The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2019, 04:55 PM   #1
CMarsh

Low recoil load 45acp for SW 625 with 6in barrel

I am getting into reload and looking for low recoil 45acp load. I am shooting a SW625 with a 6in barrel. I would like to make it a low as possible. I will be doing steel shooting so I dont need to make power factor. Before I go out and buy everything I need I would like to have a recipe that way I can get the right powder and bullet.
Old January 21, 2019, 05:08 PM   #2
David R

You are going to get lots of answers.

3.5 Bullseye with a 200 grain SWC. Should be in the low to mid 600s. I don't know of much lower than that.

Have fun!
David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old January 21, 2019, 05:39 PM   #3
44caliberkid

Any load using 185 or 200 grain SWC, that is for bullseye target shooting, will be a peach in that N frame Smith.
Old January 21, 2019, 07:23 PM   #4
USSR

Good advice, going with loads used in Bullseye competition. Here's some loads using various powders.

200gr Lead SWC, Standard Primer, 3.9gr Red Dot:
200gr Lead SWC, Standard Primer, 3.8gr 700X:
200gr Lead SWC, Standard Primer, 3.8gr Bullseye:
200gr Lead SWC, Standard Primer, 4.0gr WST:
200gr Lead SWC, Standard Primer, 4.1gr AA#2:
200gr Lead SWC, Standard Primer, 4.2gr W231:

Don
Old January 21, 2019, 09:03 PM   #5
AzShooter

If you are doing steel shooting you will need to reload fast and the only bullet to consider is a round nose. I like 225 - 230 grain lead round nose with 3.5 grains of Bullseye. They are slow and very accurate.

Avoid wadcutters. They will hang up on the rim when reloading at the speeds you need.
Old January 21, 2019, 10:49 PM   #6
74A95

For really low recoil you could go slow to moderate velocity with a very light bullet, = 155-165 grain, and a rounded nose for easy feeding into your wheel gun. Take a look at the bullets offered here:

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...index&cPath=71
Old January 22, 2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Dave T

Where did you find a 6" M-625? I've seen 3", 4" & 5" versions but never a 6".

Dave
Old January 22, 2019, 11:01 AM   #8
black mamba

Red Dot, 700X and American Select all are very bulky and roughly the same fast burning rate. 3½ to 4 grains of any of these under a 200 grain plated round nose will give good accuracy and be very mild recoiling.
Old January 22, 2019, 04:21 PM   #9
CMarsh

Dave it is a custom job with titanium cylinder and bobed hammer.
Thanks everyone for the input very helpful. Last question. I am getting reload press but what should I get? Not counting powder, bullets, primer, and case. I have a budget of 250 for a press. I would mostly use it pistol rounds 9mm 45acp. The only rifle round I might load is 6.5 creedmoor.
Old January 22, 2019, 07:24 PM   #10
USSR

CMarsh,

Definitely get a single stage press. The NRA Reloading Course I teach specifies that, as it's hard enough learning something new without adding a lot of things going on at once. The RCBS Rockchucker is probably the most popular, and it would be a good choice. They generally sell for a little over $150.

Don
Old January 23, 2019, 07:50 PM   #11
rodfac

^^^Good advice, USSR, and many thanks, also, for the reduced recoil loads, you posted earlier.

I've long had a S&W M25 Model of 1955 Target that I've usually shot with my standard .45 ACP loads (5.0-5.4 gr of 231 with 200 gr H&G's #68's), but have not scratched an itch to try some really low speed ones. I'll give 'em a try.

Thx again, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 23, 2019, 08:27 PM   #12
dgludwig

TrailBoss might be a good powder to consider. One advantage of this powder is that it's so bulky, you'd need a shoehorn to inadvertently double-charge a case with it. Some of the faster burning stuff like Unique and Bullseye don't occupy much case space when loaded for typical Bullseye competition applications.
Old January 23, 2019, 09:01 PM   #13
Drm50

I have a few 25s. I don't shoot heavy loads in any of my N frames or K frames. I have only
one 25-5 83/8" set up to shoot 250gr cast RNFP. The rest are set up for 242gr cast WCs.
and -2s set up for 185gr target style cast bullet. All loaded with Unique at about 750 fps.
-2s loaded in 45 AR brass. Very pleasant to shoot and very accurate. I don't shoot any jacketed bullets in these revolvers. They are all for paper punching and all 6-6.5" barrels except for the one -5. I've got a couple 24s that are set up for 185g WCs also loaded with
Unique at same velocities.
Old January 24, 2019, 09:57 AM   #14
USSR

For you guys with the Model 25's (-2 and -5), what are you finding your cylinder throats to be? I've got a 25-5 with the correct .452" throats, but my other 25-5 and my 25-2 have the large .455" throats.

