The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Old 454

Post your Lube recieps here

Looking for a good lube reciep. Possible two one for 380 9mm 45acp 357(mild load)

the other for hot loaded 454 casull and 357 using H110.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
fshfindr

I use car wax, I can never find Johnson's so whatever I can find. To about an ounce of wax I add a short squirt of White Lithium Grease. I mix & shake them up in paper cups and let them sit overnight. Only used for 150 light 357 loads. No lead in bbl yet. Sorry, I don't use exact measurements.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Lee Liquid Alox (LLA). If it's sticky you're using too much. I sometimes follow the 2nd coat with Rooster Jacket but I understand they're out of business. For BP I use SPG.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 7, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
chris in va

Johnsons paste wax, LLA and mineral spirits. Dries in about three hours under a fan.
Old June 8, 2013, 07:07 AM   #5
oldandslow

454, 6/8/13

If you haven't checked out the castboolits forum (www.castboolits.gunloads.com) you should as they have dozens of different lube recipes listed.

Most recipes have a stiffener (carnuba wax, bees wax or candle wax), Alox and a petroleum product of some sort.

I stumbled upon a good lube recipe with some simple to obtain products. I use Candle Wax/ Alox/ 90 wt gear oil in a 1-1-2 ratio. It's simple to mix, dries quickly and I have no leading in slow to medium pistol loads (800-1100 ft/sec) and mid to high rifle loads (1700 -2600 ft/sec.) with cast lead boolits. I even use it for my 770 grain fullbore 12 gauge shotgun slug work. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old June 8, 2013, 10:12 AM   #6
TXGunNut

LLA comes free with Lee sizing dies. I have all I'll need for awhile. The lube section over @ Castboolits has some great recipes if you want to brew your own.
Old June 8, 2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Rangefinder

Straight "mule snot" (LLA) for handgun, 45-45-10 for rifle on TL bullets AND conventional. Never a problem with either one. As the saying goes, "Fit Is King".

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 8, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8
snuffy

As much as I love experimenting, making my own lube is NOT something I ever thought of doing. Call me lazy, but I just buy my lube. It is NOT really expensive. So little is needed to place some in each lube groove. Yeah, you need a lubricator/sizer, or you can pan lube. You still need to size them.

My brother nearly burned the house down once, trying to make "dubbing wax" , it's used in making certain trout fishing flys. Got it too hot, it flashed to flame.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Glenn Larsen runs this company, he's a disabled vet and his lubes are top shelf, but his prices are very good. I use his carnuba red for everything that I size in a Lyman 450 lubrisizer. Because it works. It does require a heater for 2 Lyman 450's I have, which means it won't melt at summer heat, running off the boolit.(or into the powder inside the case).

I have several tumble lube boolits from lee, for those I lube using Lee LLA.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 8, 2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Shootest

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...ort=20a&page=2

With this guys prices I see no reason to make my own. Good stuff also.
Old June 9, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Mike / Tx

When I started out, I used straight LLA, and I purchased materials and blended up a batch of Felix Lube. This was what I had read would give me higher pressure loads and such. Well I still have a big ol chunk of the Felix, and am on my second batch of 45-45-10 after blending it up for testing.

With the 45-45-10, I have run every type of load though my revolvers with no issues relating to lube. Alloy has been an issue which is to be expected when pushing the limits of the softer stuff in magnum calibers. This said, once my current batch of 45-45-10 is used up, I will be ordering my next from Glen.

I also probably have enough Carnuba Red to run several thousand through, but right now I am limited to dipping or pan lubing and I only do this in small batches.

The sticky's over on CB's under the Lube section are a great source of info. It however is pretty easy to get overwhelmed in trying to figure out which one is ideal for your particular use. If one was only working with handguns, and velocities into the 1500fps range it's hard to beat the mule snot for ease of use and versatility.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:09 AM   #11
TXGunNut

Good point about Glenn. When I run out of LLA or find myself in a situation where LLA or SPG won't work I'll be ordering from him. He has versions of both as well as some hard lubes that are better than anything I'm likely to cook up, and I'm a pretty good cook!
Old June 10, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
myfriendis410

I developed this recipe to correct a problem I had been having in my Sharps with heavy cast bullets. T/C lube and Red Rooster were giving me trouble and this solved it.

