The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2020, 05:06 PM   #1
PolarFBear

Sizing .45 acp ???

Just starting in on the powder coating (P/C) process. I only use Lee dies for the 45 acp. Have always tumble lubed with Lee ALOX. No problems. Lots of lead down the barrels so far. But, now having some sizing issues. I use the Lee .452 sizing die, post powder coat. I seem to be getting a bulge at the base of the seated bullet. I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) as the final step. Looking at the Lyman Cast Bullet manual I find that they use a .451 cast bullet. I have ordered up a Lee .451 sizing die to have on hand. Seems like the FCD would "cure" any bumps or lumps. I have also tried rotating the finished round in the FCD and trying another pass. Some worked some did NOT. What are others doing?
Old October 28, 2020, 06:15 PM   #2
res45

I powder coat and size my 45 ACP bullet to .452" using the Lee push through sizer or the RCBS Lube A Matic if I get a wild hair and want to use traditional lube.

I use a Lyman pistol die set that has the M die expander, NOE also makes a pistol expander plug that goes inside the Lee Universal expander that works just as well with neither giving me any buldged cases. I also run my loaded rds. through the Lee FCD and have not noticed any différance in accuracy.

The Lee expander doesn't expand the case as much as the Lyman or NOE so that's probably why your seeing the bulge at the base of the bullet as the bullet is doing the final expanding of the case when it's seated.
Old October 28, 2020, 06:41 PM   #3
USSR

I size my cast .45 ACP bullets to .452" and apply White Label's BAC lube to the lube groove.

Don
Old October 28, 2020, 07:54 PM   #4
big al hunter

Quote:
I seem to be getting a bulge at the base of the seated bullet.
I get the same bulge on all of my straight wall pistol cartridges. If it doesn't stop the gun from cycling, I don't mess with it. Is your gun running well on the bulged cases?
Old October 28, 2020, 08:54 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Lee's factory crimp die is supposed to resize the loaded round to maximum SAAMI dimension for the cartridge. For .45 ACP, that would be .4730". If your bullets are .452" that leaves .021" for the thickness of two case walls, or a case thickness of .0105" with no bulge. Have you measured your case thickness?

The Lee #2 die in their 4-die sets isn't really an expander, the way dies from Lyman or RCBS are. The Lee powder through die doesn't expand the neck, it only flares the case mouth. Once the bullet gets started into the case, seating involves the bullet trying to expand the case while the case tries to compress the bullet. In that scenario, I think some bulge would be expected.

FWIW, Berry's plated 230-grain bullets for .45 ACP consistently measure .4515".
Jeepaholic
Old October 29, 2020, 06:49 AM   #6
PolarFBear

big al hunter: No, they do NOT run well in the firearms. They will NOT chamber in a Dan Wesson Pointman (this gun IS tight), they chamber somtimes in a Colt Series 80 and will almost fit in the .45 acp cylinder of a Ruger Blackhawk. When I Liquid Alox'd, the Lee tumble lubed, these same bullets (sans powder coating) chambered and shot just fine.

Aquila Blanca: I do charge with the Lee powder dispenser, at least on these loads. I use it on a Dillon 550b. I will have to research my "load log" to see if I used to use the Dillon powder system. I will examine the Dillon powder funnel to see how far down into the case it expands the case. I do have a Lyman "M" die; I'll check that as well.

I am STILL perplexed as to why the Lee Factory Crimp Die doesn't smooth everything out. Just goes to show why this hobby IS entertaiining. Change just "one" thing and it ALL changes.
Old October 30, 2020, 11:00 AM   #7
pete2

I get the bulge at the base of the bullet, use .452 cast 200 gr RN. Not a problem in my semi auto guns but they do hang in a 625 revolver I shoot. I bought the Lee taper crimp die with the sizing ring in it. Works fine and as far as I can tell on IDPA ammo accuracy is not affected. It would probably make a difference in precision(bullseye at 50 yards). My bullseye load is with a 200 SWC cast, also .452. I use a batch of GI cases and don't get the big bulge with them. The Lee die does not remove the bulge but it does reduce the size of it to the point where it will chamber. If it did completely straighten the case it would size the bullet to the extent it would mess up the accuracy due to the undersize bullet.
Old October 30, 2020, 09:06 PM   #8
big al hunter

Quote:
No, they do NOT run well in the firearms. They will NOT chamber in a Dan Wesson Pointman (this gun IS tight), they chamber somtimes in a Colt Series 80 and will almost fit in the .45 acp cylinder of a Ruger Blackhawk.
Well then, I would try a .451 sizer and see if they start functioning. Your sizer might be a smidge big, or the PC is springing back a little.....or both. Hopefully accuracy is still there.
Old October 31, 2020, 01:14 AM   #9
BJung

I suggest you slug your barrel. Maybe ask some fisherman for some worn out split shots or other fishing weights made of pure lead. Melt that and pour it into your mould. Ask some archer for a broken wooden arrow shaft and use that to drive the lubbed bullet through your barrel and measure the slugged lead. Then, melt and recast that lead for your other gun, slug it the same way and your resized PC bullet should be .001" larger. If your cases are bulging with he right sized bullets, I'd suggest you switch brass. I think Remington brass has thinner walls. You don't want to use your Lee Factory Crimp die to swage your properly sized bullet.