Don
Old January 24, 2019, 10:04 AM   #15
David R

My model 25-? Says "Model of 1989" lasered on the barrel, 452 shoots great. .451 is terrible,

David
Old January 24, 2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Japle

Google 45acp “geezer load”.
It’s the Berry’s 185 HBRN over 4.2 – 4.3 gr of Clays. This load doesn’t quite have the steam needed to cycle my XD Tactical (I bump it up to 4.5 gr), but it’s great in my 625JM. The hardball shape lets it chamber easily.
Never chronoed it, but it’s very accurate and a pussycat to shoot.
Old January 24, 2019, 10:20 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Moving to the reloading forum.

Welcome to TFL, CMarsh.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2019, 11:42 AM   #18
mikld

Lots of good answers ("I use...").But I would suggest you find a load in your reloading manual(s) before you buy any components (and personally, I would go with a load in a manual waaay before I used a load I saw on a forum).

Just wondering, not condemning, I have been seeing a lot of requests for "light recoiling" loads on forums lately. Why? If shooting one of my 44 Magnums is tiresome, I would go down to mt 357 Magnums, and if I tire from them, I think I'd just shot my 38 Specials. When I reload I very rarely go below listed starting loads from my manuals and it's hard to get away from physics. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".
Old January 24, 2019, 12:09 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I have been seeing a lot of requests for "light recoiling" loads on forums lately. Why?"

Uhm, maybe because they want to shoot a particular gun, for whatever reason, but don't want to go full power out of it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2019, 01:42 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

3.5 of Bullseye is below minimum for a cast 200. 4.5 of Bullseye with a cast 230 is a nice gentle target load though. Only ever used it out of a 1911A1.
Old January 24, 2019, 04:18 PM   #21
Nick_C_S

Quote:
You are going to get lots of answers.
Heh heh, indeed you are

Quote:
3.5 Bullseye with a 200 grain SWC. Should be in the low to mid 600s. I don't know of much lower than that.
Yep, I landed at 3.4 grains with my 200 LSWC's. 662 f/s through a full-size 1911. 12Lb recoil spring. (The Colt I'll mention below.)

I also worked with the super fast propellants of Nitro 100 and VV N-310:

3.0gn N100 = 704 f/s.
3.2gn N310 = 678 f/s.

With all these, I tested even lower charge weights, but the soot and unspent propellant scattered about was just more than what I consider acceptable. The Vihtavuori N-310 was the cleanest.

Back story: I have a Colt 1911 'Series 80'. Purchased new in 1984, it was my first semi-auto. I really liked it and shot it a lot - a lot - for a couple decades. I probably have about 20 to 30K rounds through it - maybe more. These days, my old Colt is in a state of semi-retirement (I have a Kimber now that is my 1911 "beater" gun. I run it hard.) and the above-mentioned ammo is all I feed it these days.

About the press: I strongly recommend a single stage - especially for a beginner. I used only my RCBS (the brand I recommend) single stage for 31 years. It served me very well and couldn't be happier with it. It's still operational and runs like the day it was made. It was only until 2015 when I moved to a progressive.
Old January 24, 2019, 04:24 PM   #22
FITASC

Along with that press, allow enough money for a SCALE...........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 24, 2019, 08:32 PM   #23
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
"I have been seeing a lot of requests for "light recoiling" loads on forums lately. Why?"

Uhm, maybe because they want to shoot a particular gun, for whatever reason, but don't want to go full power out of it.
Duh. That may be an obvious answer, but with the number of questions I'm seeing, hardly a good answer. Lately I have been reading many of these questions on forums, appearing to be people buying guns too big for them, a trend? (remember all the "lightly used" 44 Magnums that flooded the market shortly after Dirty Harry? Many bought the big 44, shot it once and sold the gun). I've seen questions like "I bought my wife an LCR in 357 Magnum and I need a light load". Just asking "why" for a logical reason and to bring up reasonable conversation. I really couldn't care less what anybody else shoots....
Old January 25, 2019, 09:13 AM   #24
CMarsh

For me I wanted to level the playing field some. The few steel matchs I have done I find my follow up shot are slower than everyone elese. That is when I found out most of them are reloading and loading softer loads. SW 625 is a great platform for me. It is big enough to fit my hands, it use moon clips, and I already own 2 other 45s. I really dont want to have a bunch of diffrent cal pistols. I already have a bunch of diffrent cal rifle rounds and it is a nightmare to keeping them all feed.
Thanks again for all the great info! My local gun shop has a deal on RCBS so that is what I am going it. Also a lot of people seem to be using it.
Old January 25, 2019, 09:25 AM   #25
jmorris

A coated 230 grain RN pushed by 2.8 gn of Clays will make minor it is very soft. You can see the bullet going down range, 550fps+.

That’s using 45 ACP brass. I use GAP brass for my 45 ACP revolvers now because I don’t need tools to moon and demoon but only worked up major loads for 45 GAP brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ZrSfHrfd0

FWIW if you use SPP brass you can get a better trigger pull and still retain 100% ignition because they are easier to ignite. In other words if you back off the main spring to the point your revo starts giving you a click instead of a bang and like the way it feels, switch to SPP brass.