The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 6, 2018, 02:23 PM   #1
LineStretcher

Walmart Weatherby Vanguard Closeout Sale

I just bought 3. A .308 Win, .270 Win and .243 Win. 249.00 each. There were two others but they were Gen 1. All are Deluxes. These Rifles in no way compare to a Mark V but they are a lot better than a Remington 700. They do have screw on barrels and are essentially a Howa 1500. Lots of aftermarket upgrades available.

At my Walmart, they had them all in the back room and I had to ask if they had any. I suspect you may have to do the same.

Darn good deal if you want a decent rifle cheap.
Old September 6, 2018, 04:59 PM   #2
dgludwig

I can't imagine a better deal out there for a new, quality bolt-action rifle.
Old September 7, 2018, 03:42 AM   #3
eastbank

I bought two of the vanguards selects for 249+tax, a .270 and a 3006 for Christmas presents this year at our local Walmart. a very good deal to be sure.
Old September 7, 2018, 09:58 PM   #4
LineStretcher

I think I just insulted Swarovski by putting their X5 on a 249.00 rifle. Mounted it on the 270 Win.
Old September 7, 2018, 11:40 PM   #5
ozarkhillbilly

How long ago did you pick them up?
Old September 8, 2018, 02:04 AM   #6
eastbank

not quite weeks ago.
Old September 8, 2018, 09:47 AM   #7
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkhillbilly View Post
How long ago did you pick them up?
Friday, Sept. 7th. Two left at the Fernley, NV store. A 270 and 243.
Old September 8, 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Eazyeach

Went to my local Wally World to check on a .308, but alas they didn’t have any Weatherbys. Not that I need a .308 or any centerfire bolt gun. But at that price I had to check. Heck that’s cheaper than a 10/22!
Old September 8, 2018, 04:20 PM   #9
FairWarning

Yikes! I'm going to have to make a visit just to see if anything is left near me! That is smokin' for a rifle of that quality!
Old September 9, 2018, 10:54 AM   #10
turkeestalker

I spoke with the clerk at one of the ones near me last week, he said that a local gun shop cleaned out I believe four or five of the local Walmart stores of them within an hour of being put on sale.

He said that the deluxe wood stock models went for about $350 and I know that they had two of those at that location.

Guessing as it used to be on 22 lr ammo, he had an inside track on what was happening when.

Haven't checked the shop yet to see what price he has on them, it's not one that I frequent.
Old September 9, 2018, 11:43 AM   #11
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
I think I just insulted Swarovski by putting their X5 on a 249.00 rifle. Mounted it on the 270 Win.
I'll bet they will forgive you if you buy a couple more to make amends.....

Nice rig!
Old September 9, 2018, 11:52 AM   #12
LineStretcher

I was pretty surprised to find that they had 5 in stock at the Fernely, NV Walmart Super Store. I heard about it on the Internet and I wasn't sure when they actually went on sale. The gun store that bought those had better state that they are not standard Vanguards but a model produced for Walmart and Walmart pricing or he could get himself in trouble. They have good bones and easily 1/2 off of list. You and do a lot to make them right and still stay in budget. I have to wait a week (3 gun per week rule)before I can go back in and get the other two if they're still around. I couldn't reserve them.
Old September 9, 2018, 12:31 PM   #13
eastbank

why would he get into trouble? they are weatherby vanguard select rifles. other outlets are selling the same vanguard select rifles for between 400-500 dollars, the same grade as Remington SPS rifle and savage rifles made at a price point for budge minded hunters
Old September 9, 2018, 09:11 PM   #14
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
why would he get into trouble? they are weatherby vanguard select rifles. other outlets are selling the same vanguard select rifles for between 400-500 dollars, the same grade as Remington SPS rifle and savage rifles made at a price point for budge minded hunters
So what happens if he sells a gun and it gets sent in for Warranty work. What if Weatherby tells him it was sold by Walmart and then he finds out it was clearance item. Youd be surprised how often get rich quick schemes backfire.
Old September 9, 2018, 10:07 PM   #15
Doyle

Quote:
So what happens if he sells a gun and it gets sent in for Warranty work. What if Weatherby tells him it was sold by Walmart and then he finds out it was clearance item. Youd be surprised how often get rich quick schemes backfire.
Weatherby would know only that it was shipped to Walmart. They have no knowledge (neither would they care) about what price Walmart sells it for.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:47 AM   #16
eastbank

right on. I bought a marlin 1895 in 45-70 at Walmart about six months ago for 299.00 and sent in the marlin 50.00 rebate and received a check from marlin.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:43 AM   #17
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Weatherby would know only that it was shipped to Walmart. They have no knowledge (neither would they care) about what price Walmart sells it for.
While that may be true, the clearance prices are widely known now. If you want to be in business and stay in business you have to be upfront and honest with your customers or you wont be in business very long.
Old September 10, 2018, 12:47 PM   #18
eastbank

how many times have you ask a dealer who the wholesaler was he got his rifles from? I have bought a lot of new rifles over the last 55 years and never ask that or seen any one else ask. I assume the dealer shops for the best wholesale price to make his profit margin, i didn,t care where it came from as long as I thought I was getting a good deal compared to other shops. are you a little pissed you didn,t get there first?
Old September 10, 2018, 01:22 PM   #19
LineStretcher

The problem is that he did not buy them from a Wholesale dealer, he bought them from a retail dealer. Did he use his FFL to buy them or did he buy them for personal use? If he bought them as if they were for his personal use then he really needs to be careful because it might be viewed as a straw purchase. If he did buy it for personal use and then sells it as new that would be fraud because it would technically be a used rifle.

I'm not saying that your friend is in anyway trying to mislead his customer intentionally but that may be the end result so it would be best if he was up front with his customers.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:14 PM   #20
eastbank

as long as they are entered into his ffl record book, either from him or from Walmart he will be good to go.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:15 PM   #21
LineStretcher

The .308 got a little makeover today. I put a Hogue overmolded, fully bedded stock on it and made a set of bases out of an old Howa rail I had. The rings are Leupold and the scope is a Swarovski VX5 3x18-50 long range. I had a Caldwell bipod that had the sling mount adapter so I put it on. I have an Atlas that will go on it as soon as the mount arrives. A Timney trigger is on the way. I really dont like the feel of the standard Vanguard Trigger. I have a Howa 10 round Magazine and trigger guard coming also. Ill post more pics as soon as the rest of the parts arrive.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:16 PM   #22
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
as long as they are entered into his ffl record book, either from him or from Walmart he will be good to go.
You're missing the point so let's just drop it.
Old September 11, 2018, 05:45 AM   #23
eastbank

no, your missing the point, weatherby does not care and as long as there is a paper trail the batf does not care either. they are still brand new,never fired rifles. no different than a rifle bought from midway-buds or another wholesaler..
Old September 11, 2018, 10:43 AM   #24
LineStretcher

Now your just trolling me. I said drop it. Go away and bother someone else.
Old September 11, 2018, 12:39 PM   #25
eastbank

not trolling any one, just stating a fact. maybe you should think before you post that a member may be breaking the law.