1/2 cake of surf wax (carnauba)
1 toilet ring (beeswax and vaseline)
1 stick of paraffin (stiffener)
1 tsp STP oil treatment

Requires mild heat to deliver through the luber/sizer. Not smoky and fairly stiff with no stickiness.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

I went ahead and made this thread a sticky so we can see if we'll accumulate more recipes over time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 12, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
David Bachelder

I cast all of my pistol bullets. I also tumble lube them in Lee Liquid Alox and set them outside to dry. The Texas sun does a good job of it and it's free (9 to 10 months out of the year).

One thing I learned, it doesn't take much.

Just a little dab will do ya. (anyone remember that?)
Old June 15, 2013, 08:42 AM   #15
salvadore

Doesn't anyone use Darr formula lube? I've heard rumors that its pretty close to what SPG is.
Old June 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #16
Old 454

1/2 cake of surf wax (carnuba) is this like a can of carnuba wax ? I can find pure carnuba car wax, just want to make sure I do this right.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:42 AM   #17
myfriendis410

You can get the stuff at a surf shop or sporting goods store that has it. I get mine at Big 5: it's like $2.99 a cake. It's hard, not soft. I'm sure you could develop a lube using pure carnauba car wax but I'm not sure of the consistency after mixing.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Old 454

I will have to look around for it, here in the Midwest not much surfing going on.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #19
gwpercle

Easy Lube Recipe

50% beeswax
50% Lucas Red-N-Tacky, red lithium multipurpose grease (automotive)

Measure by volume, 1 cup to 1cup or 2 cups to 2 cups whatever amounts you want to make just measure by volume, not weight.
Gently heat , double boiler or hot plate use the lowest temperature, heat and blend with whisk. Increase heat as needed but be careful not to burn...too much heat and it turns dark brown/orange.
After mix has been blended ( red-n-tacky doesn't really melt just gets real soft) if any impurities are in the hot mix strain it through a piece of old tee-shirt or similar cloth or a metal strainer. Pour into moulds or straight into lubr/sizer reservoir. Soft lube that does not require any heat to use.

Gary
Old November 14, 2014, 12:06 PM   #20
gwpercle

Revised Easy Lube Recipe

The 50/50 blend is too soft and sticky for warm weather. It needs to be adjusted as follows:

1 part Red-N-Tacky Lithium Grease

3 parts Beeswax

If you have made up some of the 50/50, and find it too soft , just add a bit more beeswax or some paraffin wax to stiffen it up.
It gets hot and humid in South Louisiana and the revised formula works better for me.
Also you can use an old Crock-Pot to mix up lubes, helps with over heating . Long low heating, a metal whisk and lots of stirring will get it blended. It seems to help if you let it cool in the pot and reheat it to get everything homogenized.

Gary
Old April 13, 2015, 05:08 PM   #21
dagger dog

This lube is for low pressure straight walled cases, under 1800 fps. black or smokeless.

50% beeswax
40% Crisco
10% lanolin
by volume when liquid.

Can be thinned with vegetable oil for cold weather or thickened with beeswax for hot weather.

I pan lube but I have also poured the liquid into my Lyman 4500 lubesizer.
Old August 22, 2015, 05:59 AM   #22
stubbicatt

50/50 beeswax and crisco, by weight, with a touch of Canola oil, and a touch of Murphy's Oil Soap. Works in everything I shoot, including black powder. Inexpensive, works for pan lubing, works nicely in the Star lube-sizer. Somehow the Murphy's gives it stiffening, without making it so stiff that it pulls out of the grease grooves. Never had an issue with melted runny lube.

It is a variant of Emmerts, I understand.

Clean-up is a snap.

Last edited by stubbicatt; August 22, 2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old October 4, 2016, 08:58 PM   #23
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Bullet lube: Raidl Raidex animal marker Crayon sticks

I am located in Southamerica and we have here very limited reloading supplys.

Therefore I use These Raidl Raidex animal marker Crayon sticks made by Hauptner&Herberholz in Germany.
http://www.raidex.de/en/products/ani...ng-sticks.html

They do not lead at all. I use them for 9mm Luger and 38 spl deep seated shot in an 357 mag Revolver SAA 1873 model.

I just can recommend These for pistol reloading.
Old February 5, 2022, 11:17 PM   #24
Shadow9mm

So currently using a 5:1 of bees wax and frog lube paste.

Worked up 2:1 of bees wax and tc bore butter. Melted a touch easier than I preferred, but worked well