have yourself one heck of a target rifle.

The best chassis is a Savage BTH, the TH stock oddly enough works really good for target shooting (at least recreational)

Older Savage is better as it has the top bolt release. It would come with a Segmented nut so easier to get the barrel off with the wrench.